WesternOutlaw

Train Tunnels

Not quite sure which half-arch you're referring too, as I can't find any that are 4x4. This one can fit plates underneath, but I still can't figure out how to get that tile-effect. I tried fitting some headlight bricks under and attaching tiles to them, but I couldn't get it spaced right, so it just looked weird. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong...

My bad. 1x5x4 arch.

My bad. 1x5x4 arch.

How do you fit plates under those? I tried, but the gap underneath is too large for the studs.

How do you fit plates under those? I tried, but the gap underneath is too large for the studs.

With magic!:tongue:

It looks like the arch-pieces are left out intentionally, and that the arch is instead built with regular bricks set at and angle to each other instead. Using a flex-hose as a spine makes it possible to build a relatively solid and well-rounded arch using headlight-bricks as well. Could well have been some other trick used in that construction, but its kinda hard to tell.

When I decided I was building on multiple levels, mountains with tunnels through them became essential, as did viaducts/bridges linking them. This pic shows the layout in progress with 7 portals easily visible. I thought about making the tunnels longer, but despite numerous test runs while building, can't guarantee the layout to be derailment proof, so access of some sort is possible to even the deepest corner...

The viaduct at the back means I can access the points linking the two loops on the bottom, but because there is track running below it, I could only fit one support in along its length, so both mountains/tunnel sets needed to come around the corner to act as support for that as well. Equally, with the third level of track coming into play, the tops of the hills/mountains play a supporting role. The main one, here, is as planned, though the right hand side one went through quite a rebuild, coming forward and round the bend half way in the finished layout. (Compare the first pic of the layout part built with this one and see how it moved.) Otherwise I was going to end up with a lot of posts and pillars to hold the third track up. It's not massively realistic, but it works in the space I have.

Building a tunnel is often quite a huge brick-eater. I always wanted to built a tunnel for a layout, and when I finally tried it, I was shocked how fast it ate my bricks away. For the full core I used a lot of the brightly coloured bricks, and still I used all my grey from my castle collection.

Of course it all depends on what you want.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3891418

what if there is a crash in the tunnel...

Then I end up on my side with my arm stretched inside the tunnel! Despite running trains to test clearances etc during the build, they still derail occasionally, and Murphy's Law of Lego Trains is that they always derail at the most difficult spot to reach!

Andy

I will likely do open back tunnels in a corner (or two) of my layout, some day... in the future... eventually... when I have room for one.

I wouldn't make them solid... I have a number of 8x16 bricks (yes bricks) that I can make a structure with, then make a facade. I don't care about the tunnel not existing once you get two or three bricks inside.

That doesn't mean I can't experiment making some cool arches now...

Today on Train Tech, I'd like to bring up the topic of LEGO Train Tunnels. Why has LEGO never offered a stand-alone train tunnel set? Is a train tunnel too layout specific requiring extensive building and customization? Would a small train tunnel set similar to that of the Duplo tunnel be ideal for one wanting a tunnel on their tabletop layout? or is a good train tunnel just too large for LEGO?

I think the answer is pretty clear from various previous posts: a tunnel requires too many pieces, most of which will be basic bricks of the same colour or two, unless shading is used (like mixing different greys). If you add vegetation on top of it, it's many more pieces and they will be laid out more or less randomly to achieve some good realistic result. None of these features are good for a set on retail sale, which should be cheap enough, fun to build for kids (pseudo-random patterns of rock and plants are fun for AFOL but not for kids), and fun to play with for kids, which a big piece of mountain really isn't :)

In the best case, an exclusive set could be conceived. Still, I think it would cost 200e at least, and for that price even AFOLs want a "wow" factor that a piece of mountain cannot achieve, unless it's really massive.

When I was a kid I used to build tunnels and rocks from (non LEGO) chicken wire and papier-maché, it's cheap and can be painted in any colour you like. I plan on doing it again once I can make a nice track layout.

- Sok.

