1. 1. Vote your opinion!

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

title.jpg

Big Cam did a stellar review of the 2007 Sith Interceptor, and there was some discussion about the quality of the old version versus the new. Of course, a 1999 Star Wars set isn't going to be as sleek as the current generation, but does it have a value unto itself?

Set#: 7151

Name: Sith Infiltrator

Theme: Star Wars

Year: 1999

Pieces: 244

Minifigs: Darth Maul

MSP: U.S.$30

Peeron

Brickset

Bricklink

The booklet

Same as the box.

7151_-_19.jpg

A random page. Again, we see that Lego were able to make clearer instructions at the turn of the century. There is no doubt which is black, which is dark grey, which is light grey. Ah, those were the days.

7151_-_20.jpg

A full-on narrative of alternate builds goes on here. The story is nothing, but I find the creativity of the alternate builds enlightening.

7151_-_21.jpg

7151_-_22.jpg

Total alternate builds shown: three.

7151_-_23.jpg

Damn jawas. Scum of Tatooine.

7151_-_24.jpg

Total alternate builds shown: five.

7151_-_25.jpg

Total alternate builds shown: seven. Absolute insanity. What happened there? Are costs really cut by not doing these fun things? Something that really should be brought back.

7151_-_26.jpg

The Pieces

A small melange of subdued tones. Only a few specialized pieces, like those in the tie fighter wing joints.

7151_-_01.jpg

Darth Maul is great. How do you keep a cape in this condition for over a decade? Don't play with it, and keep it in a box for most of that time. It's been about seven years since he saw the light of day.

7151_-_14.jpg

The print is slightly off, but I think this is a nice looking mini-fig. There is an off-set white tone here, but it shows up in close-up then just looking at the figure. In my opinion, this was the most interesting mini-fig released in the original line.

7151_-_15.jpg

The Build

The set is built in four parts, and comes together like a tie fighter with a big nose. It's an incredibly simple build, with pretty much no chance for error.

7151_-_02.jpg

Snap those together and...

The Finished Product

This actually looks quite nice, if quaint. Compared to the MOCs on Eurobricks, it is too simple.

7151_-_03.jpg

Here is the real model. As we can see, it's sleeker than this Lego model.

infiltrator.jpg

I've seen Phantom Menace too many times, but I really don't remember the ship that well. It appears fairly briefly. So, when I got this I was quite happy with it, and I was happy building it again now. Juxtaposing it to the 'real' thing, it is quite clunky. The wings are the weakest part, as the hard angles don't capture the curves of the actual ship.

7151_-_05.jpg

Another weakness is the stand. And as a matter of fact, those same round stands don't work on the mid-size Millennium Falcon last year.

7151_-_07.jpg

The back is nice though. A nice printed hatch. Flip that blue latch, and what happens?

7151_-_08.jpg

A certain Mr. Maul is revealed.

7151_-_09.jpg

You can just grab him by the speeder and pull him out.

7151_-_10.jpg

In a 100% Lego design motif, there's a hood that opens to store the spy droids, and that double chrome light saber if you're so inclined.

7151_-_16.jpg

And those spies in all their glory.

7151_-_17.jpg

His speeder is alright. The actual one has a curve to it, which this doesn't have, but as a simple Lego creation, it's elegantly simple. And that beige base piece is one of a kind for me.

7151_-_27.jpg

Yes, simple is the word.

7151_-_28.jpg

The Final Verdict

This is a decent set. Not amazing, but very respectable.

7151_-_18.jpg

Design: 6/10 This is obviously a design from the years before slopes. I think they did a good job with the pieces they had, but then other design choices, like the landing gear and hood do nothing for this ship.

Build: 7/10 Nothing new. At the time, I loved it, because at that time, I hadn't played with Lego in over a decade, so it was great. And I enjoyed making this again too. But if I bought it now, I wouldn't be knocked out by it. Respectable and traditional.

Playability: 9/10 Only one mini-figure, sure, but he has a speeder, which enters the ship, plus the alternate builds. And it's sturdy, good for the kids.

Minifigures: 9/10 Only one. But one of the rarest and most desirable. Maul was the coolest thing about the whole damn prequel trilogy. I can remember seeing his photo in that big Vanity Fair shoot months before The Phantom Menace was released. That was a high point, like the week before Christmas... A tease of something awesome, with belief that it would live up to the build up... And he died in the first movie :hmpf:

Price: 6/10 It is what it is.

Overall: 7/10 For me personally, I really dig this set. But it's because it was the set that rescued me from my first dark age. So I work my hardest here to rate this fairly. The ship isn't slick, and doesn't capture the original well. For what it is, it's a nice fun thing, but that's not what we expect from a Lego Star Wars ship, is it.

This is not a must-have, or a hidden gem, just a work-horse of a set from the first run of Star Wars Lego. Where it stands out is the Darth Maul mini-figure, which to this day is a rare figure. But, if you were to pick this figure up, you're better served to pick up the 2007 version of it.

maul.jpg

Edited by KimT
indexed

Thanks, it´s a great review for an old set.

the first year of Lego Star Wars was an amazing and revealing time...

10 years ago, I thought that it was an ugly spaceship and too expensive, so I bought the jedi duel whit Maul and Qui-Gon. I wanted to buy the classic trilogy sets first...

About the minifigure, the printing of the head of the new Darth Maul is much better than the old one (in my humble opinion).

Again, thanks for the review.

Good review, I never got this set because I didn't see it in any shops, plus it didn't really stand out to me at the time.

I kinda like the blockiness of this ship. I have the latest one and really like it but I like this one also because even though it doesnt really look like the real thing its really well built for an old set. I love my darth maul minifig he is one of my favourites. The printing on his face is one of the best around because the detailing is so superb.

This is a great review!

Well, I'd seen a sneak preview of this review in the Academy, but now I can comment.

This is a super review - you've made an average set look good! I love the opening shot of Maulie with the ship in the background. I didn't realise there was an opening storage compartment.

Personally I think the cartoons and multiple alternatives are overkill, but I wonder if it was done because at the time Lego weren't sure how well the SW line would do; nowadays the sets sell themselves so they're not necessary.

Personally I think the cartoons and multiple alternatives are overkill, but I wonder if it was done because at the time Lego weren't sure how well the SW line would do; nowadays the sets sell themselves so they're not necessary.

I don't care for the cartoons either. I think even as a kid I wouldn't have been too impressed. But the alternate builds would inspire kids to play, I think.

Thanks for the kind words :sweet:

I think the cartoons are funny, and that's alot of alternate builds.

I think those are a fun aspect that's missing from new sets.

Great review BTW def.

Hello!

This is actually one of the few sets I own, and the nice reviw reminds me how great it is! I even prefer it ove the newer model. This one here is LEGO® like in older days. Shape built by many smaller pieces, enough studs to still define it as LEGO®, and - as already mentioned by Big Cam - many actually good alternative builds. Great model! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Another great review. I really like this set. It is great, especially because it is old. :thumbup:

Even though this may not be "sleek" or "fandangled" as the newer sets, it still carries a nostalgic value to all of us who bought legos back then. It's scary to think that this set is more then a decade old now.

I love all these older sets because they just had something about them that's a little more fun then the lego sets today. Maybe the fact that the older sets are more basic, you feel that your imagination can go all over the place with them. I shocked myself when I came to the conclusion that overall I really liked this version better then it's 2007 counterpart.

Lego bring back the alternitive builds!

Good review as always def! :thumbup:

Even though this may not be "sleek" or "fandangled" as the newer sets, it still carries a nostalgic value to all of us who bought legos back then. It's scary to think that this set is more then a decade old now.

I love all these older sets because they just had something about them that's a little more fun then the lego sets today. Maybe the fact that the older sets are more basic, you feel that your imagination can go all over the place with them. I shocked myself when I came to the conclusion that overall I really liked this version better then it's 2007 counterpart.

Lego bring back the alternitive builds!

Good review as always def! :thumbup:

I understand what you're saying, sometimes the older sets seem more fun, adn I think it's becasue they are so blocky and look more like LEGO sets, it's only been in the last couple years that they started getting really specialized in their parts, and curving stuff.

I like the discussion this review has brought up.

the model from this set was very lacking, and for a person who wanted maul fig and the speeder could get it from the lightsaber duel set easily. the parts are really nothing special.

Brilliant review!

In my eyes this Tie Interceptor was much better that the 2007 version.

Brilliant review!

In my eyes this Tie Interceptor was much better that the 2007 version.

This is the Sith Infiltrator :sceptic:

Great review. I still prefer the new one but I love the comics and alternate builds. I think they stopped making them sometime after the Epi III sets. :sad:

Great review, and pictures, and a nice blast from the past, too.

This set helped bring me back into LEGO and had a nice old school feel about it. Reminded me of all the great times I had building & playing with the classic space sets when I was much younger.

Sadly I sold my set during my great purge sometime around 2003 (needed a new car). Anyway, thanks for this wonderful review!