27 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate This Set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

PSHEW! PSHEW! PSHEW! The ARC-170 jumps out of hyperspace, guns a'blazing, going after a droid fighter. Kit Fisto, Captain Jag, and another clone pilot pilot the massive spacecraft. With missiles and two very big guns, the starfighter is a good match to any clanker fighters out there. But will it be enough? Find out in this RA Review!

Set #: 8088

Name: ARC-170 Starfighter

Theme: Star Wars

Year: 2010

Pieces: 396

Minifigs: 4

Price: 59.99 USD, 79.99 CAD, 49.99 GBP, 69.99 EUR

Lego

Brickset

Peeron

Bricklink

Flickr Set

The Box

4273433956_b2e71e1e9d.jpg

This is a very long box, making it hard to photograph in the little space available to me. So please forgive anything outside of the set. Anyways, this box is very long, but TLC only uses about 40% of it, even with the bags, instructions, and sticker sheet. But, other than being way too long, it is a nice, standard Star Wars box. It has the usual explosion near the wing, and laser beams heading for the starfighter. It appears to be over coruscant, which leads me to believe that this is episode three, not clone wars. That deserves a big :thumbup: from me.

4272690697_bdd2f15cbe.jpg

Back, showing the usual stuff. I.E., the basic features of the set and the other sets from this wave. It has a very cool picture of the crew getting prepped for launch, which is new (at least to me). From the box, you can already tell it will be a great set, making it even more tempting. Most people (like me) fall for it, and buy this wonderful set.

Instructions

4280648240_5cacb45c5e.jpg

The instructions are clear, easy to read, and, even better, Not folded. Same picture on the box, as usual. I would have preferred a little variety, but you can't have it all, I guess.

4280650308_4391ee236b.jpg

Random instructions page, showing the building up of the body. The build was hard with all the technic gears and such, but it was fun. I learned some new techniques to use in future MOCs, and it wasn't too very repetitive.

Minifigures

R4-P44

4273435150_ac65d3a094.jpg

I guess we'll start with this little astromech. He is a nice addition to any minifigure collection, with beautiful detailing and a sense of quirkiness that comes with all astromech droids. The best part; he's green! My favorite color! How wonderful.

Captain Jag

4280650894_d0f857affb.jpg

Next we have Captain Jag, the disgraced commander-now demoted to captain. Whatever his past, he is a superb minifigure. He has a new open-faced helmet with some great blue printing, and a new not-animated head. His legs are the same as the old clone pilot, which is perfectly fine, since it did its job well. The torso is new, and is a nice improvement over the old one. Overall, an almost Must Have.

Clone Pilot

4273435496_d2eac319c4.jpg

The Clone Pilot is basically the same as Captain Jag, but with some nice black detailing. It is nice to see some variety in an otherwise generic figure, but I wish it had come with two regular clone pilots, or the same minifigure selection, with another Pilot instead of Kit Fisto. I am Not saying Fisto's not awesome, I just like pilots.

4272691653_db7caf7c0e.jpg

Back Printing for the pilots. It looks nice, with some straps that remind me of overalls.

Kit Fisto

4279906183_03bb00d23e.jpg

Ah, here's the big green man himself! He is an excellent minigfig, albeit an unexpected one. I guess he does work well with the clones, and it gives the feel that Palpatine didn't want any Jedi without a clone to kill them. I like his new pearl lightsaber, not pictured here to show off the torso better, and his head is very nice.

ARC-170 Starfighter

4272692209_3937b3683d.jpg

Front view. It looks pretty intimidating at this angle, don't you think? The engines are huge, which is okay seeing as this set is massive. It has a snotty nose (Sorry, couldn't resist :tongue: ), and a big wingspan. It is very sleek/shiny. Very good.

4272692513_e93f619428.jpg

The back. This view is slightly better for some droids looking to bag themselves a clone starfighter or two. That rear gunner is a pretty good shot, though, so the droids never really stood a chance. The engines really taper off in size here, making them look weird. Is it just me, or does it look like a W from this angle? :wacko:

4272692755_b5499c9a02.jpg

Side view. A very good view for a droid tri-fighter, there are no defenses on the side. Not that fighters usually have guns on the side, but let's hope that those pilots are good at dodging.

4273437546_fdd5b9bb30.jpg

Cockpits opened, waiting for the crew. The 'mechanism' is very flimsy, falling off at the first touch. While I was photographing this, the back cockpit shield fell off in my hand.

4280898592_026ca34c93.jpg

Place for astromech. The way you get it in there is by opening the two cockpit pieces and place the droid into the slot.

4273438146_e7f1dce1da.jpg

Wings out. It looks very imposing, and I would hate to be a droid in this position. The mechanism for opening is nice and easy, yet painfully slow. The same mechanism fires the missiles, sending them a whole two inches before falling like rocks to the ground.

