Sign in to follow this  
tophdawg

Viking prototypes

The whole horn thing seems to be poetic license. There were many mythological giants and viking helmets none of which appears to be horned. Vikings did however did use war horns as instruments and horn cups.

Here is more on Norse mythological characters if your interested.

Hmmm...I'm not getting Minotaur from that. If anything I'm getting a vibe like it's supposed to be some hulking humanoid beast like Grendel or somesuch.

Hmmm...I'm not getting Minotaur from that. If anything I'm getting a vibe like it's supposed to be some hulking humanoid beast like Grendel or somesuch.

If that was Grendel, shouldn't he've a bit smaller, more like Hagrid's size?

A minotaur has the body of a man and the head of a bull, like this...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1060675

that sure looks like a bull's head to me.

i guess they dropped it because minotaur did not exist in viking folklore.

Ahhhh... I thought you were referring to one of the pictures Sam linked. Yes, I can see how that resembles a minotaur...

I think the Viking sets they churned out were great, but I would've rather had Kraken and that giant/troll/grendel thingy than the lame Wyven and another dragon. *sad*...

...But that's where MOCing comes in. >:-)

If that was Grendel, should he've a bit smaller, more like Hagrid's size?

Indeed Grendel was always human sized or a bit larger, but maybe Lego took a little artistic license, or it was intended to be a giant troll, or a giant with horns... We just don't know.

Hungh...interesting...I always pictured Grendel as a sort of hulking man-beast around the size of the Incredible Hulk or something, but further Googling shows he may have been intended as simply a large warrior.

Learn something new every day deino.gif

Or perhaps it's Grendel's mother and she's just one beast of a woman! :-P

Could also be one of the numbers of various trolls and such in Norse mythology. I recall Frost Giants or Mountain Trolls being in there somewhere...

I for one am glad they eventually changed that Kraken and little boat to a small ship and a Wyvern...even is Wyvern dragons aren't particuarly Norse :P

I've just discovered they weren't called Krakens in Norse Mythology... The names used were hafgufa and lyngbakr... Guess where I found that information...

I've just discovered they weren't called Krakens in Norse Mythology...

Here is some more info on that... The word 'krake' is Norw. in origin. It means (a sickly beast or twisted.)

kraken is the noun form. It was probably a more common term.

Anyway, getting back to sets. I'm working on mocs of the giant and the kraken. I'll post them when I work out the kinks. I don't have all the parts to make exact replicas, but maybe I can even improve them more to my liking using my available inventory.

I've just discovered they weren't called Krakens in Norse Mythology...

Here is some info on that... The word 'krake' is Norw. in origin. It means (a sickly beast or twisted.)

kraken is the noun form. It was probably a more common term.

Anyway, getting back to sets. I'm working on mocs of the giant and the kraken. I'll post them when I work out the kinks. I don't have all the parts to make exact replicas, but maybe I can even improve them more to my liking using my available inventory.

Sweet! deino.gif

wow that kraken looks spectacular... wonderful job !!! id love to see it placed to a digital background... vs. some vikings of course !!! then i think it would deserve its own thread... it might get lost in here, and not recieve the attention it deserves.

on topic, i agree that the kraken should have been an offical released, however, im not too fond of the giant.

- BrickMiner

by the way ghoulrealm: great avatar and welcome to EB !!!