Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Claudius Rome

Your worst fear...

My worst fears to what could happen to EB?

1) Hostile takeover by a terrorist group/organisation? :vader:

2) A discovery is made that the plastic used into LEGO bricks cause heavy cancers and reduces life stronger then sigarettes, TLG goes bankrupt? :skull:

3) An EMP wave destroys the server, deleting all files, including the back-ups? :cry_sad:

4) Jipay's wive stating that it has been enough! Choosing between her and EB is no longer an option, and he closes the forum. :grin: (like that would ever happen...)

That's all I can think of for the moment... none are very likely to happen!

I don't envy the mods their job. Immature posting is of course something that isn't useful, but on the other hand, some of the posters making such posts, *even* those who are genuinely *A*FOLs, are probably the younger up-and-coming Lego fans whom people do not want to discourage.

I'm a member of various forums in unrelated areas and I think Eurobricks has some of the better moderation amongst the ones I participate in. And I do think that despite ordinary posters filling any forum and as such being the main influence, the quality of moderation is essential for any forum to survive. I am not a member of the all-too-prevalent Internet cult who think that people magically will behave properly if left to their own devices! For all that people talk about "online" and "in real life", the Internet is not some alternate reality but is in fact part of real life, and the same rules are needed (in this case, the requirement to have organisation and authority, as anarchy is unworkable).

So in summary, my worst fear would be new mods slowly taking over who buy too much into the idea of "laissez-faire" moderation.

My worst fears are:

1. Star Wars will continue for years and take over the forum. :laugh:

2. Eurobricks may soon become a prison, Anything you say will be recorded and filed.

3. Eurobricks may deny Free Speech which would lead to my second point.

Although these are extreme fears and worries but theres a chance.

My worst fears are:

2. Eurobricks may soon become a prison, Anything you say will be recorded and filed.

3. Eurobricks may deny Free Speech which would lead to my second point.

Although these are extreme fears and worries but theres a chance.

I don't mean to ruin the mood here but there isn't free speech on a privetaly owned forum. Or at least if the site owner doesn't want it then there shouldnt be.

I moderate a huge forum and this arguemnet is always brought up and complained about, but the fact of the matter is one person pays for and maintains the forum, so what he says goes. This is not a democracy, it's an empire owned by an individual. (refering to the other forum, I can't speak for EB)

I don't mean that everything should be censored but if you say something, a mod disagree's and removes it. You have no right to compain because the forum is theirs and theirs alone.

Now most forums will let you exercise free speech to a point. (IE excluding things like swearing, racism, things of that nature)

I don't mean to ruin the mood here but there isn't free speech on a privetaly owned forum. Or at least if the site owner doesn't want it then there shouldnt be.

I moderate a huge forum and this arguemnet is always brought up and complained about, but the fact of the matter is one person pays for and maintains the forum, so what he says goes. This is not a democracy, it's an empire owned by an individual. (refering to the other forum, I can't speak for EB)

I don't mean that everything should be censored but if you say something, a mod disagree's and removes it. You have no right to compain because the forum is theirs and theirs alone.

Now most forums will let you exercise free speech to a point. (IE excluding things like swearing, racism, things of that nature)

I'd be willing to pay to be able to say anything with no trouble of being banned. Now thats not saying I have anything bad I want to say or shout about, I'm just saying, at the certain moments you should be allowed to have your own opinions and be able to say what you wish as long as it is not cursing. But theres always that lurking sense that your going to far.

Edited by Joey Lock

My fears are...

1.) Jipay dies and there is no one that can save Eurobricks from falling apart. (serious concern)

2.) The Lego Company collapses.

3.) We have another depression like the dirdy thirties' and no one can afford to run Eurobricks :cry_sad:

My fears are...

1.) Jipay dies and there is no one that can save Eurobricks from falling apart. (serious concern)

2.) The Lego Company collapses.

3.) We have another depression like the dirdy thirties' and no one can afford to run Eurobricks :cry_sad:

Your third fear is the most likely to become true. Well in the UK anyway...

From what I hear Obama has said he will heal the recession but over hear "Gordon Brown admits he failed to see economic crisis coming". And they have raised the VAT back to 17.5% after 2009 was a trial year for 15%. 2009 was the year of new cars, to get people buying again. I really don't think the idea was to raise prices further will make people spend more.

That's good to hear! We had a lot of trouble there a while back as we kept overloading the server! Several upgrades later we seem to have found one that works. :sweet:

That's when I lost interest in here, but when I saw everything nice and new, I started back up :classic: BTW, Ratshot, those are really serious concerns you've got gojng there. If you see some other posts, they're not as serious :look:

Edited by prateek

BTW, Ratshot, those are really serious concerns you've got gojng there. If you see some other posts, they're not as serious :look:

My first one is kind of dumb but the second and third ones are genuine.

