Sign in to follow this  
Fires-storm

A WIP American Schooner of the line*odd, I know* the U.S.S Charger

Hey all, a bit of a verbal update for you, I finished the solid front mod for the bow, and extended the front slightly, pretty pleased with how it looks for now, soon the final pics should be up once I finish the marconi sails today and start rigging tomorrow.

marconi sails :pir-grin:

Exactly what I was thinking...

What is this bow mod of which you speak?

:pir_yoda:

What is this bow mod of which you speak?

The very one you recommended, of going with the slanted solid wall front for the bow, didn't lower it or raise the main deck but it still looks pretty decent I think, and yeah, tried the cut out of a marconi sail in paper for the top mast on the back and instantly fell in love with the look :pir_laugh2:

Hello all, a pretty much final update for you today, I got to work on the rigging today, and got all the sails on, so she is pretty much done. All thats left is the lower deck cannon, upper deck carronade, flags, and maybe some minor rigging on the sides to help hold her together mast wise, as every time I move her she falls apart at the masts, and if that happened now i would most likely scream for about an hour :pir-tongue: so without further ado.....the updates:

the place I always start, the bow, sorry, one pic is of the rigging untrimmed :pir-hmpf_bad:

JL1WDD71GU.jpg

UA8U3ITU6R.jpg

0OOZJ1URFX.jpg

and ones of the port and starboard sides:

JDBL2AU433.jpg

6NVLE7NHCD.jpg

and a final one of a sort of stern shot...I kinda got artistic....:

0VGGI905LL.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the new pics of my new pride and joy of the American fleet! She's all trimmed up now and pretty much ready to be put to sea in one more update!

Amazing job Fires-storm, it looks fabolous :pir-cry_happy: The U.S getted a good ship of they´re fleet :pir-blush:

Captain Becker

Amazing job Fires-storm, it looks fabolous :pir-cry_happy: The U.S getted a good ship of they´re fleet :pir-blush:

Captain Becker

thank you so much, I'm glad you like it :pir_laugh2: rigging is ALOT harder then it seems on legos though :pir-tongue:

Nice job!! Thats a good size ship. I'll bet she delivers a hell of a broadside!! Not to keen on the bowspirit though. Keep bricking!!

:jollyroger:

Thanks mate, glad you liked it, and yeah, the bow coulda been a bit better, but honestly I'm pretty dang happy with how it turned out, entirely techniques I've never done in my life :pir_laugh2: As to the broadside, yeah, she's a 24 gun schooner right now, but once I get the carronade on deck she'll probably be around 40-48, not including chasers, so she is my most powerful ship as of yet :pir-grin:

Edited by Fires-storm

I think you ought to make the walls on the bow a brick, maybe 2/3rds of a brick, shorter. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and that's usually the figurehead or the sterncastle's job :pir-tongue:

Everything else looks F A N T A S T I C !

Always the spathing bow! Just ignore it! :pir-tongue: Honestly though, thats about as low as I can make it without it looking like crap......I'll try it possibly but its probably gonna stay. And honestly I'm kind of thinking of skipping the figure head, with the bow design I can't really mount it anyway.

as to the green....I'm going to replace it eventually, but right now, eh :grin:

Edited by Fires-storm

Always the spathing bow! Just ignore it! :pir-tongue: Honestly though, thats about as low as I can make it without it looking like crap......I'll try it possibly but its probably gonna stay. And honestly I'm kind of thinking of skipping the figure head, with the bow design I can't really mount it anyway.

Looks like you'll be using spindles!

That way you could add a figurehead, though I'd agree it looks better without

I asked my dad whether I should change the bow and he just looked at me for a very long period of time, so I think thats a no :pir-tongue: Also, I kinda like it with no figure head, gives it a unique warlike and functional yet still beautiful look :pir_laugh2:

I asked my dad whether I should change the bow and he just looked at me for a very long period of time, so I think thats a no :pir-tongue: Also, I kinda like it with no figure head, gives it a unique warlike and functional yet still beautiful look :pir_laugh2:

My dad asked if I had built enough ships yet :pir-tongue:

When someone looks at you for a long period of time and doesn't say anything, it usually means 'I don't know' If you are going to keep the wallrailingthingamabobers you ought to get rid of any space underneath it, and make it level throughout.

Agreed, no figurehead...

Well, the real bite in the butt of the issue is that I could only get rid of 1/3rd of a brick because the entire front of the bow relies on at least 2 of the 1/3rd bricks to get the angle right. Heck I'm not even sure I COULD remove the one stud without goofing it up :pir-sceptic: but I'll possibly keep toying with it, if anything else looks better I'll try that in the finals, but this may well be the way the rails stay for a while....at least till I'm a better builder, though I'm still pretty pleased with how they came out.

