Sign in to follow this  
Col. Brik

When is a MOC a Star Wars MOC?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

This question comes to mind because of my two sons. They both are pulling, pushing and basically enticing me to alter our LEGO Country into a Star Wars Country. If you've seen our pictures (below) you can tell there is no set theme to our World. There is every Theme represented but Star Wars is becoming the majority it seems. I have thought we have more of a "Fantasy Theme" going with everyone living amongst everyone. Our them is pure chaos actually :)

Which leads me to my question. I am working on a new MOC for the boys. A very large Space Ship. It should be around 90 studs long, 20 studs wide. I am building it for their Star Wars Figs to have a proper ship to transport them.

What makes a MOC a Star Wars MOC?

Star Wars parts? Basing it off a actual Star Wars Ship? Adding Star Wars Figs?

Once this ship is done it will be a Star Wars ship in my eyes because that is what they will use it for and because many of the pieces I am using come from Star Wars sets from old and new. Clones, Jedi, Clankers and BrikWar action at its best. I have looked at Star Wars websites to get a general feel for what the ships look like. I've seen all six Movies, watch the Clone Wars cartoon and have read and looked at some of the fan fiction and IMO just about anything I build could be called a Star Wars ship since they really had a broad look to them, again, IMO.

So again, what makes a MOC a Star Wars MOC?

I think the best way to make a ship fit into Star Wars, it should try to mimic the general style and colors of each faction's ships.

Most large Republic ships are triangular, and are usually colored grey and red, with occasional yellow accent, like the Venator Cruiser:

rmx856445.jpg

Droid ships often have rounded edges, but the Bridge sticks out up into the air, and they are usually grey and dark blue, like this Providence Cruiser:

Invisible%20Hand.jpg

Imperial ships and Rebel ships are both just grey, but Imperial ships follow a triangular pattern, like the Imperial I Destroyer:

star_destroyer.jpg

However, Rebels usually have more rugged, and older looking ships, like the Nebulon B:

nebulon.jpg

I hope that I've helped you get the general feel of how different ships are designed, and I wish you best of luck with your project.

To me, a SW MOC is a ship of somesort that then ahs a Star Wars background or story. Since it's your own creation, you are in charge of defining it's existance. Now if you make a wagon and put a Jedi on it, I don't know if that would count, but you know waht, it probably should.

I quite agree with Big Cam. We've seen in the CW TV show that there are planets where the people live in huts, or have wagons pulled by big beasts. I think as long as it isn't something recognizable as completely human (like a water tower, or a truck, or bank or something), then you can create an odd figure to go with it, give it a backstory in the SW universe, and it's Star Wars. Besides, space ships don't have to be part of a certain faction, so you can create whatever you want and decide. If you want it to be SW, then just give it a SW story.

The MOC can be whatever shape, size, or colour you like, but if you want it to be SW, you'd have to give it a background story or add SW figs :tongue:

Edited by prateek

Thank you all for your replies. I guess at this point of the build it is falling into the Droid/Rebel style of ships. It will be well rounded in the Hull which I think the will bring attention to it when I finish it. A larger stern section with larger engines 'ala Star Destroyer type and a Bow with a larger cockpit area. I'm not sure if it will be a Transport, Battle Cruiser or a Command ship yet.

Also thanks for the story idea. I will bring a story with the ship, it will be fitting for it.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess at this point of the build it is falling into the Droid/Rebel style of ships. It will be well rounded in the Hull which I think the will bring attention to it when I finish it. A larger stern section with larger engines 'ala Star Destroyer type and a Bow with a larger cockpit area. I'm not sure if it will be a Transport, Battle Cruiser or a Command ship yet.

Also thanks for the story idea. I will bring a story with the ship, it will be fitting for it.

Your welcome, I look forward to seeing your creations!

The MOC can be whatever shape, aize, or colour you like, but if you want it to be SW, you'd have to give it a background story or add SW figs :tongue:

I agree with this for the most part, with the obvious exceptions being already existing ships like TIE fighters. Even without figs or story, they are Star Wars! :tongue:

It's the cool thing about LEGO. You don't need to buy a particular theme to be able to build for it... and vice versa! :sweet:

I can understand what you are saying, in most cases I think it is easier for people to consider it a Starwars MOC, but there are exceptions.

For example, I built a Dragon Podracer, despite that Podracer is a Starwars entity/concept, using Dragon as twin engines (plus some oriental features) will probably make it very less likely to be considered as Starwars, so after all my post was moved to "other lego themes", though I truly wish it can be associated with the Star Wars theme.

So perhaps we can say if the thing can lead people to think of Star Wars instantly no matter what you use, then it is ok.

I think theres just a feel to star wars ships. They arent all Sci-Fi-ish with pipes but more elegant and sleek looking.

Edited by Roncanator

You can't go wrong looking for a bit of inspiration in what's been created already. Check here to find a pretty comprehensive list of craft from the Star Wars universe. You'll find many examples of designs both canon and non-canon, most of which use similar design principles. You can take those principles and apply 'em to your own MOCs.

I can understand what you are saying, in most cases I think it is easier for people to consider it a Starwars MOC, but there are exceptions.

For example, I built a Dragon Podracer, despite that Podracer is a Starwars entity/concept, using Dragon as twin engines (plus some oriental features) will probably make it very less likely to be considered as Starwars, so after all my post was moved to "other lego themes", though I truly wish it can be associated with the Star Wars theme.

So perhaps we can say if the thing can lead people to think of Star Wars instantly no matter what you use, then it is ok.

I think it could go eitherway. The podracer was from star wars so it's still a SW MOC, I mean a MOC is My Own Creation, so it's whatever YOU want it to be.

...I mean a MOC is My Own Creation, so it's whatever YOU want it to be.

That sums it up. We haven't seen the whole of the Star Wars universe, and there's always room for more star wars creations. The description of the ship is interesting. Can't wait to see it.

More input, thank you all. I have been checking out Star Wars sites but thank you for the Wookie link. It will help a lot. I hope to have the ship done after this weekend. As long as the piece count doesn't kill me. I think there are a few buildings that may have to come down for a few certain parts I need. :classic:

I'm trying to balance playability and looks which is tough. The kids just want a ship that will hold up but I'd like to build something I can show off.

I'm trying to balance playability and looks which is tough. The kids just want a ship that will hold up but I'd like to build something I can show off.

Let me clarify my own statement. When I look at the two Death Star Lego sets (#10143 and #10188) I see one as a display piece and one with massive playability. I am trying to balance the two. My brother has the #6211 Imperial Star Destroyer and it is very fragile, IMO. The kids can mangle it faster than a Jedi hunting Sith.

He also has the #101188 Death Star and the kids haven't decimated it.....yet :tongue:

I guess I can also blame him for our Town theme turning Star Wars, he has turned them both to the dark side. ;)

Well, if all else fails you can always crash-land it into the side of a building a la Tatooine! :laugh: