Reading these posts, the conclusion seems to be:

"Some people are spamming because they want a higher rank, so lets get rid of the ranking system."

I don't agree with this logic! I like the ranking system as it is today.

Keep the ranking system (and I can give lots of reasons for keeping it), but let us act much harder and faster against "spammers". It's very easy to detect a spammer: A user with less than 100 posts who is making lots of short posts. Just... ban!!!

At which point should I allow that the poor behavior of some people is giving influence to my

own actions, ideals and decisions?

I fully agree Asuka! We shouldn't change our nice community because of some bad kids. We should fight to keep it as it is!

Well, like I suggested. Make ranks based on lenght in the community and not on post counts. It's the best way to prevent spamming.

Well, like I suggested. Make ranks based on lenght in the community and not on post counts. It's the best way to prevent spamming.

Well, there are alot of members in here who joined a veeery long time ago and don't have a single post!

So my suggestion is, base it on the members behaviour! Something like they do with the Fellows....

Mr tiber

Well, there are alot of members in here who joined a veeery long time ago and don't have a single post!

Well, the members need to be active off course. Like visiting the forum at least a few times a week. But it's been a while since I worked with invisionboard software so I have no idea wether this is possible or not. I've always worked with Vbulletin. :)

So my suggestion is, base it on the members behaviour! Something like they do with the Fellows....

This would add a lot of work for the admins. As all promotions would have to be done manually.

I fully agree Asuka! We shouldn't change our nice community because of some bad kids. We should fight to keep it as it is!

Well.... to be honest:

This is the only forum I

This is one Really good community, Asuka.

Any way, my contrast is having problems, but this website is still a lot of fun!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

So, more ranks, quicker promotion. This is my personal preference.

Fair enough, but what do you do when you're out of ranks at 2000 posts? We have members who are way past that and a few who'll be there soon. Posting frequency is quite high and we don't want to maintain, I dunno, 100 different ranks (which?!) just to please members every 100 posts. We want members to stay around longer and high limits are supposed to be an incentive to continue contributing longterm.

No, no, no. Ranks get increasingly harder to reach, just like most belt systems in Martial Arts (see my previous post). So you might get three rank promotions in your first 100 posts, but there might not be a rank promotion between 1000 and 2000 posts. In the organistion for which I teach, you can typically get four belts in your first year of training, if you work hard enough. Then only two the next year, then yearly. I'm at the point of there being years between my grades.

I completely agree that ranks shouldn't be taken seriously and what's worth more - 100 pointless posts or 10 meaningly, productive ones. BUT ranks can ben fun and act as incentives, especially when privilages are attached.

BUT ranks can ben fun and act as incentives, especially when privilages are attached.

We're working on that...

(and make my reply add one point to my posts account... ;-) :-P )

:-)

A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.

Clive James

I was looking at the Castle 2007 topic, when I saw Brickster's post count. He's got 2338 posts.

tag_member_duke.gif

Unknown, hasn't been reached yet by regular members (2000+ posts)

Max. total upload file space: 150 KB

Max. number of stored PMs: 350

Shouldn't his title be Duke, instead of Fellow?

Just curious.

Shakar

EDIT: Nevermind. I see Fellow is another type of title, independent from the post count. Sorry.

I think it would've been good if the members that's under 18 got their own tag saying "TFOL" or "Under 18" or something (Not a picture replacing the rank pictures, but more like the Space Tag)

Thoughts? 8-|

I feel so guilty for being just 14.. :'-(

I think it would've been good if the members that's under 18 got their own tag saying "TFOL" or "Under 18" or something (Not a picture replacing the rank pictures, but more like the Space Tag)

Thoughts? 8-|

Good idea, I propose this picture :-D

1101925590jR11VY.jpg

Thoughts? 8-|

Does it make you feel better if I tell you I'm (only) 13?? :-D

It's no problem as long as you are mature enough and behave I guess...

Mr Tiber

i was just checking my profile when i saw ""promote" no information" underneath "Pirate rank" in a window to the right. What is that exactly?

i was just checking my profile when i saw ""promote" no information" underneath "Pirate rank" in a window to the right. What is that exactly?

I think that's a left-over from the original Pirate ranking system...

You could just remove the displaying of post counts. And instead of basing your ranks on postcounts, how about basing them on time in the community?

Someone who has been around for 2 years, but doesn't post a lot, should deserve more credit and respect then a newbie with an average postcount of 10/day, even though this newbie might have a 'higher' rank.

As a former forum admin myself I found that this really cuts back on spamming since people stop caring about raising their postcount.

What's wrong with 10 posts per day? That's not an impossible number to reach depending on your interest. I'll prolly make 10 posts in this section before moving to the next. Could be more depending on how many threads i find interresting.

What's wrong with 10 posts per day? That's not an impossible number to reach depending on your interest. I'll prolly make 10 posts in this section before moving to the next. Could be more depending on how many threads i find interresting.

There's nothing wrong with 10 posts a day at all. Just someone who makes two good posts a day is going to get more respect than someone who makes lots of useless posts, even if they have a higher rank.

That i understand, it's just that the post wasn't well thought out. It would have been better to say 10 more or less useless posts per day or it could be interpreted that newbies like myself aren't allowed to post many posts per day.

As for the topic i don't really understand either the stress over ranks. I hold the rank of admin over my own computer and there has been times when just handing it over to someone else to fix would have been nice. Still i made the decision years ago to learn enough about computers to be able to do most things myself. Besides if you spend all you time on the forum, when are you gonna find the time to build. *sweet*

When i reach citizen i'll know i've been an active member. Since there seem to be little technic according to some reference on a members hellopage, i'll be sure to make lots of posts about it. :-P For now i'm way to busy catching up on old threads to worry about my ranks, as long as they don't go below vassal that is. X-O

Besides if you spend all you time on the forum, when are you gonna find the time to build. *sweet*

Post all day, build all night, go to school in your 90s. ;-)

But i work at days, no school and i do need my sleep. Whenelse am i gonna dream of all the Lego i wanna own. :'-) When i'm awake it's more like making plans my wallet wont let me keep, but at night anything goes. *sweet*

I was just reading the topic about all the different ranks and usergroups, when I noticed something that was not explained in the article. Just out of curiousity, may I ask what the difference is between Fellows and Honorary Citizens? You'll have to forgive me if it has already been asked before, I didn't feel like reading all 14 pages of replies (lazy me). :-$

By the way, has anyone noticed just how many different kinds of Admins we have on EB? 8-

If im correct honorary citizens are ones that left the site. Ex admins, mods and sutch. ;-) :'-(

I miss hobbes...

I was just reading the topic about all the different ranks and usergroups, when I noticed something that was not explained in the article. Just out of curiousity, may I ask what the difference is between Fellows and Honorary Citizens? You'll have to forgive me if it has already been asked before, I didn't feel like reading all 14 pages of replies (lazy me). :-$

By the way, has anyone noticed just how many different kinds of Admins we have on EB? 8-

Edited by UniqueBuilder