Also, my dad loves the amount of time I spend on my ships, as he sued to be a sailor/drill sergeant in the coast guard, and is BIG into tall ships. So generally a long look from him can be fairly easy to translated as the following: "You just spent an hour on that detail, I think it looks fine, so why the heck are you messing with it?" :pir-tongue:

Fire Storm :jollyroger:

Edited by Fires-storm

Well, the real bite in the butt of the issue is that I could only get rid of 1/3rd of a brick because the entire front of the bow relies on at least 2 of the 1/3rd bricks to get the angle right. Heck I'm not even sure I COULD remove the one stud without goofing it up :pir-sceptic: but I'll possibly keep toying with it, if anything else looks better I'll try that in the finals, but this may well be the way the rails stay for a while....at least till I'm a better builder, though I'm still pretty pleased with how they came out.

I was thinking of a different bow design, that i'm sure you'd agree looks better, and you can include a figurehead (like chewbacca) here's a model I whipped together:

bowidea1.gif

The design is simple, though i'm not sure its exactly the same shape as yours, you get the idea. The secret is a bunch of 1x2 plates hiding under the 1x16, that allows for the angle:

bowidea2.gif

Hope that helps!

Edited by the_green_avenger

It does look really nice, I may have to try...but I think it'll be a cold day in heck when I have that many 1x2's free of the same color:P

It does look really nice, I may have to try...but I think it'll be a cold day in heck when I have that many 1x2's free of the same color:P

funny story. I just got the 98 I bought off PAB, so I have a lot :pir_laugh2:

P.S. It's only 10, you should at least have that many...

Wow, funnier story, I jsut found out every single 1x2 I own appears to be being used in something else......I think I hear the Charger crying :pir-tongue: honestly the bow doesn't look THAT bad now, but I will possibly change it eventually.

hope its looking good, it should be done in about two weeks, minus the cannon....hopefully :pir_laugh2:

lets see... its march 22, and you posted that on february 13... that's over five weeks :pir-sceptic: Ah well... I'm not complaining, besides, your pretty much done :pir-grin:

On the headrails, you could do them in pure black, or mainly black and a little white, something like that. You'd have enough pieces, and it'd look slightly better too...

Ok, slight update this time of the bow, I got a little......piratey.....with my other mocs and did the little wall technique, it isn't QUITE complete in that I have to do one more little spot and then another couple flat bricks but hey, it looks pretty fair. Also have a figure head on her now, little black to contrast the white.

BI3VIAKLMF.jpg

5NTQR8CKKL.jpg

RY5UCTUP2N.jpg

hope you enjoy.

Edited by Fires-storm

Ok, slight update this time of the bow, I got a little......piratey.....with my other mocs and did the little wall technique, it isn't QUITE complete in that I have to do one more little spot and then another couple flat bricks but hey, it looks pretty fair. Also have a figure head on her now, little black to contrast the white.

Yeah, it looks better now, though I think you should put some black into the walls and possibly make them 1/3rd of a brick shorter. The figurehead you used wasn't exactly the one I had in mind, though it looks fine at the moment. The figurehead tends to reflect the name of the ship, or vice-versa, so I was thinking you'd do a bull or something.

P.S. in the first pic you can see the leg of the AT-AT, kinda funny. It also looks like those clones are about to get run over :pir-laugh:

Edited by the_green_avenger

Yeah, it looks better now, though I think you should put some black into the walls and possibly make them 1/3rd of a brick shorter. The figurehead you used wasn't exactly the one I had in mind, though it looks fine at the moment. The figurehead tends to reflect the name of the ship, or vice-versa, so I was thinking you'd do a bull or something.

P.S. in the first pic you can see the leg of the AT-AT, kinda funny. It also looks like those clones are about to get run over :pir-laugh:

I don't think I will put black in, because I dunno why, but the walls there being all white somehow just click with me......Also the figurehead was inspired by when I first made the name of the ship, because I got an image of a knight charging across the field of battle :pir-tongue: And yeah, whats really fun is the ship is about 2 or 3 inches taller then the AT-AT, and honestly its happened so much I don't really think those troops would notice getting run over one more time :pir-tongue:

I don't think I will put black in, because I dunno why, but the walls there being all white somehow just click with me......Also the figurehead was inspired by when I first made the name of the ship, because I got an image of a knight charging across the field of battle

Fine with me if you want to keep it pure white, but you should at least lower it.

And the figurehead, you may want to change, because it doesn't look too knightish

As I have said before, its not done yet. the figure head is pretty much a proxy, and I'll lower the rig in the back, but if I lower ti in the front there will be a gap, so it has to stay a touch high at the front of the bow :pir-classic: thanks so much for all your advice!

Good updage mate, but i thisnk at Figurhead isnt nessesery at that ship, its looks alredy fine at me :pir-blush: But if ya like then you can add it, but at me the ship just need weapons, figs and ridding yet. Good job mate, keep it up

Captain Becker