Sign in to follow this  
Pellaeon

Soup's On! ... at the Commons

4361048762_33d5d0c995_o.jpg

Too poor to afford even the stew? Well, bring any dead animal you find to this old timer, and he'll grill it up for you -- for free, if you let him have a bite or two. Yum, dead parrot!

(it is an ex-parrot, it has ceased to be!) :pir-laugh:

4360307127_82af7c5c97_o.jpg

Here's the kitchen staff. The chef is stirring his suspicious stew of unsavory things, while his assistant carves some fresh meat -- the fate of any rat caught in the Commons.

4360307399_7bf78daa80_o.jpg

If you bring your own mug, cheap booze is also available. There are also some tables and chairs around, in case you'd like to "dine in".

4360307613_3fb0d0111e_o.jpg

Here's another shot of the queue for the stew.

4361048876_b6ba19cebd_o.jpg

A few close-ups. Clockwise from the upper-left: a clumsy redcoat spills his gruel, the chef works his magic, and another (dis)satisfied customer.

4360417879_ed0cb2dbf7_o.jpg

Top-down shot, as requested. This is a 16x16 entry (space #55 on the map).

4360307555_debccb9183_o.jpg

I hope you enjoyed it! Comments and criticisms welcome, of course.

Edited by Erdbeereis

Awesome MOC!

I loved how you used a few rather specialized parts that fit perfectly in the theme of your MOC, such as the big barrel, the cauldron, the he bowls and the colorful small parts for the soup.

The fish hanging from those hooks were a great idea as well.

Overall, I think you've managed to create a MOC that is rich in detail but without emphasizing buildings/landscape but instead the characters, their objects and their interactions.

Also, nice job on the photography! Not everyone can photograph a MOC this well! Great angles, good lighting/background. It is so disappointing when you see a good MOC that is poorly photographed so you can't see all the details. Definitely not the case here!

:thumbup::thumbup:

After a long drought of Community Build entries, this is certainly a great comeback for them! A wonderfully busy MOC you've got here! There's so many characters packed into such a small space, and it really captures the feel of a cheap food court. It reminds me of the cafeteria at my school, actually, although I'd bet that the grilled ex-parrot is better than school sheppards pie. Once again, great job! :thumbup:

A very nice job! I like all the details such as the cobblestones and the rat which is ready to be used in the soup. :pir-sick: Tasty. :pir-laugh:

I also like the tan barrel with the tap. Everything is interesting to look at.

A perfect entry into the Community Build! :thumbup:

Great work Pellaeon :thumbup:

Something different then all the buildings, but I think it fits perfectly in the entire layout.

In total a great scene with lots of detail on just a 16x16. :pir-sweet:

Very funny Very clever Very good !

Great work on your entry 'Pellaeon' - does everyone like roast rat or bird-on-stick or even hot-pot-surprise even the cook doesn't know what's in it ! :pir_laugh2:

Love all the detail you have included - the food prep or butcher area plus the buck rot-gut booze keg - man, that's a Homer Simpson size keg !

I'm a conformist! 'Pellaeon' I'm a conformist! !! :pir_laugh2:

Nice idea to make a market-type scene instead of a building. I like all the scenes and details you managed put on such a small footprint thanks to the clever diagonal placing of the stand.

Action packed little market. :thumbup:

Great use of different colors.

Verry cool little details in there.

It looks very alive. :pir-classic:

Verry well done indeed.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Good job, this is a very nice entry :thumbup:

It's a pity that the kid has already lost his hand :pir-laugh:

But ofcourse you can't start soon enough being a pirate :pir-classic:

The parrot is also a funny thing!

A perfect entry into the Community Build! :thumbup:

I couldn't agree more :thumbup: Its such a well designed scene. By the way, you have very good lighting in your pics :pir-classic:

As mentioned all ready, so much action in such a small MOC.

Very funny and well built with lots of details and good use of faces.

Wow, a "perfect entry"... can't get much more complementary than that! :pir-blush: Thanks everybody, I'm glad y'all enjoyed it.

I am very pleased with how the pictures came out... I don't have a fancy setup, so I just lucked into the perfect combination of natural light, cloud cover, and flash (in some shots). It's not a very reliable (or predictable) system, but it does work well sometimes.

I am very pleased with how the pictures came out... I don't have a fancy setup, so I just lucked into the perfect combination of natural light, cloud cover, and flash (in some shots). It's not a very reliable (or predictable) system, but it does work well sometimes.

I never knew that one needed cloud cloud cover when taking pics using "natural light", I'll be sure to remember that so thanks in advance :pir-classic:

I never knew that one needed cloud cloud cover when taking pics using "natural light", I'll be sure to remember that so thanks in advance :pir-classic:

Direct sunlight will probably give you unwanted shadows, so I've found a bit of shade can be helpful.

Direct sunlight will probably give you unwanted shadows, so I've found a bit of shade can be helpful.

I've had the same problem concerning the shadows :thumbdown: It can be very annoying.

EDIT: I need something to blog and this seems to be quite popular......blogged.png

Edited by Ratshot

EDIT: I need something to blog and this seems to be quite popular......blogged.png

Heh, well I'm glad you had nothing better to blog about. :pir-tongue:

Thank you very much, Ratshot! First time I've been blogged. :shark:

I this is probably my fav community build entry. I love how you made the stew colorful (coral?) and how you fitted so much into such a limited area!

Thanks! It is tricky to fit a lot of minifigs in a 16x16 without it looking cluttered, so I'm happy y'all think I pulled it off.