Anio

Venator Class Republic Attack Cruiser

The last Venator was sold for 1250€ approx. 4 months ago (not buy now). So the price is higher than a rebricked MF or used Star Destroyer, because it's rare. So i think it's at least a rebrick without losing money when I have to sell it sometimes.

Sorry for the stupid question, but i can't find the answer...

Was this set ever an official Lego set? I see the sticker and it makes me thing this thing was produced by Lego.

Or was the sticker custom made along with this Venator, not associating with the Lego company at all!?

Sorry for the stupid question, but i can't find the answer...

Was this set ever an official Lego set? I see the sticker and it makes me thing this thing was produced by Lego.

Or was the sticker custom made along with this Venator, not associating with the Lego company at all!?

There's this from 200...9? 2010?

vgSAkye.jpg

Was this set ever an official Lego set?

No.

I see the sticker and it makes me thing this thing was produced by Lego.

Photoshop.

I am very late to this party, so I apologize for making any of you revisit an old build. BUT, several of you modded Anio's original design due to parts availability or other cosmetic concerns. Would it be too much bother for you to list out in one post the parts you changed out, and what sections of the instructions you modified? I'm specifically looking at anyone who replaced the magnets with alternative mechanisms, and any cosmetic alterations you may have done. Anio, I have also sent you an email requesting instructions on payment.

I have been collecting and building UCS sets since 7181 and 7191, but I have never been brave enough to attempt something on my own like this. Thank you all for inspiring me to embark on my first MOC reproduction!

Hi, just found this thread and it has me excited. I have loved the UCS Star Wars line since my grandfather bought me my first piece, 7191, right before he passed away. Since then I have purchased pieces that interest me, that include the Imperial Star Destroyer, the Super Star Destroyer, the B-Wing, and most recently Boba Fett's Slave I.

I live in Canada, and have been wondering if anyone has a rough estimate of cost to acquire the pieces needed to complete this beautiful creation of the Venator. I really would like to purchase the gorgeous instructions and begin to acquire the pieces needed. My concerns are:

1) how likely am I to find all the pieces I need to complete this piece of art?

2) at what cost should I be budgeted for, say if all needed pieces had to be purchased?

3) how does one go about acquiring the pieces needed, I am new to this scene and don't quite know the ins and outs of it, what is the best way for a Canadian to acquire these pieces.

any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated,

thank you kindly,

Kyle

Kyle,

I just embarked on this project this weekend.

1) how likely am I to find all the pieces I need to complete this piece of art?

As far as I can tell, all the pieces are still available. However, some are very rare, and therefore the cost is higher.

2) at what cost should I be budgeted for, say if all needed pieces had to be purchased?

So far I have ordered roughly 64% of the total parts I need, with a cost of around $500 US including shipping from 7 different stores, 6 in the US. Please note that I DID choose to use the magnet attachment system, and that alone is about $250 for all the components (magnets, top and bottom holders). Several of the other posters here devised their own solutions that did not require such expensive and rare pieces. I still have some of the expensive panels left to purchase as well, but I'm hoping that I can get everything for around $700 - $800 US total.

3) how does one go about acquiring the pieces needed, I am new to this scene and don't quite know the ins and outs of it, what is the best way for a Canadian to acquire these pieces.

There may be some high quantity items that take some time to get completely ordered, but with thousands of stores on Bricklink.com you can eventually get it all together. It is highly likely that you will have to place at least one overseas order, but you should be able to find almost everything in North America.

Hope this helps, but realize that this is my first go-around as well. There are many seasoned vets on this forum and of this build specifically that can speak from experience. Good luck!

Edited by phaelon

Hi Kyle,

These are the things that I noticed when I was building my Venator, if it helps:

1. 2436b - Make sure you have 2 Dark Red (this is for the top red strip on the Venator)
  2. 2744 - Get new because this will be part of the display stands
  3. 30159 - As you know, get any colour your want... it doesn't matter.
  4. 30249 - Get new as this will be part of the bridge (very visible)
  5. 30363 - Get new, part of display stands
  6. 3297 - Get new, part of display stands
  7. 3626b - Make sure they are trans-blue (part of the engine)
  8. 3703 - DBG - Make sure they are new. Part of the back that the engines are attached to. It is quite visible.
  9. 3703 - LBG - 68 pieces but I would swap most of them to black (or any other colour) since they are part of the frame.
  10. 3960/43898 - Get them in trans-blue (engine cover colours)
  11. 4592c05 - get the ones with LBG base and black levers (so much cheaper then the full LBG ones!)
  12. 50451 - Any colours are fine. They are used to fix the engines to the ship.
  13. 6179 - No need to get them because they form the plaque, if you are getting the 8x16 tile to stick your Venator sticker

Trust this helps!

He guys have a question...trying to place the twin bridge section to main body. Does it just go into place and rest there or does it attach? I'm missing something?

He guys have a question...trying to place the twin bridge section to main body. Does it just go into place and rest there or does it attach? I'm missing something?

