SlyOwl

The Maeve Aulsebrook

This is phenomenal. I would love to know how to make those small swivel guns at the front. Could you post the pieces which you used to build them?

Beatifull work Slyowl, You are making an art :pir-blush: The ship is looking Perfect and those cannons are nice too :pir_laugh2:

Keep it up mate, you are doing an art indeed :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Captain Becker :jollyroger:

This is great a great ship SlyOwl. The tiled deck is so nice. Most people don't tile the decks making it look ugly.

Very nice for you first "proper ship" :thumbup:

Awesome Ship!!! I really like the look of the stern (well the entire ship for that matter).

Also the cannons are really well done

A Fantastic first ship SlyOwl! :pir-wub:

The colours are a nice choice.

I really like the decks, and the cannons on them.... :cannon::pir-wub:

The rigging is surperb!

Looking forward to seeing more ships from you in the future!

CommanderFox

You have been on a building spree lately. Congratulations on a gorgous ship. She is very nice with great lines and rigging and ofcourse since it is a slyowl creation you can comb through it for those special slyowl one of a kind touches. An instant classic and possibly the flag ship of the pirate fleet. Can't wait to see your second ship!

Captain Zuluu

The spanker? Is that the guy who does the flogging?

Spritsail? Bow sprit?

I didn't see any dangling cat heads but I'll have to look more closely.

You obviously know your ship terminology very well :pir_laugh2:

The ship looks pretty epic from this end but I am not one who is as knowledgable on the subject. I've watched a few good movies and built 2 big Lego ships. The new Imperial Flagship and the Troll Warship. Is the Imperial Flagship the biggest ship that Lego has ever released?

That's a lovely ship. The cannon redesigns are cute. Would you be willing to show any pics of the internal structure or is that a trade secret? I'd love to know how you got some of the angles on the sides.

Woah, thanks everyone! :pir-wub:

I like the Cannon Bow Ring connector. Its like they can slide the cannons along, Like fire pumps!

They're actually fixed to the deck behind, but I thought about putting them on like that!

Excellent! A true pirate brig, love the colors and the sails! Oh and of course the tiled deck! Great job, does it have a cabin??

Alas, no cabin. Too many hinges etc inside to do that :wink:

That is just an epic vessel! I'm very impressed! :thumbup:

Both her shapes and rigging is perfect, as well for the details. I think the bow is a bit low, but the stern is a piece of art.

And of course:

Aye, I meant to build a bit of a fo'castle, but it didn't really come together very well.

Thanks for the blog again :shark:

You did indeed! This is an awesome ship! I really like your sails and the tiled deck is great as well.

The sides of the ship are full of nice (coloured-)details.

If you want to improve it, I think you could lower the spanker sail a bit (so the top yard is on the same level as the crow's nest), and turn the lifeboat 180 degrees.

I did a bit of research about lifeboats. In general they were upside-down, as you suggest (to stop the rain staying in - I thought the inverse studs looked a bit ugly like this...) but on some ships they were upright, with a canvas cover, and chickens lived in the boats! I went for a compromise, an

You are really hopelessly too good !

When after 2 or 3 Moc, I didn't have any ideas on what to build next, you are always ready to amaze us ! Come on, look at your photostream on Flickr and check the date... Each week, you come with an amazing creation...

Oh, by the way, the photoshop editing is amazing ! How did you do the shadows of the boat ? This is not explain in your Enhancing Photos tutorial !! :pir_laugh2:

It's scary to me how much I build sometimes :pir-blush:

I've come on quite a way since that tutorial, and now mainly use different methods of cutting out. In this instance, I pasted the whole ship as a layer, then cut away the background. Then, copy and paste the ship as another layer, darken it, reduce the opacity, skew it, add in a ripple, and send it beneath the original layer. And viola, a shadow!

Fantastic MOC SlyOwl! There are very few things I don't like about it. Your lines are clean, your rigging is supurb (although you cheated and didn't tie the ratlines) and your colours are brilliant. But some things to think about:

• The spanker sits to high on the main mast.
  • The spritsail is too far forward on the bow sprit, and it would only have a lower yard if it had a second spritsail, else it would just be held in place by rope.
  • The catheads are too small, and too low. Perhaps try extending them out and bringing them up a little.
  • Try adding a second vertical part on each side of the headrails.

Other than that, I think it's brilliant! And she certainly has some bad-megablocks cannons on board! What is the piece holding the lantern up above the helm?

I'm glad I have a vague understanding of ship terminology! :pir-laugh:

a) Yeah, the spanker sits too high on the mast... but I don't really like the look of low booms on a ship, so stuck it high and away!

b) I used a cross-section book of the HMS Victory to detail the ship (as a brig-version) - and it had no sprit sail, but I felt like putting one on, after CGH and Bonaparte's Concepcion, and did no additional research; thanks for the heads-up!

c) You're right about the catheads - I put them in as one of the first things I built, not knowing the height I would build the tumblehome to at the time. I also thought at one point that I'd run the anchor chains through the holes in the hull, but that came to nothing.

d) I tried with another elastic band, and it looked better, but they pulled the flex cables together, and out the sockets... so I couldn't leave it like that.

e) It's part of a technic fig's arm - the centre part of the ball joint. The sticky-out bit fits into the inverse stud of a 1x1 plate snugly.

Good call on the figure head. I like that part a lot.

Thanks, it felt right once I'd put it on... unlike the alternative figurehead here :pir_laugh2:

mafinal.jpg

Impressive ship. I love the tiled deck, and your alternate cannons. At first I was like, Hmmm, it's just BSB, but it's not, it looks much larger and those sails are super impressive. Really great work, I don't know how you guys creat your own ships like this. Really nice work!

Captain Greenhair's tutorial on rigging and his build-a-frigate thread were invaluable resources, as was Evil Willy's sail making tutorial.

This is phenomenal. I would love to know how to make those small swivel guns at the front. Could you post the pieces which you used to build them?

They're similar to this one - technic ball pin in the bottom of a mf head, with a bar coming out the hollow stud. A mf wrench/spanner is the key part, attaching to the outside of the mf head stud, with the handle used to connect it to the ship/cannon base. Technic straight connectors form the barrel, with technic pins in the middle to hold onto the aforementioned bar.

The ship looks pretty epic from this end but I am not one who is as knowledgable on the subject. I've watched a few good movies and built 2 big Lego ships. The new Imperial Flagship and the Troll Warship. Is the Imperial Flagship the biggest ship that Lego has ever released?

Easily - with 4 midsections, it's bigger than the rest.

That's a lovely ship. The cannon redesigns are cute. Would you be willing to show any pics of the internal structure or is that a trade secret? I'd love to know how you got some of the angles on the sides.

I used Captain Green Hair's tumblehome technique, found in this thread, and discussed here. The only significant change was the use of cheese slopes beneath the angled portions instead of tiles, to hide the slight gap. More parts-intensive, though.

I did a bit of research about lifeboats. In general they were upside-down, as you suggest (to stop the rain staying in - I thought the inverse studs looked a bit ugly like this...) but on some ships they were upright, with a canvas cover, and chickens lived in the boats! I went for a compromise, an

I actually meant that the bow should be in the same direction as the bow of the brig :pir_laugh2: But maybe your way is right too.

And I didn't know about those chickens, that's really fun to know :pir-laugh:

The alternative figurehead is also very nice :pir-classic:

She came out wonderful buddy! :thumbup:

Great use of colours, the small checkered stripe, the tiled deck and the inventive headrails really add to the whole.

I like the idea of putting in cheeses to fill the slight gap, but it is so slight that to me it is not really worth it, especially not on big ships.

There are 2 things that look a bit strange to me.

The high spanker sail was already mentioned, as well as the low bow, but those are my only nitpicks as well.

In the end it is always a matter of taste I guess. :pir-classic:

I somehow missed this ship! Awesome work. The detailing is great and the colors work very well. I also like the snot decking. I would also have to agree with CGH about the bow and the spanker sail aft. But its good to see a well built pirate ship for a change! Great work! :thumbup:

Admiral Bejaune

Is there an interior? Will there ever be one? With as nice as it is on the outside I would love to see how great the interior is.

There's too many hinges and stepped plates behind the tumblehome to make a decent sized inside... and there's a mechanism under the main deck to make the cannons slide out by turning a knob - so there never will be an interior, as it's demolition day on Sunday or Monday :pir-cry_sad:

She came out wonderful buddy! :thumbup:

Great use of colours, the small checkered stripe, the tiled deck and the inventive headrails really add to the whole.

Wonder where I got that from! :pir_laugh2: Thanks for all your help :pir-wink:

I like the idea of putting in cheeses to fill the slight gap, but it is so slight that to me it is not really worth it, especially not on big ships.

I also tried using 1/2 panels, but there was still too big a gap. Plus it was an excuse to order another 60 black cheese!

There are 2 things that look a bit strange to me.

The high spanker sail was already mentioned, as well as the low bow, but those are my only nitpicks as well.

In the end it is always a matter of taste I guess. :pir-classic:

I've moved the spanker down subsequently, as it was a quick job - but I'm not going to rebuild the bow, as I said above - she's going to be scuttled for parts soon. I hope to get to STEAM this year, and might rebuild it for then.

I somehow missed this ship! Awesome work. The detailing is great and the colors work very well. I also like the snot decking. I would also have to agree with CGH about the bow and the spanker sail aft. But its good to see a well built pirate ship for a change! Great work! :thumbup:

Thanks mate!

You've managed to make a ship with all the good Captain Green Hair aspects and yet give it a typical SlyOwl touch :pir-wub:

There's too many hinges and stepped plates behind the tumblehome to make a decent sized inside... and there's a mechanism under the main deck to make the cannons slide out by turning a knob - so there never will be an

Well before you trash her, can you please take a few photo of this cannon mechanism? I'd be very interested to see it. :pir-classic:

Great ship! I like everything about it! That rigging is superb! CGH's tutorial sure is helpful, eh? The color scheme is perfect. The snot flooring looks great. And the stern is like, WOW! 10/10

P.S. Why'd you say its a 12 gunner? there's only 10...

Edit: sorry, I forgot I already posted...

Edited by the_green_avenger

You've managed to make a ship with all the good Captain Green Hair aspects and yet give it a typical SlyOwl touch :pir-wub:

Thanks Tom!

Well before you trash her, can you please take a few photo of this cannon mechanism? I'd be very interested to see it. :pir-classic:

There was a topic about a similar mechanism back in Summer 2008, which I can't find anymore. Anwyay -

cannonmechanism.jpg

Cannons are connected together on a shuttle, which can slide along the tiles. An axle runs down the centre of the ship at the bottom, with prongs sticking out which push the shuttle outwards when the axle rotates. I was going to have the axles coming out in some clever place eg. ship's wheel, hence the cogs, but it didn't work out.

P.S. Why'd you say its a 12 gunner? there's only 10...

10 normal cannons, 2 carronades :pir-wink: It sounds more impressive too!

Absolutely great ship!

Although I think there could be less room between the figurehead and the front of the ship. But that's just me.

Anyway, very, very nice!