71 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

INDEXED

I had been looking forward to this set since I first heard about it. As a child of the 80's, I had the Shell Tanker, this was a much loved set. I looked forward to this set as a suitable remake of a much loved childhood model, and as my first Octan set. I was well aware of the limitations of the trailor before I purchased, which I found to consist of 10 pieces to make the main part. And this is why it is a review of two halves, an outstanding tractor unit, and a medicore trailer unit which will require much modification (if it survives at all).

This retails at £14.99 in the UK, and consists of many parts (I had assumed the inventory would on BrickLink by now, im sure it will be soon!.

It comes in a box, the front looks like this:

5107532340_b8409072b5.jpg

If you decide to look at the back of the box, you will see this:

5107534840_bb3dd8e45a_z.jpg

Turning the box to the side, you will see this:

5107534846_8919694fbb.jpg

Inside the box you would find two numbered bags, three green half cylinder pieces, and the hose and nozzle:

5107534850_72de65d4f8_z.jpg

I am sure BrickLink we soon have the full inventory..., but for me an interesting part is this, which will prove very usefull soon.

5107534852_2712f2d562.jpg

Obviously with Lego, assembly is required, so instructions are provided:

5107534854_8531a3fa25.jpg

The key is to add the pieces in the right place, in the correct order:

5107534860_2915524432.jpg

We have one MiniFig. I am quite happy with the MiniFig, as I did not have this torso before, he also has an acceptable face, but best of all he wears the new design of baseball cap (which I did not have before). The MiniFig is not exactly WOW, but there are no problems.

5107537582_4becbd108e_z.jpg

Stickers are included, which I choose not to apply:

5107537592_ffac80eca3.jpg

The first element to be built is this little fuel pump:

5107537596_e15440143a.jpg

This is a nice extra to provide some playability straight from the box.

The second element to be built is the tractor unit. There are minor flaws with the tractor unit, mainly some really unusual coloured pieces in the base...

5107537598_af71a797f2.jpg

Thats no problem because they are soon hidden. Although I will be swapping the red, yellow and green of the base to blacks and blays I think...

I am really impressed with the tractor unit, it seems so much more better than the one in 7633 Construction Site.

I really liked the way the Fifth Wheel, has been designed.

5107537600_4575dc52e2_z.jpg

Even better are the red and yellow connections for the brakes and lights:

5107537602_4b55f31dd7.jpg

At this point the interesting part comes into play, and allows old school car doors to be integrated into a 6 wide 21st century design of Lego truck:

5107541212_f449cafbf3.jpg

The third element to be built is the Tank Trailer.

This starts well:

5107541216_7734233d0e.jpg

And continues well:

5107541222_9a3a6688e6.jpg

At this point some interesting yellow things are built, and are placed in the cupboard:

5107541224_70c19e18d7.jpg

I am not sure what purpose they have (apart from being a source of 1 x 2 yellow cheese?).

Now things take a turn for the worse...

5107541232_c7440a684f.jpg

I was well aware that the main part of the tanker was constructed of few pieces, but this decsion really lets the set down...

Why?

5107541234_3dfd17b454_z.jpg

Thats really not nice is it?

I mean its not to bad on the back, a ladder hides the worst:

5107543384_33ca9886e9_z.jpg

The finished trailer:

5107543390_a0eea17cb1_z.jpg

The set looks like this (you will find better pictures of the full set anywhere apart from here!)

5107543396_c5af212a0b_z.jpg

5107543402_a32e4969a4_z.jpg

And you are left with some spare parts:

5107543404_34347dfbe8.jpg

An extra Trans Clear Cheese Slope is always nice.

I have two problems with the Trailer, firstly the ends, and secondly I think it is to long. I am quite sure the holes at the ends can be covered easily, but i'm not happy about the length. If 2 cylinder sections had been used it would be to short, but 3 make it too long...

Maybe because I was so impressed with the Tractor Unit, that I found fault with the Trailer. I think the tractor unit is a really nice model. Obviously it uses standard city wheels which are too small, and contains some unusual coloured parts (these are hidden, but I can not leave them in place), but these are minor complaints.