It should sit nicely on the main body and the central spine (the grey section, after the dark red area) should rest snugly against the bridge.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/anio/venator-star-destroyer#parts_list

is this an official list of what is required? what scares me is that I see options to buy 59%-71% of these parts for roughly 4,500$ CAD, are these accurate prices for the value of these pieces?

thanks guys, appreciate all the insight above as well!

Keep in mind that just because a store has a ton of parts (64%) that does not necessarily mean that their prices for each piece is good. You could do it for WAY less than $4500, maybe even less than $1000 depending on the magnet holders.

Azrielsc, I wish I had dug through the manual more closely regarding new pieces! I'll have to inspect the pieces as they come in and compare them to your list, but if they're not in good shape, I may have some more ordering to do. :(

3703 - LBG - 68 pieces but I would swap most of them to black (or any other colour) since they are part of the frame.

It would help to know how many of these can be any color...

6179 - No need to get them because they form the plaque, if you are getting the 8x16 tile to stick your Venator sticker

For anyone wondering, the 8x16 tile referred to is Part # 90498 in black.

Thanks for the list Azrielsc!

Edited by phaelon

Hi guys!

I am really into this huge Moc - I can't describe how awesome this looks, holy moly.

But I wanted to get some things to know, eventhough I know that these questions had been asked a million times before:

Can anyone, who has already built this monstrous thing, tell me, how much it would might cost, ordering all the required parts via bricklink, or is it too expensive?

Because I'm considering to order this instruction.

Thanks for your help. :)

Kind regards,

Scorch

Edited by Scorch93

Read Phaelon's post, a couple of posts back :wink:

I didn't know you were into Star Wars Jim. :grin:

Most definitely! :laugh:

I'm following most of the big SW MOCs on this site, includings yours :thumbup:

Might give it a go some day!

Just a quick follow up to my progress. I have now ordered 100% of the parts and everything is on its way. I spent 4 days buried in my spreadsheet and Bricklink. Because I was in such a hurry to get everything ordered, I didn't watch and wait for prices of certain pieces to go lower, and some of my final orders were unoptimized $2 orders with $3 shipping. :/ BUT, based on what I was seeing with some of the pieces, some of these parts are getting very rare and will need to be replaced with something more current for future builders.

Totals

34 Orders (all US except for 2)

Cost per Part: ~$ 0.21 US

Parts Cost: ~$1150.00 US

Shipping Cost: ~$ 150.00 US

This includes the stupidly expensive magnetic attachment system, which is around $225 US for magnets and holders. To the fence-setters, all I can tell you is that the longer you wait, the higher this number is going to go unless you start replacing parts, which I did not do. I guarantee you that the other builders here who did this 6 months ago did it cheaper than I did.

I must confess to using free labor for the next step. My kids are going to inspect everything that comes in, reconcile them against each order, and then hand it over to my wife to be organized into separate bins. :)

Edited by phaelon

I'm in the club: D

the cost is around 830/840 € including shipping, 7 Bricklink orders, 1 pick a brick

I changed a few pieces

dark red brick with 1x10 (3x) plate dark red 1x10

dark red plate with 4x12 (6x) plate dark red 4x2

brick w. LBG 1x16 holes with brick w black holes 1x16

LBG lever with LBG / black lever

tile 1x6 dark red with 1x3

I used a part of the solution proposed a few pages back to avoid the magnets. (link)

I'm very happy :wub:

23464566953_caecb85270_c.jpg

Lego UCS Venator

the cost is around 830/840 € including shipping, 7 Bricklink orders, 1 pick a brick

Just curious when you ordered your bricks? It looks like if I had made the same substitutions you did that my build would have come in around the same price (the dark red 1x10s are $8 right now!).

I'm still on the fence about the red bridge mod. Regardless, congratulations!

Just curious when you ordered your bricks? It looks like if I had made the same substitutions you did that my build would have come in around the same price (the dark red 1x10s are $8 right now!).

I'm still on the fence about the red bridge mod. Regardless, congratulations!

I ordered all the pieces in November and December

I meant the plate 1x10, not the brick (link)

However, I remembered that I used the plate 1x4 + 1x6, there are various ways to sostutire the brick, that yes, it is very expensive.

For a bit of morbid fun, I ran a cost comparison of parts from the past 6 months versus current using BrickStore. For those of you on the fence, this is pretty telling...

Past 6 month average: ~$1000 US

Current prices: ~$1190 US

This doesn't include any shipping, and no part substitutions.

For you BL vets, do prices tend to rise seasonally, as in go up around Christmas? Or do they just steadily rise as parts are retired and become more scarce?

Edited by phaelon

It should sit nicely on the main body and the central spine (the grey section, after the dark red area) should rest snugly against the bridge.

thank you, just was making sure

Started building my Venator about a week ago. Ordered the elements about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago with a lot of substitutions for the 1 x 16 and 1 x 14 Technic beams.

Have really enjoyed the build so far.