Sign in to follow this  
Enilder

UCS questions

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hello all,

I am a Technic fan and I am slowly getting into Star Wars UCS line. I was told that each UCS has differences among them (color changes, etc.). Where can I find more info on each UCS?

X-wing, Y-wing, Vader's TIE advanced, etc...

Thanks!

I don't understand what you mean by colour changes, but UCS is essentially a big model with lots of detail on it regarding the original vehicle from the SW series. For reference you could go onto Brickshelf and search UCS or go onto Wookieepedia and look for vehicles to biuld.

I haven't noticed any colour differences, and the only model UCS that is still available, that has a significant amount of Technic in it would be the 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon.

For ISD, I was told that the color changed throughout rereleases. I was referring to that specifically.

So all UCS are not different?

S@H says I can order other UCS...It's just backordered :-p

I tried brickset but they don't have detailed info...

Edited by Enilder

I have heard that the later releases of 10030 Star Destroyer came in new grey; unfortunately I can't remember where, but I'll hunt around and let you know if I find it.

Mine was bought when it first came out - it's old grey.

Edit - check this out - some later 10030s were indeed new grey.

Edited by Rufus

yep my isd was bleuy, apart from that the x wing y wing and snowspeeder are all old grey and dark grey the newer ucs sets atst vader tie are bleuy.

yeah i was told that ISD's first edition was in grey then later, changed to bley.

i was wondering if other sets have these kinds of differences compared to "1st edition" to "later edition"

yep my isd was bleuy, apart from that the x wing y wing and snowspeeder are all old grey and dark grey the newer ucs sets atst vader tie are bleuy.

My Y-Wing is new bluey-grey.

My Y-Wing is new bluey-grey.

that's exactly what i am trying to figure out. i understand that it's just color difference but just for a reference...

it seems to be though, you can't tell the difference until you open the box and see the parts in the bag.

thanks for replies! :)

yeah i was told that ISD's first edition was in grey then later, changed to bley.

i was wondering if other sets have these kinds of differences compared to "1st edition" to "later edition"

I don't know for sure, but I believe the Imperial Star Destroyer is the only one that came in two color palettes like that. As I understand it, when the color shift occurred LEGO stated they intended not to switch over from one set of grays (and brown) to the other in any specific sets during their production run, but instead do it between different waves of releases (across all LEGO's lines, of course, not just Star Wars), and the ISD threw a monkey wrench into that plan - the set was so long-lived (it was around for a good five years!) that they would have had to have kept producing the old grey just for that one set, which wasn't feasible.

As far as I know, no other sets straddled the break between the two eras of grey like that (unless one counts ongoing things like the 628 X-Large Gray Baseplate), but I'm sure there are many others here who can offer much more authoritative words on the subject than I can.

I don't understand what you mean by colour changes, but UCS is essentially a big model with lots of detail on it regarding the original vehicle from the SW series. For reference you could go onto Brickshelf and search UCS or go onto Wookieepedia and look for vehicles to biuld.

Actually, the MF hasn't been available for about a week now...

This is quite an interesting topic to arise as i have always had an issue with my UCS Y-wing. The whole set is in bley EXCEPT for two 2X2 flat smooth panels that go on the top of each engine. I didn't notice it during the build, but it wasn't in till some time after when i had it on display did i notice the extreme color difference :sceptic: i find it so odd that this happened considering it was a Mint condition set ( bought from K-mart ) and there are many other 2X2 flat tiles in the set also :sceptic: has this ever happened to anyone else ? i rarely have problems with Lego sets but they do arise every now and then :tongue:

other then this strange occurrence my UCS snow speeder is in Grey and my UCS AT-ST is in Bley.

Anyone got pictures of the UCS star destroyer in Bley ? i would be very interested to see how it is compared to the original Grey.

Another quick question:

Do ALL UCS products come with certificates? Are they located inside or outside the product? (I am guessing inside but just checking)

I found out that the UCS MF model has different "editions" and just wondering about the differences. Thanks...

[edit] it seems like first edition MF is the only one with certificate. the box has this circle thing on left corner for first edition. can anyone confirm? thanks!

Edited by Enilder

The colour change ran between 2003 and 2004. As I understand things, the UCS Star Destroyer is the only UCS set that experienced a change (you can find versions in both greys and I believe that some actually have a mixture with predominantly old grey and a few bley parts in the mix :sick: ). Essentially, this is not something that had an impact on many sets. If the set was post 2004, it's new grey; if it's pre-2004 it's old grey. Given that most Star Wars sets employ new grey, if you were looking for a Star Destroyer I would try and land a late run model as opposed to one of the old grey ones.

A couple of answers :

Do all UCS sets come with a certificate ? No. To my knowledge, only the initial run of UCS Falcon sets did. I got my Falcon a year ago, and there's no certificate in the newer sets.

Apart from the colour difference in 10030 UCS ISD, are all UCS sets the same ? As far as I know, yes. I have all the Star Wars UCS sets now, and there's no mixing of colours that I'm aware of. If you buy a used UCS set on eBay, however, then who knows ?! I've bought hundreds of used sets from eBay and sellers often don't realise that they're substituting missing pieces with the wrong colour.... Very frustrating.

I never heard about a blue-grey (i.e. MdStone) 10030 ISD before ! So I learned something today ! Mine is definitely old gray, however, and no mixing of parts.

Dr. D.

quick question on UCS MF...

the box on the left bottom corner, where it says "exclusive first edition" or something with a circle around it, should have CoA, right? i wasnt sure about that one and also, is there another way to tell the dif if that's not the case while it's still sealed? thanks.

quick question on UCS MF...

the box on the left bottom corner, where it says "exclusive first edition" or something with a circle around it, should have CoA, right? i wasnt sure about that one and also, is there another way to tell the dif if that's not the case while it's still sealed? thanks.

If it doesn't have the limited first edition tag, then it won't come with a certificate, anyway I don't think you can buy the first edition sets anymore, there were only 10000 made, unless you pay insane prices on Bricklink.

If it doesn't have the limited first edition tag, then it won't come with a certificate, anyway I don't think you can buy the first edition sets anymore, there were only 10000 made, unless you pay insane prices on Bricklink.

i was also told that some UCS MF with that first edition tag doesn't have COA. just wanted to double check

Actually more than 10,000 appear to have been released. Mine is # 12,189. The text of the certificate is as follows....

"CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY

This certifies the authenticity of this Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon as being an Exclusive First Edition model. The undersigned Jens Kronvold Frederiksen, Product Designer and Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, Owner - LEGO A/S attest to this fact."

It might be interesting to know if other members have a higher number and also just how many 1st releases are out there?!? :sceptic: