• 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

INDEXED

6624 Delivery Van

RedVan.jpg

Hi everyone!

This is my first LEGO set review. I acquired this set from a huge lot of sets, catalogs and instructions from the 1980's and 1990's. Along with it were a lot of town sets, some space sets and some castle sets (even a 95% complete 6080 King's Castle). This set caught my attention because of the instructions. I was sorting out the lot's pieces and I saw the instructions. I noticed that all of its pieces were present and in very good condition. So, a review was in order, seeing that no one else has done it yet. Now, I bring to you the 6624 Delivery Van.

Name: Delivery Van

Theme: LEGO System / Town

Year: 1983

Pieces: 41 (Brickset)

Minifigs: 1

Price: N/A (if anyone's aware of the price, please let me know)

Resources: Brickset Peeron

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a box.

The Red Van

Instructionalternate.jpg

It's the cute red van! Along with Mr. Delivery. It also features 3 alternate builds. I miss those alternate builds. Some may not be really different, but it still gives children ideas about what they can make.

The Minifig

Minifig.jpg

He's not very special. A plain black hat, the classic smiley :classic: (I love those heads), a plain blue torso and black legs.

The Instruction Manual

InstructionFront.jpg

It's a single sheet instruction manual. In the front, we have the Red Van and alternate instructions. On the back the picture with the alternate instructions and the last 2 steps.

The Pieces

PartsandPieces.jpg

It's composed of red and black pieces. We have those classic wheels with a steel rod between them. Some plates, some trans pieces, 2 red doors and 2 of those hinged plates.

Interesting Parts

InterestingPiece.jpg

A 1x2 brick with grill markings and 2 wall panels with stickers. Peeron tells that the red brick appears in 7 other sets. But the yellow box and arrow sticker is unique.

Construction

Step5-1.jpg

It's a short 10 build. Pictured is step 5 and the van's already taking shape. There are no piece all outs in this instruction manual. And there are no difficulties with the construction since you're only building with primarily just 2 colors.

Complete.jpg

And it is done! Here is Mr. Delivery guy showing off his newly constructed van.

Play Features

Openparts.jpg

Not much there except for an opening roof, 2 opening doors (both of which, prominent in classic town vehicles) and the back storage door.

Storage-1.jpg

Not very roomy in the back. There are 2x3 studs on the floor there where you can attach your parcels.

And here's Mr. Delivery Guy's first parcel delivery!

FirstDelivery.jpg

It's a tiny red van which is a real classic town vehicle. I can definitely see the charm of these little vehicles.

Summary Review

Parts: There's not much unique pieces in it. The sticker's definitely a keeper though.

Design: I love it. It very much embodies "Classic Town". Now I understand why people are so nostalgic.

Playability: Opening doors and roof. Rolling wheels. Enough to keep a little child distracted or a grown man "VROOOMING"! :laugh:

I'd give it a 4/5.

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Thank you for viewing. :classic:

Edited by TheBrickster

:cry_happy:

Thanks for the review and the memories Raven Brickroft!

I never owned this set but one of my cousins during our childhood did and it was the first vehicle I was always choosing when we were picking cars, buildings etc for playing.

Simple, small, plain, you name it. That's why I like it! :wink:

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review. I would love to have one for my old school 4 wide town. Definitely 4 wide goodness.

One of my favourite sets. I own about six of these.

Great review; though you aren't quite correct on the stickers - they also appear in set 6361 for example.

One of my favourite sets. I own about six of these.

Great review; though you aren't quite correct on the stickers - they also appear in set 6361 for example.

Thanks for the praise. I looked into the 6361. They appear similar but are different. The arrows are different. I got my info about the sticker from Peeron.

190145.1167884205.jpg

Thanks for the review 'Raven Brickroft' ! :laugh:

What a cute van eh ?

Gee I need ideas for a mail van for my Aussie Post office - I think I found the basic design.

Thanks again 'Raven Brickroft' ! :laugh:

Thanks for the praise. I looked into the 6361. They appear similar but are different. The arrows are different. I got my info about the sticker from Peeron.

190145.1167884205.jpg

Interesting; the must have changed them at some point. Mine has the same stickers as 6624; which even appear on the front of the instructions:

6361-1.jpg

Awesome! One of my all-time favorite sets from when I was a kid. 25 years later, and this little van is still driving around my town. At some point, I swapped out the wheels with some more modern-looking ones, and made a few other little mods here and there, but the van is still basically the same as it's always been.

Sets like this really underscore that indefinable charm of classic old-school 4-wide Lego vehicles. Thanks for the fun review!

Great review of a nice little set! I recently built it in white (I never had the original set) as a milk delivery van, and it works splendidly.

Great review indeed, it's good to see Classic Town reviews being done by our fellow members. This is the kind of scale which is commonly being used back then, and such simple mechanism like opening up the rear, is one of the lovely feature.

Will love to own this set one day, and this has been featured in Classic-Town.net.

Oh man, what a classic set.

I love those wheels, those are classic old school LEGO wheels. :classic:

Great review! This was one of my first sets as a kid, and still ranks as one of my all-time favorites; I rebuilt it a few years back, after the various pieces being in storage for around two decades. ;)

Not sure how collecting multiple reviews of the same set works here, but for now I will assume the "1 topic per 1 set" rule and add a little video review of this one I made recently :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0uvqQvsz4k

Edited by Wallas
Repairing the hyperlink