I don't think the trailor will survive long as it is. I will still have an Octan Tank Truck, but not in this form...

Even though I am not overly impressed with the Trailer Unit, I would still highly recomend this set. As the Tractor Unit is excellent, and you are left with the challenge of making the Trailer better!

Edited by mikey

Good looking review, some pics are a bit blurry but overll nicely done.

I too love the shell theme or sub-theme that LEGO has always worked with. I ahve some shell sets frorm my childhood that I love, plus the parts come in handy for MOC'ing. The trailer is my favorite part, all those half tubular pieces. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review! I really love this set :thumbup: I think it's the best tank truck TLG has ever released. The detail on both the truck and tank trailer is really awesome, alone that they included the connections for brake and light is really cool. I'm gonna buy this for sure!

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to get my hands on this set.

I, however, like the trailer. I think it is well proportioned to the tractor, and gives the look of a semi with a 45-53 foot tanker. I do agree that the holes could be filled on the front and back though. I also like that TLG is adding some realistic looks to the new models, like the brake/lights hookup on the back of the cab.

I would also add this to the top of the tanker to finish it off.

Hopefully I find this set in stores sooner then later!

Thanks for the review!

I really like this set! I just love the use of the large pieces for the trailer - it gives it a nice round shape. The inclusion of a miniature gas pump is a great addition too! :thumbup:

If this goes on sale I'll definitely snap one up off the shelves. :classic:

At this point some interesting yellow things are built, and are placed in the cupboard:

*snip*

I am not sure what purpose they have (apart from being a source of 1 x 2 yellow cheese?).

If you look at the back of the box, it shows them being used as some sort of "stoppers" to prevent the gas tank from moving when detached. :wink:

If you look at the back of the box, it shows them being used as some sort of "stoppers" to prevent the gas tank from moving when detached. :wink:

Yes, I believe they are supposed to be wheel chocks to ensure that the trailer doesn't roll forward or back! :thumbup:

I agree with those who don't mind the large pieces of the tanker. The overall look is fine, even the holes give it some sort of "industrial" look which is fine for a tanker truck.

It's an average set hence it's good :classic:

Thanks for the great review, mikey! This was actually on my 'to do' list later today since noone else has done it, so you've saved me the trouble :laugh:

The set is nice - bright and classic looking, and instantly recognisable. The design of the cab is the same as we always get and I can't help but think that the tanker itself looks a little simplistic. I think this set stands out more in the 2010 lineup because the rests of the Jan/ Feb sets are mediocre and a little drab looking. Still, definitely a must-have for me and the combination of red, white and green in the classic Octan combination is always a winner!

Thanks for the review. Although this seems like 'another truck', they do seem to get better every year, especially with the re-introduction of car doors this year. I sure hope mine - once I buy it - will also come with the new cap mold. Until now I only have it in red.

Thanks for the review!

Even if this is "another truck," it's another nice truck, since it's got great, bright colors, green doors, and the driving seat is not in the center of the cab, which I think is an excellent detail.

I think the trailer looks completely fine. Those big pieces are the best way to keep the price down, I think, and they make for a nice, tanker-looking trailer. The details around and on top are also good additions that make it very tanker-like.

That driver looks a bit young to me, but oh well, maybe he's just starting out, or he's always insanely cheery. What's in that mug again?

The one thing I can't stand is the annoying pilot and "HEY!" on the back of the box. Hey what? Hey it's a LEGO set? I think we knew that. Hey these are the play features? I think we knew that too. The "HEY Pilot" is starting to irk me as much as the screaming neilsen kid.

Thanks for bringing EB the first review of this set Mikey. I've added a poll so that others can vote on how well they like it.

Thanks for review. I concider the design as average, but I like 6-wide trucks :thumbup::thumbup:

Parts of biggest interest for me are the new green doors which has never been produced before and

also it was highly interesting to see the new bracket 2x6/1x4 or whatever it will be called, used to attach

the windscreen.

