Wow - what an awesome model to turn up just in time for Australia Day!

I agree with the others that have said its much more interesting to look at than a straight model... I loved those cutaway books as a kid!

I'd love to see something similar done with a submarine or sci-fi space ship etc etc. I did a quick Google for 'Lego Cutaway' but didn't see anything close to what you've done.

Absolutely stunning. I love MOCs with such detailed interiors, and all of the funny little parts you included makes this even better. :classic:

Beautiful work!

Amazing.

I am really speechless to say how brilliant this plane is.

Well done it must have been really hard work.

The shape is just perfect.

Again it is brilliant, Well Done.

Amazing is the least I can say! :sweet:

Superb work reload! Your attention to detail is out of this world! I still can't believe that you've managed to include all the activities and elements of a plane in this MOC!

Excellent!

:classic:

Off-topic:

Your Flickr is one of the most interesting and enjoyable LEGO photostreams I have ever seen. :thumbup:

Thats brillaint work mate and welcome

I would love to chat to you about the Sensor / micro motors you used and the .net bluetooth area

Thanks Simon

Its around 35k peices give or take, the seats alone use about 7k peices.

think.gif

This is a 30,000/35,000 part MOC :

RSD1.jpg

Your model seems smaller, by far. As a consequence, I would have said it have about 20,000. But I may be wrong. :look:

Do you have any higher resolution pictures?

+1

Anyway, congratulations ! And thanks for sharing ! :)

The NXT and Power functions use the lithium batteries and they lasted all day full usage no problems, but the mindsensors churn thru AA batteries like no tomorrow so i will have to find a new battery or go with mains power (anyone got any tips for a 6v source for this?)

Welcome, and great build!

IIRC The rechargeable PF Lipo is 7.2v is it close enough?

Servos are really bad for battery drain they are constantly driving to maintain position even when stationary! can you set them to float? if so they will not drain when idle.

Good work!

Do you have any higher resolution pictures?
Anyways more pickures can be found on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32580212@N03/
Your model seems smaller, by far. As a consequence, I would have said it have about 20,000. But I may be wrong.

I'd say and interior usually adds 50% ontop of the structure pieces! so 10,000 for inside would be right for 20,000 on the outside.

Parax.

Edited by Parax

I have never seen its likeness before. Very beautiful design. Every detail seems to be in place. I love the tail design. The whole things is brilliant and the interior is amazing. It's like a giant Where's Waldo inside a plane built from Lego.

This model is massive, but it actually has a lot of great functionality too. :thumbup: Most models you see of this size are sculptures and are entirely static. Outstanding work.

I think it might be a good idea to add the wings on the other side though, with the body of the plane remaining a cutaway. Having both sets of wings would give it the right overall shape and make it look even more imposing.

Holy... and you didn't get a MOC expert badge? That thing is gigantic! And it's automated? That's insane! I love the plane so much.... and the best part is that it looks like a giant (properly scaled) version of the one Lego's made!

I'd love to see some more. :thumbup:

I really like your plane. There aren't too many ones built at this scale with so much detail, let alone with power functions. Do you have any video footage? Also, love the "Snakes on a Plane" reference. That was pretty funny. :laugh:

Holy... and you didn't get a MOC expert badge?

I dont even know what one of those is, but it sounds cool :) who do i bribe to get one? :tongue:

I really like your plane. There aren't too many ones built at this scale with so much detail, let alone with power functions. Do you have any video footage? Also, love the "Snakes on a Plane" reference. That was pretty funny. :laugh:

Sadly no video footage, but i am taking it to brickworld in chicago in June, so ill be sure to get video footage there :)

Servos are really bad for battery drain they are constantly driving to maintain position even when stationary! can you set them to float? if so they will not drain when idle.

Sadly some of the servos had to hold position to keep them open, like the doors, tail wings etc, but yes your right, the constant drive position chews through the battery like no tommorow.

I will definatly be sourcing either a big rechargable battery or a mains power unit that can attach into the screw terminals.

It was kind of sad for the last hour i couldnt show off all the functions to everyone. but its always good to learn how to do things better.

I also need to redesign the two rear landing gears a bit, they got stuck on the doors once, again always a lot to do.

I have a couple of commercial mosaic jobs to work on now, so ill probably get back to the airbus in march some time.

Super job on the build, it looks fantastic. I was fortunate enough to see it "in the flesh" so to speak at BrickVention.

Pictures do not do it justice. I did take some video but it may be a week or two before that is edited and up on youtube.

As for the servo's, try using a technics worm drive (screw cog).

It allows for smooth precise motion but also has the advantage of not being easy to unwind.

It effectively means it is easy to turn from the motor end but hard to turn from the other so it will hold a lot of weight.

Anyhow, I love your work Ryan, all those plates on the wing..........insane.

That is just crazy.

I love all the little details that were included, and the size is definitely intimidating. Great job! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Such an impressive build - well done Reload!!! And talk about timing with unveiling it, with today being Australia Day and all.

Now I really wish I had gone to Brickvention this year. :sad:

Apart from the jet itself, I really like the effort you put into the smaller models - especially the red/white tow trucks. They are perfect.

Sadly some of the servos had to hold position to keep them open, like the doors, tail wings etc, but yes your right, the constant drive position chews through the battery like no tommorow.

Perhaps you should either counterbalance or create more resistance on the axles of these parts,(there are many ways to add friction to a hinge so that it wont fall due to gravity.)

If the servos are holding the flaps up maybe you are lucky the batteries lasted as long as they did!

Parax

PS the PF Rechargeable is 7.4v not 7.2 as I said. but you'd probably be better with a batter pack from an RC shop.

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Eurobricks. I also saw this in the flesh, and it is completely awesome. For anybody not really believing the piece count, you are probably underestimating the size. The model is huge, nearly 2mx2m, and the interior is packed with detail and minfigs.

Ryan's Mocs are a highlight of Brickvention for me each year, and he is a really freindly and funny guy while doing it. He's also modest, as he failed to mention this was voted Best in Show.

Peter