Sign in to follow this  
remus753

MOC: Federalist Modular

I only have one set made within the last two decades, so architectural detail like my beloved Christmas present (the Green Grocer) wasn't possible. I took the advice of TedBeard and just dove in. I had already sorted out all the red (the most I had of any one color), and decided to build from that. My wife suggested a Federalist style house since they are rather simple, and sometimes the townhouses come in bright colors (it might have a yellow friend later...). I have included several pictures to show my work. Obviously any comments or suggestions would be welcome, but as a rookie with a limited supply of LEGOs, it is what it is to some degree. I would have liked an interior, but my building doesn't come apart. I also didn't have enough red to finish the back, thought a photo might make you guys laugh a little.

dscf0100.jpg

dscf0102.jpg

dscf0101.jpg

dscf0105.jpg

dscf0104.jpg

For a facade it looks pretty nice. Though of course not as detailed as the models like GG, it has a very classic feel which adds some charm. Good luck finishing it out with a real back and interior, if you intend to.

Obviously any comments or suggestions would be welcome, but as a rookie with a limited supply of LEGOs, it is what it is to some degree. I would have liked an interior, but my building doesn't come apart. I also didn't have enough red to finish the back, thought a photo might make you guys laugh a little.

To be honest, unless you intend to play with it (like City Corner etc.) there's really no point in doing much of an interior - the only thing most people will see from the outside is the curtains, or maybe the light.

And you talking about 'I didn't have enough to finish the back' - if you can't see the back or sides, there's no point trying to waste bricks on it!

I must say nice frontage - well done ! :thumbup:

You could take the classic view of an open back house and fit it out if play was in mind, but if playing isn't the order of the day then too much interior may be also a waste of bricks, plates, tiles and of course time !

Great work 'remus753' and I'm a conformist! ! :classic:

Very simple, but I like it, it makes you appreciate the simple wall structure and the way that most buildings in real life look like.

This is a good looking building. I suggest adding some more color in the front to break up the red. Maybe even some patterns would be nice. And adding windows with grids will look better IMO. Tiling the pavement will also improve appearances but I'm just nitpicking. Good work!

That is really nice. I especially like the the window moldings.

And you have some of the rare Cyprus trees! I never got any as a kid and cannot imagine paying the BL price now.

I only have one set made within the last two decades, so architectural detail like my beloved Christmas present (the Green Grocer) wasn't possible. I took the advice of TedBeard and just dove in. I had already sorted out all the red (the most I had of any one color), and decided to build from that. My wife suggested a Federalist style house since they are rather simple, and sometimes the townhouses come in bright colors (it might have a yellow friend later...). I have included several pictures to show my work. Obviously any comments or suggestions would be welcome, but as a rookie with a limited supply of LEGOs, it is what it is to some degree. I would have liked an interior, but my building doesn't come apart. I also didn't have enough red to finish the back, thought a photo might make you guys laugh a little.

Great work mate , awesome , its a very good modular and I love the "classic" take you have taken due to brick choice.

It doesnt matter and imo it fits the ClassicTown.net vibe perfectly , its modern techniques with classic bricks, I really love it.

As others have said it doesnt matter a jot about the rear and sides and looks well next to the Green Grocers.

Fantastic

PS has your chefs face been "loved off" I have a bag of heads from my youth that I have just played the Face off? :wink:

Thank you for all the kind words, it is so nice to be around people who are passionate and friendly. Also, though I am all grown up, it was nice to put myself and my meager creation out there and be given kind words. What I have done pales in comparison to what I have seen on here, you guys are truly masters and artists.

To answer questions and reply to comments:

-I don't imagine I will be someone who does much playing with my LEGO creations, but I have seen the interiors on many of the MOCs in here, and they have blown me away. I marvel at your creativity and resourcefulness. In the future I can see spending time on the interiors, but that may take buying of other items, something I intend on doing much further down the line.

-I appreciate the tips for adding tiling (would love to in the future), or breaking up the exterior. I would eventually like to embed the architectural detail around the windows (and also get new ones), add shutters (essential for a Federalist style home), and work on making the roof complete. I actually made attempts to do both of those things, but I only had enough shutters for two windows, and enough window panes for 3... I decided consistency was important to me at this point.

-I thought you were joking about the Cypress trees, but the cheapest one I found on Bricklink was $12, and it was slightly chewed. Maybe I should sell my trees to finance the rest of the house (just kidding).

-My baker is intentionally faceless, it is how I pay homage to my older brother who got me into LEGO. He hates the faces and would always turn their heads around to the back of the helmets (he loved the space sets). Still to this day they drive him crazy, that little smiling face.

Glad you guys enjoyed, next week I hope to get started on my yellow open concept (cause I don't have much in the way of windows left) townhouse for the other side. Might require dismantling my beloved castle, but that is what LEGO is for.

NIce building. I like the classic feel to it. I also run into the problem of not having enough bricks to finish a building :tongue: