Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

HMS Mercury

thindexedgif.gif 107C

00.jpg

This ship's captain's life is not an easy one... Not only did the pirates break out of their holding cell and are now wreaking havoc all over the place - the ship has also been attacked by a dragon carrying some strange green warriors...

05.jpg12.jpg

And to make things worse for the captain, it looks like his beloved lady has locked herself in the captain's cabin... with one of his soldiers!

22.jpg

Officers Deacon, Bulsara, Taylor and May are still manning their posts, but where is the captain?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some background info:

This MOC was about 80% ready, with the Technic figurehead long in place, and it was just supposed to be a standard Imperial ship (for my British faction). However, one day I was looking at the MOC, thinking of ways to improve it, and when I looked for like the 1000th time at the figurehead (I was considering replacing it with something completely different), suddenly it struck me - "Wait a minute, he looks kinda like Freddie Mercury, now, why didn't I notice that before, it's so obvious now!".

04.jpg

So, being a long time Queen fan, I stuck to that idea, and the rest of the MOC pretty much built itself.

The general plan was to make it still a 100% pirate era creation (that is, if you believe in dragons and other fantastic stuff :pir-classic: ), but there are numerous allusions to Queen songs placed all over the ship. If you're a Queen fan like me, I think you will have fun finding all the songs' titles hidden on these pictures. If you're not, it's OK to just look at it as a normal Pirate MOC.

View the whole gallery HERE.

Hahaha, that figurehead is great! :pir-grin:

I love the rest of the ship, especially the fine ratlines. It could do with another colour eg. black or brown in the hull to break up the red/yellow a bit.

Great idea to make a ship in Queen style :pir_laugh2:

I'm not a big queen fan really, but I viewed a picture of the real band and I could recognize all the band-members on your ship :pir-classic:

I think your brown hull pieces don't fit very well with the rest of your ship and on the other hand it could use some more brown and black colours like Slyowl already mentioned.

For the rest you did a good job, the image on your sails are also nice.

That figurehead looks freaky. You've built a nice ship, but I'm not too sure about the combination of so much yellow with a tan deck. Nice work on the custom sails though.

I like this ship, it shows great quality and imagination, maybe I'll try to do one of my favorite bands next, lol, hmmmm, Nightwish ship..... :pir-tongue:

Thanks for the comments.

You're right the colour scheme is indeed very... colourful. :pir_laugh2: But you have to consider the fact that Queen were a colourful band - all those flamboyant and eccentric clothes and so on... So in this context I'm finding those - otherwise weird - bright red, yellow and tan colours quite fitting, and they go well with the overall image of the band IMO...

Edited by Dreamweb

Awesome ship, very impressive. I love the crew shot, not sure why but it really adds to the "getting to know" the ship feel.

I love the huge sails and the rope work. Another great Pirate ship!!

WOW. A very interesting ship. I don't care for the color (but color is such a personal thing) but I really love the lines of the ship. Her overall shape is really really nice. I think she could use some more detail/ornimentation on the sides to break up the large flat areas. Overall a very nice ship.

Fantastic ship! Queen is one of my favorite bands as well, so when I saw the tagline for your post I was immediately drawn in :pir_laugh2:

I love the mast head!

I'm glad you like it. :pir-classic: As a fan, I guess you've noticed numerous Queen songs represented in this MOC... :wink:

Looks great man, the shape is awesome and the rigging is brilliant! Although I'm not a fan of just the bow and stern being brown. I understand that you can't make them red because of the top half of the hull section, but perhaps consider making the rest of it brown? Looks great though, is the symbol on the sails your design?

EDIT: Just realised this is my 4,000th post, woot!

The sweetest sight ever seen! Life is Real' Busy on board this ship...

Nice to see another Queen fan on the boards, I found quite a lot of your hidden songs, let's give it a try:

Dragon Attack is the obvious one, and I Want To Break Free, but there are more subtile hints as well. Hammer to Fall is nicely done, so is Don't Lose Your Head, I see parts of Bohemian Rhapsody, of course Put Out The Fire, Death On Two Legs and there are many Sweet Lady's. How lovely of you to have included the Invisible Man... :pir_laugh2:

Is that Get Down Make Love, I see in the captain's cabin? I love your White Queen, and it is only now that I realise the attacking green men in battle are Ogres, that there is a Cool Cat and that the man on the stern is Trying Suicide (although advised not to).

My favourite though is Fat Bottomed Girls, fanatstic!

I must have missed some... Is this Kashoggi's ship? I think it must be... :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for a good laugh. :thumbup:

Very good simonwillems! You got almost eveything right! In fact you've also mentioned some songs I wasn't considering myself, but given the large number of songs and different ways of thinking, I was actually expecting that! These include Sweet Lady and Khashoggi's Ship, although I did consider The Invisible Man. :pir-classic:

And here are the songs you didn't mention that are also featured in this MOC (I shall cover them with spoiler tags just in case you or someone else wants to guess by themselves):

The dragon is "Spreading (Your) Wings", also the wizard commanding the dragon is a reference to "A Kind Of Magic", the lady with a crown and two muskets is a "Killer Queen", the rat symbolises "Great King Rat", the bananas are a very subtle hint to "I'm Going Slightly Mad" (the video), and last but not least, the pirate plundering the treasure chest is pretty ambiguous, my initial idea was "The Millionaire Waltz" but it may very well be "I Want It All" :pir_laugh2:

I'm sure a lot more can be found with some more imagination though! :pir_laugh2:

I like your sails a lot. The colors look good. I totally missed all the Queen stuff, not really a fan but it is kind of fun you did it anyway. Are you working on Run bow/stern peices or are you just leaving them brown?