Sign in to follow this  
Matt Dawson

MOC: Brakevan

traintech1.jpg

I did construct a tank wagon...of sorts...but I wasn't happy (it looked to blocky and would require special facilities for loading/unloading). I then set out to build a brakevan, which in reality never really needed a reason not to be anywhere.

The most obvious look-a-like would be the Great Western Railway's Toad type, which was used in Britian from the 20s to the 80s, the last 20 years in departmental/engineers use):

GWR%20Toad%20AA3%20Photo.jpg

Here's my version:

4325110442_421718ffe4.jpg

An interior shot from the end, showing the brake wheel and the wall with 'imitation door' (i.e. 'window' to doorknob to give illusion of a door):

4325106550_8cc7572946.jpg

Overhead shot of the interior, shoring the desk & chair, and repositioned door:

4324369315_edea01ac73.jpg

A shot of the other end, showing the windows to allow light into the enclosed part of the brake van; also notice the lamp bracket over the left bufferbeam:

4324373111_c3d828a3df.jpg

Unlike some MOCs, I've built mine with a view to playability...

4324369315_edea01ac73.jpg

The brick colour variance is partially intended to make the brake van look old. The underframe is two 2x6 black plates and a 2x8 black plate for the main 'rib' of the underframe (for wheels and buffers), with 1x8 plates 'hung' from the 'floor' with 2x1 bricks as the footbaord supports (the footboards are 1x12 black plates).

Edited by Matt Dawson

Looks like it's from the late 70's/early 80's - quite retro but still nice ! :thumbup:

Great work 'Matt Dawson' and I'm a conformist! ! :classic:

I did construct a tank wagon...of sorts...but I wasn't happy (it looked to blocky and would require special facilities for loading/unloading). I then set out to build a brakevan, which in reality never really needed a reason not to be anywhere.

The most obvious look-a-like would be the Great Western Railway's Toad type, which was used in Britian from the 20s to the 80s, the last 20 years in departmental/engineers use):

GWR%20Toad%20AA3%20Photo.jpg

Here's my version:

The brick colour variance is partially intended to make the brake van look old. More photos to be uploaded shortly.

A Toad you say?

Built on a standard 6x24 wagon base.

The wheels turn underneath, but are sprung to the centre and have the two sets linked, so it can lead wagons when being pushed down a siding.

I was running out of brown bricks at the time, hence lots of 2s! I'd like to give it more of a "plank construction" appearance if I rebuild it sometime.

Mark

Heres a small brake van that is used on the descent of the 1 in 15 climb on the Rimutaka Incline NZ.

Its the red van left of photo. 12 stud x 6 stud base.

2667540354_5020eeb456.jpg

2846736221_7a2d3380bf_o.jpg

Edited by AllanSmith

Photos updated with the newer revisions:

> brake pipes on both ends

> Lamp Iron on the 'van' (i.e. opposite verandah) end

> Door modified to outside colouring.

SNIPPED

A Toad you say?

Built on a standard 6x24 wagon base.

Mark

Well, not exactly a 'toad' - consider mine a toad imitation squashed onto a wagon underframe...

That's awesome, now that makes me want to build trains

Apart from wheels & buffer/couplings, there aren't any other special componants for most wagons.

Edited by Matt Dawson