CBFasi

7 Wide guides and ideas

traintech1.jpg

Yep still rather new to 7 wide concept..

Where can I find instructions/guides to various designs done in 7 wide, looking for ideas to build my own engines and rolling stock, but with my 'limited' range of bricks.

(My imagination is still pretty dead and needs some help)

Tried search here but it does not let you search when you got less then 3 characters in one of the search parts and 7 is only 1 character !

Hope there is some help out there.

The only place I know of that has many instructions is Railbricks

The only really hard bit I found unique to 7 wide design was attaching wheels which was disscussed HERE

Other than that I found it really helpful to look on the Flickr train groups and Brickshelf, and try and work out how the models were built. By the way there isn't really much difference between 6,7 and 8 wide as far as design goes, so you can mostly convert a design from one to the others. Some of my favorites are Monteur puntcom ulimy Flickr Lego Trains Pool

I actually used the method shown here

Its working quite well, along with that railbricks bogie with gearing.

The more I look at the size my engine and the need to be to hold the battery box and motor, a Santa Fe variation may have to be the right way, aleady about the right length scaled up.

Will see how things work out and maybe get more pics

I've been experimenting with 7 wide and it looks a lot better than 6, but it's tricky to build. For now I'm sticking with 8 wide. :)

Over the next months I will start doing some MOC trains as well - and believe 7 wide is somehow the best compromise. For me lego is not about exact scale modelling, but rather capturing the strong charicatures and elements of the original. Ill probably use technic beams (old stud style) as this provides a lot of strength, but switch to pinless / studs when making details. It also makes elements less heavy (all those hidden holes).

Ill let you know how I get on - when I get time. New technic is also more natural for 7 wide....

I think I may have worked out a way to solve the problem of the height of the battery pack, have it rest in a hole so it is actually hanging below the main floor, bit like the old train plates with cutouts.... using technic to stop it going to far through the hole..

In the not too distant future I will post pictures of some of the solutions I have found in this delving into 7 wide trains..

The solution for the old battery looks rather good