Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

Treasure count

It's an idea that's been on my mind for some time... We've had topics like "How many cannons do you have?" or "How many rowboats..." etc.

I'm sure many of us have those gold coins that came in many Pirate sets. They have the value of 10, 20, 30 and 40. My idea is to gather all of one's coins and sum them up like real money, and then post the total sum here. It would be most welcome to add a picture of your coin collection to prove your word - they can be either lying loosely or being in chests, but in that case the chests should be open to let us see the contents. Of course there's no need to show the value of each end every coin on the picture, it's just for estimating purposes...

Let's see who the richest captain on this forum is...

I'll try to count my treasure and post a picture soon.

Questions and comments are always welcome!

Edited by Mister Phes

OH wow, I've neveer thought of doing this. I'll have to go home and dig up my old pirate sets.

Do the 1989 sets count :pir-classic:

All sets count, even non-pirate sets as long as they have the coins (I'm pretty sure they were present in a number of other themes too). A coin is a coin. As long as we're talking about the standard coins popularised by the Pirate line, not some $100 notes from Western theme and other Lego means of payment. :pir-classic:

I have to say no... such coins are unavailable as long as the box is sealed, so technically you can neither use them nor count them (of course, you KNOW how many coins are inside, or you can check that on Peeron or somewhere else, but still, they're sealed). Only coins you can pick up and count yourself, and take pictures of.

This should be fun - so we'll check with the inventory lists at peeron for each set we have (opened) and post the number here?

Or do we go trough all of our LEGO and count every coin we find?

What about diamonds?

Edited by Lorentzen

This should be fun - so we'll check with the inventory lists at peeron for each set we have (opened) and post the number here?

What about diamonds?

If we count diamonds and other gems, this could take me years! I may try to do the coins via Peeron, though.

Hmm, this is a good idea, I'll try to count mine but obiously I'm not the richest Captain Squirrel Squirrel Captain around :pir-tongue:pirate_buckteeth.gif

Edited by curtisrlee

just a quick question, does anybody here keep the centre bit that holds the coins? ... i kind of treat them like a pirate medallion (and their great chest stuffers :pir-tongue: )

just a quick question, does anybody here keep the centre bit that holds the coins? ... i kind of treat them like a pirate medallion (and their great chest stuffers :pir-tongue: )

When I was a kid, I'd always put them in the backpacks on my Imperial Soldiers. They fit perfectly!

Yes I keep those middles too. They are shiny! This idea is a crazy waste of time but totally brilliant at the same time. One day when I have nothing to do and no energy to build I am goin to do this. I have loads but not all together neatly at the moment!

No pics, mainly because I haven't gotten around to actually counting them yet, but I'm guessing I only own about 20 or so coins at the most. (Sad, but remember, during my semi-dark-age I gave away a massive amount of lego - I had much more beforehand, I recall D=)

However, if we could find a system to value the gems (Diamonds, rubies, sapphires, topaz, etc.) then I'm sure I'd be up there - I have a little bag I store all my gems in, and it's full and decently sized...and I'm still looking for more. =D

~Trexxen

I always keep those bits, I used them as gold bars on several occasions. :pir-classic:

What about diamonds?

Whatever you wish... However if you just check with peeron, you will not be able to take a picture of your treasure, you will only be able to sum it up and that's all. And a picture would be appreciated as it shows how big your treasure actually is. So the preferable way would be to physically find your coins, count them and then take a picture of them. If you have your Lego sorted (and I know many of us do), this shouldn't be such a big task...

Diamonds are a different thing entirely, of course you can count them if you wish, but we don't know the diamond to coin exchange rate. :pir_laugh2: This topic focuses on gold coins alone, but if you wish to add a note about your other goods, that's fine with me.

No pics, mainly because I haven't gotten around to actually counting them yet, but I'm guessing I only own about 20 or so coins at the most

It's not the number of coins that actually matters, it's their total value. So, for example if each of your 20 coins had the number 40 on it, your total treasure would be worth 800. And at the same time if I had 60 coins, but each of them with a value of 10, my treasure would be worth 600, so you'd still be richer than me despite having less coins.

