Sign in to follow this  
ILikePi

REVIEW: 6239 Cannon Battle

Rate this set!  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What rating do you give to this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

NOTE: This review was started on March 7, 2009, and the text and pictures are not as good as I would want them to be (some parts of the text may also be outdated). My future reviews will be much better. :wink:

The last Pirates set before the 2009 wave was released in 2002. Now, it's time for Pirates to return! I decided to post Cannon Battle as my first review in the Reviewer's Academy because the index doesn't have it in it. Ok, now on to the review! :classic:

6239-0.jpg

For some reason, LEGO's website shows the pirate with a blue cap, and the telescope piece backwards.

Set Name: 6239 Cannon Battle

Theme: Pirates (Pirates II)

Pieces: 45

Year Released: 2009

Minifigures: 2

Price: 5.99 USD/ 3.89 GBP/ 5.95 EUR

Theme: Pirates

Year Released: 2009

BrickLink

Brickset

Peeron

My Brickshelf

LEGO Shop Description:

Box

Front

6239_01.jpg

All 2009 Pirates sets have a nice box design, with some burned paper and a sand/ocean background.

6239_02.jpg

Not really actual size, eh? :tongue:

Back

6239_03.jpg

The back of the box shows all the accessories that come with the set, and a small advertisement for 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty.

Contents

6239_04-0.jpg

Inside the box there are two bags, the instruction manual, and a pamphlet advertising the LEGO Club.

Instructions

6239_05-0.jpg

The instruction art is the same as the box, but without most of the words and stuff. It also had a warning (like the box) telling you not to let kids under 3 play with the

paper, which is made of small parts. :tongue:

6239_05.jpg

The inside of the instructions look like yellow-brown paper, with a burn mark at the top of each page.

6239_06-0.jpg

There's a poster of all 2009 Pirate sets (except for Shipwreck Hideout) at the back of the instructions.

6239_07.jpg

Parts list.

Pieces

6239_08-0.jpg

There's a total of 50 pieces (5 extra).

Wall

6239_09-0.jpg

The wall is very simple and easy to break with the cannon. It consists of 18 pieces.

6239_09-1.jpg

Back view.

Cannon

6239_11.jpg

The instructions tell you to put the telescope upside down. Are the instructions wrong, or is the box art wrong? To me, the box art version looks better.

6239_12-0.jpg

Finished.

6239_032.jpg

Front view. There are two pegs in the cannon that go in when the cannon is pulled. When you release the cannon, it fires a 1 x 1 round cylinder. It works great, and can fire the cannonball very far (over 5 feet)!

Finished Set

6239_12-1.jpg

The set in all its glory. :classic:

Extra Pieces

6239_036.jpg

6239_043.jpg

You can use the extra pieces as more detailing for the wall.

Minifigures

6239_13.jpg

I've never owned a Pirates set until now, so these are my first soldier and pirate minifigures.

6239_13-1.jpg

Some nice back printing here. :classic:

Accessories

6239_14-0.jpg

This set comes with one cannon lighter thingy, one rifle, two cutlasses, two cannonballs, two hats, and two epaulettes.

New Pieces

6239_15.jpg

These are the pieces I've never owned before. I didn't count the ones that are just a different color as a new piece, like the 2 x 6 tan plate.

Extra

A few hours later after I got this set, my cousins came over. He said that he "lost" one of the cannonballs. :hmpf_bad: Now, my collection isn't big, so I didn't have a replacement. I tried getting a replacement on LEGO.com, and a few days later, they sent me it for FREE! :tongue: Now I also have a storage bag for the set! :classic:

Pictures of what's inside at my Brickshelf folder (when public).

Rating

Build: 9/10 Pretty simple, but fun.

Design: 9/10 Again, it is simple, but still looks good.

Minifigures: 10/10 2 minifigures in a small set that costs less than 2 impulses is a good deal.

Playability: 10/10 It's the cheapest set to include a firing cannon!

Price: 8/10 It doesn't follow the price per part ratio, but it does include 2 minifigures. Also, it is a small set, and small sets tend to be more expensive.

Overall: 9.2/10

Conclusion

I do believe that I could've taken more pictures, but I forgot what to take pictures of.

Overall, this is a good deal for a inexpensive set, and it has a firing cannon! :tongue:

It also includes lots of accessories.

I edited the some of the pictures because I thought they were too dark, but my Flickr page has the unedited (and full sized) ones (doesn't have the new pictures that I took, just the old). Just keep clicking the next picture at that link.

Thanks for reading my review! :classic:

Thanks for the review 'ILikePi' ! :pir-classic:

You're right it is good value for money, 2 minifigs and a firing cannon ! :pir-cry_happy:

Even comes with something you can shoot at ! :pir_laugh2:

I'm a conformist! ! :pir-classic:

Good useful & thorough review of an outstanding set. I can't keep myself from buying more and more of these at $6 each! The wall is a little lame, but when bought in quantity one winds up with enough elements to do some useful things. I wish LEGO would make more sets like this, nestled between the tiny impulse sets and the more expensive battle packs.

Thanks for the review!

Just FYI, "New Pieces" is not defined as "pieces you personally have not owned before." It means pieces never produced before: new molds, new colours or new printing.

Thanks for the review, I have this set and I think it's such a great deal, 2 figs for that low price, plus a canon, what more do you need!

Definitely a great set and a favorite of mine, a big time cannon lover. :cannon:

I keep getting more of them to add guns and crew for my Imperial Flagship. The local LEGO store still has plenty in stock, but not on sale yet. I plan on getting some more before they become scarce. They're not a bad deal even at list price.

Are the instructions wrong, or is the box art wrong? To me, the box art version looks better.

Personally, I think the instruction version looks better, because it looks like there's fire in the little "cup" at the end. Also it doesn't go down to being so visually thin.

Price: 8/10 It doesn't follow the price per part ratio, but it does include 2 minifigures.

And a cannon! :D

Anyway, good set. Nice for cheap cannons, cutlasses, guns, generic pirates, stone/wall pieces, and soldiers.

'S why I got two. :)