Sign in to follow this  
vmln8r

MOC: Junkers Ju 88

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi everyone,

I’d like to share my latest creation: the Junkers Ju 88. It’s a Luftwaffe airplane that had many roles. According to wikipedia it was used as a: Dive bomber/Tactical bomber/Night fighter/Torpedo bomber/Heavy fighter - phew!

The idea for making this plane in Lego came to me after recently re-reading Roald Dahl’s autobiography Going Solo. There’s a great chapter where he encounters six Ju 88s in his Hurricane. I sure wouldn’t want to encounter one (especially not with a Hurricane): three pairs of eyes per plane plus front and rear gunners. For those who’ve read the book, I’ll start with a modified picture in the style of photographs in the book:

ju88-10ht.jpg

I decided it’d be nice to try and build it using only parts from the IJ set 7198 Fighter Plane attack. It was fun to try and make something with a limited palette. This sort of dictated a building a “Lego Ju-88” rather than a “Ju 88 made using Lego.” Does this make any sense? The main flaw it that it seats only two people: A pilot and a front gunner – perhaps I’ll try to rebuild this again in the future with Indy’s dad controlling the rear machineguns :tongue:

Unmodified version of the first pic, showing my favourite view, front on, attack mode:

ju88-10.jpg

Further images:

ju88-13.jpg

ju88-15.jpg

There are plenty more images in higher resolution in my brickshelf folder where I may upload an Ldraw model if anyone is interested and I’m able to get my head around using Ldraw!

Thanks for looking, one more ‘chopped image, over and out!

magic.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Just a good ol' fashion fighter. Easily matches the official ones. I like that it has some of both colors.

At first I thought you threw the plane, until I seen the original picture. :blush: Over all a nice plane. :thumbup:

:tongue: I'd never do that, I've become quite fond of it. Actually a sloping section of the garden had been marked off with string so I placed the plane on a convenient corner. Thanks for the comments both samuraiturtle and er, CallMePie. Your sig is funny!

Very nicely done 'VMLN8R' very nice indeed ! :thumbup:

You have followed the lines of a Ju88 just about spot on !

Love the in fight picture - so cool ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! 'VMLN8R' I'm a conformist! ! :classic:

Thanks for the nice comments guys :classic:

Andre, I had heard of Stukas but never seen a picture of one. After googling I think it will be do-able, using pieces from 7198. I think it'd be cool to see how many planes can be made from the one set but first I'd like to archive this one by making a 3D model. As soon as I figure that out I'll give it a try, looks like a nice challenge!

Hello!

This is already pretty nice. :classic: However the front looks really flat. I could imagine that the following piece would give it a much more realistic look. :classic:

3960pb13.GIF

Image taken from BrickLink.

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Hello!

This is already pretty nice. :classic: However the front looks really flat. I could imagine that the following piece would give it a much more realistic look. :classic:

3960pb13.GIF

Image taken from BrickLink.

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thanks Christopher :classic: Given enough time and money I would certainly like to build a bigger and more realistic version with landing gear, flaps, etc.

Hello, definitely a beautiful model of this plane, you captured pretty much every detail on it! I love how this thing turned out, it looks truly amazing, keep bricking :thumbup:

Finally got around to uploading an LDD model I made in August. Of course you'll only need bricks from the Indiana Jones set 7198.

5376955026_c7decdaeee.jpg

Download here.