4280900286_7e5663aa47.jpg

While on the subject of the mechanism, here is the turning thing to operate it. It has a gear on the end, except my little cousin got a hold of it and threw it into a vent :hmpf: . It is easy to turn.

4280185439_3151289dbb.jpg

The mechanism of gears. It is simple, yet effective. It also relies on rubber bands to make sure the wings don't over extend, which isn't really a major gripe for me.

The Final Verdict

Design: 9/10. Very nice design, even though the engines are a little weird. A design flaw that couldn't really be avoided. The guns are big and dangerous, and the wingspan is HUGE.

Build: 8/10. I'm not a technic builder, but all these Star Wars Technic crossovers are turning me. The technic is necessary for the wings to open, but it is tedious all the same. The other parts are fun, and has some nice techniques.

Playability: 9/10. The starfighter has many weapons, and four minifigures. There are a host of scenarios that you can play out, especially if you have any droids. The reason for not full marks is because there isn't anything to shoot at.

Minifigures:9/10. I LOVE the pilots. The open faced helmets are very cool, and the markings make them even better. Kit Fisto is a great minifig to have, and is a great general for any clone army.

Price: 7/10. 396 pieces at $59.99 USD equals .17 cents a piece, making this well over the usual Price for Piece ratio. Even though, this set is well worth it, and the sheer size of it makes up for the high price point.

Overall: 9/10. I.Love.This.Set. It is big, and has three brand new minifigures, and one rare one. The build is fun despite the technic (no offence to all you technic lovers), the features are nice, and the size is extra massive. If you have the cash, buy this set. It is a great set, you won't regret it. Continuing on that note, here is the

Parting Shot

4276590060_8323e38857.jpg

I love my ARC-170...

Personally, I'm getting a bit Star Wars-ed out and am not getting a lot of the 2010 line so far, but this set really looks really exceptional, and I plan to get it in February or March. I missed this ship the first time around, so I'm glad they're re-releasing it.

Great review of a great looking set! :wink:

Sweet, my girlfriend just picked up this set for me today, still waiting for it to arrive of course. I'm not really that into the Star Wars line but this ship looks really impressive. This will be my first new set since 1998 lol.

Personally, I'm getting a bit Star Wars-ed out and am not getting a lot of the 2010 line so far, but this set really looks really exceptional,

I fully agree with you def. While this set looks to be nicely constructed and has great figures, there's just nothing telling me to get it. I even put the Rebel Trooper Battlepack back on the shelf and decided not to buy it. There's just something about Star Wars right now, that even though the designs are pretty good there's nothing to make me say "Wow!" like the 7666 or 2008 AT-ST pilot did.

Excellent review as well, cralegoboy. The impressive wingspan and curvature on this ship make it quite nice, and your crisp photos show it off well.

Great Review. Love the clone pilots and the new droid. One question : Is Kit Fisto's head new? That is, is it clay or plastic? The last set 7661 was clay.

Nice review. This looks like a fun set. I bought this a few weeks ago from TRU and have yet to open it. I've been spending time building my 3rd Gunship (I really love that ship) & the Freeco Speeder. Can't wait.

Is there anyone who has both this and the previous set?

If so, is it worth getting this if you already have the original? I like the figs, and the redesigned front end, but is that enough to make it worth it?

Good looking review, even tbough I think this is a cool ship, I just can't justify the price so this will not be entering my collection. Also since I already have Fisto, I don't see the need.

I have the old one.

This new set is, for me, the best set of 2010 collection.

We must remember that the 7259 has 3 pilots, whit the same design as v-wing´s pilot.

In that time, the set has regular minifigures, that we could buy in a $10 set.

the droid appears in 7 sets, very vulgar.

The design of 7259 is very good, but it doesn´t has good playability:

1: the wings are fragile,

2: the nose is weak

3: the rear cannons never stays in its place

this new one seems more robust, whit better design.

the minifigures are amazing and KIt Fisto is an amazing minifigure for those who doesn´t have the 7661, lauched 3 years ago.

I´ll buy it as soon as possible.

I also have the old one but I might get the new one. Both of them don't have too many features. But I really want the minifigures in this set. By the way nice review! Keep them coming. :classic:

Edited by TheRealBrick

Great review, I don't usually buy sets that have pieces made in China but you may have persuaded me on this.

Great review, I don't usually buy sets that have pieces made in China but you may have persuaded me on this.

With LEGO nowadays it's hit or miss, if they make the design you want in China, then you have a decision to make.

Beautiful looking model and nice review! I def. want to get this kit even though I think the price is too high. Looks great.

One thing...could be my eyes or maybe's there's a distortion on the photo but the droid's printing on the head looks wonky. Like a little warped on the side?

Edited by LegoDad42

It is a little misprinted, actually. I noticed it taking the pictures, just decided not to say anything.