I dare assume those items will be costy on bricklink for some time......once the truck starts to sell in volume.

Thanks for the great review!

I to like the trailer. I like the large amount of green in it. And you know what it really would be quite good for? A Octan Energy Wind Turbine, à la 4999.

Thanks again, I'm definetly buying this!

Dr. Brick

Great review. They finally put doors on these trucks! I agree that the tank could be better, maybe with some slop pieces instead of 6 big ones :classic:

I'm not a big City person, but I'll keep an eye out for this one!

Thanks 'Mikey' for this cool review ! :sweet:

Oh yes I cannot wait to get this one - my little country town is running low on fuel for it's redeveloped service station. :sweet::grin::laugh:

That little fuel pump - a slight mod to it - hello diesel fuel pump for my servo ! :grin:

The ends of the tanker won't worry me I'll just find a way to fill them in.

Seeing the changes they have done to their prime mover's design I'll be applying to some of my trucks too in future.

Nice review, mikey!

I awaited it - it's one of the few 2010 city sets I will definitely lay my hands on. :wub:

I agree with the ends of the trailer, but it's nothing some pieces of 4274.png and 3068b.png couldn't fix. :wink:

But for the trailers size I think it's well proportioned. If you like it shorter just MOC a small tanker without trailer out of it.

A very nice review you've done mikey! This does look to be a fairly nice set. I see their reason for the trailer, as they couldn't really use the 2x2 slope pieces like they did in the classic tanker set. These large pieces make a fair compromise, but they could have done something with the ends, surely. Maybe stick a couple of these pieces over them?

Anyway, it isn't a bad set, and it's certainly a nice review, thanks!

~Peace

Thanks for all the comments.

I think your right! I tried not to look at the back of the box for too long because...

The one thing I can't stand is the annoying pilot and "HEY!" on the back of the box. Hey what? Hey it's a LEGO set? I think we knew that. Hey these are the play features? I think we knew that too. The "HEY Pilot" is starting to irk me as much as the screaming neilsen kid.

Thanks for the review. Although this seems like 'another truck', they do seem to get better every year, especially with the re-introduction of car doors this year. I sure hope mine - once I buy it - will also come with the new cap mold. Until now I only have it in red.

I totally agree, the truck designs are getting better, this Tractor Unit would be perfect if it did not use the standard city wheels, it has great details, and car doors! Of course the doors are out of proportion, but I don't mind that. I presume the new cap mold is a replacement for the old one, and it is a good replacement, it looks so much better than the original.

also it was highly interesting to see the new bracket 2x6/1x4 or whatever it will be called, used to attach the windscreen.

This piece is the star of the show. As a long term plan I will be refitting all my built trucks with this piece as soon as it is possible. It is the missing link that allows a secure connection between the car doors and the stylish flat front for trucks.

I see their reason for the trailer, as they couldn't really use the 2x2 slope pieces like they did in the classic tanker set. These large pieces make a fair compromise, but they could have done something with the ends, surely. Maybe stick a couple of these pieces over them?

Maybe it might be possible (with complicated AFOL techniques) to use smooth slopes to create the tanker, but it would be very parts intensive, and not exactly realistic for a

Edited by mikey

Ahhhh i have been waiting for a review on this one ! thanks very much !

Ill defentally be picking this one up, i'm only just starting to build my town and this will be a great one for the collection.

I quite like the construction of the main truck, very nice.

Thanks again :thumbup:

those yellow things are probably supposed to be the stoppers meant to go by the wheels to keep the truck from moving.

I really like the look of this set. I need a tanker truck for my animation. Always good to have something else highly explosive in an action scene.

This is also a remake of 6954 Gas Transit a set that i got when i was a kid. It is a bigger remake but has some of the same designs and features it was made in 1992 great review

Thanks for the review! :classic:

This looks to be a promising set for me!

I love the random usage of the pilot in my avatar in the top corner of the back of the box! :laugh: A pilot shouting "HEY!" was random enough on the Seaplane, but a fuel tanker??? :wacko::laugh:

Thanks for sharing!

-darthperson