Guys, this topic is already almost a year old :(

@Sokratesz, papier-maché isn't understood by everyone and I think we are here more interested in LEGO solutions, it isn't miniature rail hobby of course is it?!

@momo, patrick has indeed a nice LEGO tunnel. We (cousin and I) built one for LEGOWorld in Zwolle the Netherlands some years ago with BURP rocks (BURP is a AFOL terms for Big Ugly Rock Pieces ;) but for a tunnel they are handy).

I find that this is a little repetitive, with a BURP while with green 2x4 or green 2x2 bricks it makes good. The technique of paper doesn't interest me I prefer the making brick.

Sorry about that, but I don't get what you mean. "I can't make chocolate out of it" to misuse some Dutch saying. I don't see a lot of repetitiveness in this topic.

I am currently building a non-Lego tunnel for my Lego trains in preparation for an eventual Lego tunnel.

I need a tunnel.

I need to see the light from my Engines coming around the corner of a tunnel.

It just needs to happen.

Edit: changed wording

Edited by Pingles

@Pingles, please be a little more gentle in the ways you say things. I want, I need, I... And although you want a tunnel and I can understand that (my dad made me a paper-mache one when I was 8 or so, good old 12V days ;)) and I also like tunnels, you better try to make one in LEGO Digital Designer or so. This isn't the place to discuss non-LEGO tunnels I guess...

Sites like http://www.floodland.nl/aim/ that are targeted to model railroads have nice ideas on how to use the materials you want to use.

@LEGO Man Can: they are just too expensive. You could buy a lot of LURP / BURP bricks from LEGO @ home.

I've built a couple of layouts with tunnels on multiple levels over the last 3 to 4 years. All of them are open sided/backed, only the visible sections are built to colour. The open sides etc help with access when there is a derailment etc.

As a rough estimate, based on Bricklink purchases specifically for the hills/tunnels on these layouts (the latest one it here) there are about 4,000 2x2 green bricks and about 1,000 other bricks made up of 2x3, 2x4, 1x1, 1x2 and other assorted bricks in the two tunnels. I don't want to think of the cost....

Andy

@Pingles, please be a little more gentle in the ways you say things. I want, I need, I...

Hmmm. I suppose I do need to watch my tone because I was being overly-dramatic on purpose to be humorous. I obviously did not word it effectively.

My tunnel will be for my Lego trains and I do plan on making it out of Lego. I was merely stating that I will be pre-modeling it out of non-Lego material to help fit it into my layout. After I have the dimensions and shape I'll be going to the Lego modeler.

I sure hope there is no rule here about what methods we use to get to our final Lego creations. As someone with a long history of prototyping I have found that many mediums assist in bringing final products to life. If a method like this works for me I think it might be helpful to others taking on large scale projects and had planned on documenting it here.

Thanks for bumping this topic I never read it and it is a cool and very fun read. :thumbup:

I think I will start working on a Tunnel, in LDD. :oh:

A great question, and I'd love for LEGO to bring one out, but unfortunately a tunnel in a box offers zero playability and in I'm sure in LEGO's eyes is something that can't be marketed. Just like we all know that if they made half a dozen unique carriages to add to the Emerald Night they would sell like hotcakes to all the AFOL's, but how does LEGO sell a single train carriage to a 10 year old boy? Alas This is why we will never see them, and I hope to be proved wrong someday...

What we do need are instructions from builders about how to make a tunnel, or other railside building. This is where I find railbricks invaluable for ideas and techniques.

Hi,

IMO Lego landscapes should be built with Lego. My experience is that it takes time, is expensive and hard to make look realistic. For displays on a show the hardest part is to move the whole layout. I am currently working on a layout that involves elevation from floor to table (a trial to make the Flåm railway in Norway), adding some extra excitement for possible derailing, inclination of the tracks and use of PF, but it will work out in the end. The layout demands an open back. I will try to post pictures as I go a long.

Happy building, :classic:

BÃ¥rd