benny

MOC: Hong Kong Cable Repairing Locomotive

traintech1.jpg

It is a cable repairing locomotive used in Hong Kong. The logo is KCR mean Kowloon Canton (China) Railway. It has one control room. At the back part of it, there is the machinery hand to pick up the equipments. The raising system with lift can assit the workers to checkthe cable (High voltage electric cable). There is also the equipments for repairing the cable or railway.

Original locomotive:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Superb/a...pic_image12.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Superb/a...pic_image11.jpg

Edited by benny

Looks great! But it seems strange that there is a pantograph atop the loco as it is a cable repair truck. So wouldn't that mean that when it goes to repair a dead wire it wouldn't be able to do so because the pantograph can't extract power from the cable? Never mind, I'm confusing myself.

Looks tops, and your moving platform design is cool too. :thumbup:

Fantastic 'Benny' you have done it again ! :laugh:

Great maintance train you have here, that lift platform - AWESOME ! :grin:

Can you post a picture of a real one to compere please, I wonder too about the pantograph !

Anyway a fantastic job, heaps of playability..........I'm a conformist! 'Benny' I'm a conformist! ! :grin:

Looks great! But it seems strange that there is a pantograph atop the loco as it is a cable repair truck. So wouldn't that mean that when it goes to repair a dead wire it wouldn't be able to do so because the pantograph can't extract power from the cable? Never mind, I'm confusing myself.

Thanks for your reply! I have the same idea.

I don't have enough information about this locomotive. Actually, it ismainly for daily checking of cable and railway. I think if it is really out of power from cable, it may have battery inside or gasoline using for standby.

Great MOC, I like the details and pictures taken about the part of the loco. Perhaps you need to put some replacement cables on the deck.:)

In Hungary there are many repairing locos with pantograph. Because there are not repairing locos in every stations that's why they use pantographs below "alive" cables and use diesel under "dead" lines. I think perhaps pantograph's other function is testing the repaired wire. It doesn't matter why, but these locos have pantograph. :) Like this:

egyeb035.jpg

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Great MOC, I like the details and pictures taken about the part of the loco. Perhaps you need to put some replacement cables on the deck.:)

In Hungary there are many repairing locos with pantograph. Because there are not repairing locos in every stations that's why they use pantographs below "alive" cables and use diesel under "dead" lines. I think perhaps pantograph's other function is testing the repaired wire. It doesn't matter why, but these locos have pantograph. :) Like this:

egyeb035.jpg

Thanks for your information.

I think you are right. For the Hong Kong locos one, it should be made in Europe as no locos. factory is in Hong Kong. Most of other locomotives in Hong kong also come from Europe e.g. Germany.

Ignoring the possible conflict of power delivery, I think this looks alot like the real thing, adn it's a fun functional piece. I particularily like the lift portion.

Ignoring the possible conflict of power delivery, I think this looks alot like the real thing, adn it's a fun functional piece. I particularily like the lift portion.

Thanks a lot! For the lift,i improved it for 3 times, it is the best one.

egyeb035.jpg

I think it's more to test and analyse the overhead wires for behavior while pulled by a diesel or electric engine. I don't think this is a self propelled engine, and if so, only in limited qualities (low top speed).

This is pretty nice Benny. I've never seen a cable repair loco before, so this creation is certainly unique. Looks like it has some interesting features and details.

I hope you don't mind, but I've spruced up your photo a bit for the front-page. :thumbup:

gallery_174_44_87972.jpg

Nice MOC, it looks like the real locomotive. Do you test on LDD before to make a real MOC or not ?

:classic:

A really cool loco Benny!

I love all the yellow on the loco, it makes it look very cute!

And the features are really impressive! :oh::thumbup:

The resemblance to the real thing is spot on!

Nice job making this great engine.

CommanderFox

To TheBrickster: Thanks for your comment and post it on the front page, i am very happy to see it with the hong kong scene background. I will try my best to make more interesting train and loco.

To other lego fans: As i change to night duty work since Feb 2010, i don't have time to try the loco on 9V system for checking. As the bottom of the loco is not complex, i think it can move efficiently. I am happy to see many lego fans like this design and color.

Really nice MOC. One day i want to build like you guys here, in EB.

Regards

I am looking forward to see your MOC train. I will make more and more train sets later!

Ni hao!

This is a fantastic replica of the real train. Can't stress how much of a good job you did. Does the Hong Kong Lego Users Group have a group train layout at conventions?

And this question is off topic but...Are there any Lego Users Groups in mainland China? I ask because I may be living over there in the near future.

Again, great job.

Ni hao!

This is a fantastic replica of the real train. Can't stress how much of a good job you did. Does the Hong Kong Lego Users Group have a group train layout at conventions?

And this question is off topic but...Are there any Lego Users Groups in mainland China? I ask because I may be living over there in the near future.

Again, great job.

For the hong Kong, it has two lego user group, the first one is Minifigure.forum, it has over 5000 members. The another is Hong Kong Lego User Group, it is smaller group but it has more professional lego users. For the train MOC or layout, it is not the main topic in Hong Kong as the train price is very expensive in Hong Kong.

In China, most of lego users are individual but their MC are very professional.