Just about every set I know of that has coins has all 4 numbers, 10 20 30 40.....so it's pretty safe to assume for every 4 coins you have you would have 100 points. Just a thought.

Anyone made a Diamond worth? It'd be interesting as my little brother.. (whenever he wants to play with LEGO) Always says the Diamonds are a much higher amount then they should. :pir_laugh2: but that's just imagination! But with AFOL's it could be a bit more detailed then saying "MEH DIAMONDZ IZ WORTH ONE BILLION QUADRILLION DOLLARS! :D"... :pir-blush: I'd like this done either way. :pir-tongue:

On another note, I cannot count mine as I haven't a clue to where all mine is.. (Just a friendly tip.. Don't leave chrome things in bleach water... It takes the paint off and gives you a c****y piece of foggy clear plastic..) :pir_laugh2:

Just about every set I know of that has coins has all 4 numbers, 10 20 30 40.....so it's pretty safe to assume for every 4 coins you have you would have 100 points. Just a thought.

That is partially true. However, a lot of users, like me, also have a significant amount of used - or second-hand - Lego, bought not as sets but in various configurations, where the amount of coins can vary and be quite unpredictable. I'm 100% sure I don't have equal quantity of each type of coin, like I would if I had only bought new boxed sets, where, if there's one treasure chest in it, there's always two "10s", two "20s", two "30s" and two "40s" (if I remember correctly, there's two coin sets for every chest). That's why my theoretical example from previous post is valid.

Edited by Dreamweb

That is partially true. However, a lot of users, like me, also have a significant amount of used - or second-hand - Lego, bought not as sets but in various configurations, where the amount of coins can vary and be quite unpredictable. I'm 100% sure I don't have equal quantity of each type of coin, like I would if I had only bought new boxed sets, where, if there's one treasure chest in it, there's always two "10s", two "20s", two "30s" and two "40s" (if I remember correctly, there's two coin sets for every chest). That's why my theoretical example from previous post is valid.

Almost all my LEGO is second hand.. (sadly..) :pir-cry_sad: If I get sorting and stuff, I'll be sure to keep ALL the coins I found, and find this thread again! :pir-wink:

OH wow, I've neveer thought of doing this. I'll have to go home and dig up my old pirate sets.

You should have dug them out anyway...there almighty Pirates!

(if I remember correctly, there's two coin sets for every chest)

Not always.

I'll count my coins/jewels later.

Edited by Ratshot

You're right, not always. The 6241 Loot Island has only four coins, the rest are jewels. But if I remember correctly, in the times of original Pirates, when there weren't any jewels, it was sort of customary to add 8 coins to every chest if a set had one... (and you also had 2 of those golden middle pieces we've talked about).

Of course, there are also sets which have a chest and no coins at all.

Dr.Steve certainly isn't poor....

capt_cabin_001.jpg

His Captains Cabin Contest entry.

4276666643_a779523a29.jpg

I count 860 worth :pir-classic: ! Though, this is not 100% all of the gold I have. I also have the coin sprues and 1x2 gold plates with ball on top.

I'm so cheesed! I remember as a kid that my mom vacuumed up 70% of my coins. :pir_bawling:

I don't have much more then 600. D8

Dr.Steve certainly isn't poor....

capt_cabin_001.jpg

His Captains Cabin Contest entry.

:pir_laugh2: That is awesome!

What's going on with the Governor on the back? Is he a prisoner? A pinata? Or has he joined the party and is doing a keg stand?

As for me...I have just come out of the dark ages, so no coins yet...but soon!

@Dreamweb- Don't say treasure count. Say treasure measure! :pir-tongue:

For a a guy who's no pirate fan, I think I've got an extra substantial amount of treasure pieces. Scattered everywhere, but I estimate about this-

20-25 Treasure chests, all colors, including Harry Potter trans-pink, gray and gold.

30-50 Gold pieces. Hello!

20-40 Diamonds

Edited by Darth Legolas