Sign in to follow this  
legolooney

Restoration HELP NEEDED

I never had that problem and I have washed numerous bricks in hot water with added soap. In hot water they may expand a little but not that much. Of course, when they are taken out of the water to cool down, everything should be back to normal again.

Same here, I've never had any problems with this either. I would imagine that long exposure to hot temperatures would probably cause some damage, but a quick wash shouldn't deform the bricks. One of the old Lego catalogs I have says not to use water greater than 110 degrees Fahrenheit which is roughly 40 centigrade. That matches a figure listed earlier in this thread.

I've also found that ironing sails after washing them is a good way to dry them out so mildew doesn't form.

Good luck with rebuilding and cleaning the Clipper. :pir-blush:

Sadly enough mine clipper is not complete so i will look for and other one and will use the old one for a MOC.

So many things are already spoken about the do and don'ts.....

Maybe an other question.... What is the best way to keep your Lego dust free?

Maybe an other question.... What is the best way to keep your Lego dust free?

Do not put it out unused for too long. Lego will inevitably sooner or later catch dust. Best way to avoid dust is to build things, keep them built for a short period of time and put the bricks back in sealbags, boxes, etc. Of course, if you have built a huge MOC that is quite annoying since it will be hard to rebuild it when it is canibalized.

If you want things to remain built, I guess the best way to keep it dust free is to wash the dusty bricks once in a while or use a feather duster or tooth brush frequently to remove the first dust. Once things have been kept unattended too long, it is hard to remove the dust and other grime. Then you will probably need to take the set apart completely and wash the bricks in a tub with water or in a towel / washing machine.

I really think that it is just soap scum or something of the kind on the bricks. If you look at pictures of the bricks it seems to cover the crevises between the buttons which indicates that something got on it. I would try to clean the bricks several times before selling it at a low price. I do agree with you on getting another one instead of buying the pieces one by one. I would at least get a beat up one and then referbish it. Good luck on your project. :pir-classic:

I've used toothbrushes to remove dust for as long as I can remember. It's a time-consuming job, but hey, if you love LEGO, then it's not so bad.

I love to fumble around with LEGO bricks anyway, so I just see the cleaning of bricks as relaxing therapy.

All of my different sets are extremely clean, some are assembled right now, and many are stored in plastic bags, to be built later together with my daughter who loved to help me :)

I often brush ALL bricks every time I disassemble a set, so it's clean and ready to be built the next time I want to.

Gotta love shiny LEGO

If anyone is interested i'd be happy to sell the set at a very low price.

If you're in Australia I'd be pretty interested. Considering you signed up to this website on my birthday I reckon thats a sign that you'd be an honest bloke to deal with.

If you're in Australia I'd be pretty interested. Considering you signed up to this website on my birthday I reckon thats a sign that you'd be an honest bloke to deal with.

I live in the uk i'm afraid and someone else has already put in an offer!

Thanks for your interest however!

No worries. I can make do with 6.

The weathered one would look pretty cool though. Like you I've inherited a fair few collections from friends and family and it seems to have been a fairly common set over here. Most of mine are fairly clean but I like having faded and old chewed pieces to give a bit of character to the occasional MOC.

Have you got a picture of your one assembled?

No worries. I can make do with 6.

The weathered one would look pretty cool though. Like you I've inherited a fair few collections from friends and family and it seems to have been a fairly common set over here. Most of mine are fairly clean but I like having faded and old chewed pieces to give a bit of character to the occasional MOC.

Have you got a picture of your one assembled?

no, i'll upload one though, before i send it away!