Badsneaker

Have you seen this cool photography method

Mmmm... Sugar.... :laugh:

It has a really nice effect, I have to try it out sometime.

Thanks for posting this!

Those pictures look fantastic, i was quite suprised to find out it was all taken underwater. I have actualy wanted to try something like this myself with some Atlantis figures... :thumbup:

Edit: Spelling :tongue:

Edited by MrTools

:laugh:

500x_4154463591_f126000363_o.jpg

They're all very good, but this one cracks me up.

He is one of the best Hoth photographers IMO. His Flickr Photostream is here with some more cool Hoth shots. :sweet: Some of those comments on that are pretty stupid. :hmpf_bad:

Mmmm... Sugar.... :laugh:

It has a really nice effect, I have to try it out sometime.

Thanks for posting this!

Reacted Plaster of Paris, actually... :classic:

I saw these through Gizmodo a while ago, and the one with the burning Astromech was my wallpaper for a while. Great find!

Wow those are great photos. I would have never have guessed how it was done.

Thanks for the link!

OH WOW ! this is absolutely incredible ! what a unique way of creating such an incredible feel and look, i love it !

thank you so much for sharing this :cry_happy:

These photos are very popular and definitely are some of the very best you can find for Starwars Lego Photography, I have been thinking about making Lego Starwars photos under natural environment, but the minifig size can be an issue - Fire, rain drops, and may be snow flakes are not exactly minifig scale compatible.

Thanks for posting the link to those photos. Excellent pics and some interesting techniques. I'd never have thought to use talcum powder for snow. might give that a try.

Reacted Plaster of Paris, actually... :classic:

I saw these through Gizmodo a while ago, and the one with the burning Astromech was my wallpaper for a while. Great find!

Ssh! :wink:

Hello!

A very inspiring and humorous gallery. And the snowing technique is definitely remarkable. :classic:

Good find!

~ Christopher

He is a very good photographer and that's a great technique.

Smokebelch has done some similar but without the snow in the air.

Truly fun to look at.

These pictures are great! :thumbup: I wonder how he managed to position the

snowballs under the water like that. :oh: Any ideas?

Edited by Cloney

Apparently he uses ground plaster, which falls very slowly through the water so he has enough time to take the shot.

There's been some questions about how I do the snowshots. I've given some verbal information about the technique, but I guess, a photograph about my setup is needed. So, I made the photos above and below just for the occasion.

The setup is simple really. All I use is an old transparent CD storage box, some water and my trusty old A4 lightbox for lighting. For the bottom of the box I have a piece of gray Lego baseplate cut in form and hotglued on a piece of acrylic sheet to give it some weight. Legos float because of all the air trapped inside individual pieces.

Anything I want to shoot is then easily mounted on the baseplate and inserted inside the CD box.

Photographing "snow" in this scale is difficult, and to amp up the challenge I wanted it to fly around. The answer was not to use faster shutterspeed but to slow the snow down.

I had a wacky idea to submerge everything in water, it slows down everything that moves. The water also causes light to reflect from solid surfaces in a way that sometimes helps hiding the miniature scale. This is an old concept I've been toying with for ages. For the snow I use ground plaster of Paris (reacted, not unused gypsum powder!), it is a passive material that doesn't stick to anything.

Lighting is done with the lightbox freehand as you can see from the photo below.

I shoot a lot of frames because the "snow" is impossible to control exactly. And then some photoshopping is in order, but not always, sometimes none is needed.

He probably dropped it in and let it fall while snapping piocs, or used fishin string, which woould be easy to photoshop out.

he explained once: there's a needle or something that hold the snowball but it's shot in an angle where you can't see it

wall needle snowball camera

One of my workmates sent me this jst before Christmas: I was well impressed! It's fascinting to see what original effects can be created when photographing LEGO, much we see in our own Photography thread here. Inspiring stuff!

Wow, that's great! So the models are underwater?

It's like a snowglobe! (Is that what they're called?)

Wow, that's great! So the models are underwater?

It's like a snowglobe! (Is that what they're called?)

Kind of it's more like a small fish tank, then he drops the stuff in and it sinks slowly.

very innovative.