My fears are the following:

1.Big Cam taking over the forums. :grin: (don't take that seriously)

2.TLG going bankrupt.

3.noobs spamming,and hacking the forums.(kind of like what happened to MOCpages a while back)

Thank you for you time. :vader:

1.Big Cam taking over the forums. :grin: (don't take that seriously)

That's what I was just going to write :oh3:

Haha.

I'm afraid of leaving my account signed in on a public pc, and someone else starts messing around on my account. Spamming/ensulting people because he/she thinks it's funny.

That would be horrible! :cry_sad:

TLC going bankrupt, that would be... a disaster at least. :cry_sad:

Now let's hope and pray those things will never happen. :classic:

Haha.

I'm afraid of leaving my account signed in on a public pc, and someone else starts messing around on my account. Spamming/ensulting people because he/she thinks it's funny.

TLC going bankrupt, that would be... a disaster at least. :cry_sad:

Now let's hope and pray those things will never happen. :classic:

Now Lego going bankrupt wouldn't be a bad thing for me. It will teach them not the charge £24.99 for a Droid Tri-Fighter when the original was £9.99...

Lego need a kick to realise. And yes, I know theres a recession but seriously?! £24 for a Land Speeder? If Lego did go bankrupt, they would obviously be saved by one of the Dragons from Dragons Den...The UK Lego sector at least. Lego is the most famous and used children's toy, that goes and the young minds and creation goes. No one will stand by and let them go forever. I just hope everyone stops buying for about a year and see them panic. The Star Wars theme is the most pretentious of them all, just because Star Wars is massive the think they can raise the prices and make Parents pay whatever to get their children to shut up! Just like the Great Star Wars Lego shortage in the UK at Christmas. :laugh:

OOH! Like an apocalyptic police state? Cooool....

In any case, I'm pretty sure there's been a topic like this before, because I distinctly remember saying that the nine year olds wouldn't be able to figure out what the 'L' in AFOL stands for and therefore wouldn't be able to create acounts, and people thought I was being serious :tongue:

If you type AFOL into google it comes up with Adult fan of Lego. They can infiltrate.

3) An EMP wave destroys the server, deleting all files, including the back-ups? :cry_sad:

That'd be horrible! :cry_sad:

4) Jipay's wive stating that it has been enough! Choosing between her and EB is no longer an option, and he closes the forum. :grin:

Or she just pulls out the Computer Cable... :tongue:

My worst fears are:

Oh no! You've leaked KimT's secret plan to the whole forum! :laugh::wink:

1.Big Cam taking over the forums.

True... :wink:

Or someone invents the infinite unprobability drive, and the server is turned into a whale... :laugh::wink:

That's acually something that I'm scared of as well. One time my sister deleted all the pics of my lego of the hard-drive, then when on EB and added like, 50 people to my friends list :sceptic: Really annoying.

That's acually something that I'm scared of as well. One time my sister deleted all the pics of my lego of the hard-drive, then when on EB and added like, 50 people to my friends list :sceptic: Really annoying.

That'd be a really hard thing to replace, espicially if your MOC is dissassambled. :look:

I don't understand why LEGO going bankrupt would kill EB. Sure, in the long run there wouldn't be new fans coming around, but I think most of the people on here have another good sixty to seventy years to live, so we could all hold on to our precious hobby until we're a band of old geazers yabbing about something nobody's even heard of anymore.

It's like Bionicle, that died, but the true fans will continue the glory.

My passing away. that would ruin the site forever :tongue: !

But I do believe LEGO going bankrupt would be serious. Sure, we'd keep it goiug, but slowly it would die out untill eventually it would become that dispicable thing no one talked about. I'd hate that- of course I probably wouldn't be alive to see or hear about it.

I don't understand why LEGO going bankrupt would kill EB. Sure, in the long run there wouldn't be new fans coming around, but I think most of the people on here have another good sixty to seventy years to live

By that stage, human technology will have progressed so we will be able to cybernetically incorporate LEGO into our living tissue. Some of us will choose Bionicle-type claw extensions, otherwise will use Technic frames in our legs to act as bone replacements, and others (like me) will walk around with a Cafe Corner permanently attached to my cranium as headwear.

The future is terrifying :look:

By that stage, human technology will have progressed so we will be able to cybernetically incorporate LEGO into our living tissue. Some of us will choose Bionicle-type claw extensions, otherwise will use Technic frames in our legs to act as bone replacements, and others (like me) will walk around with a Cafe Corner permanently attached to my cranium as headwear.

The future is terrifying :look:

:laugh: I'm up for having technic missiles installed in my wrists!