Dr Kilroy

What's your oldest set?

Mine? This gem from the good 'ol year of '93... though I'm pretty sure I've gotten older Duplo sets.

1596-1.jpg

My oldest set is a Samsonite (basic) set from 1966 that I received that Christmas (I was 6 at the time). Many of those parts have vanished over time but I still find them mixed in with my massive sorted stockpile. I received other basic sets/parts packs from time to time after that. The oldest specific set I know I have is the Payloader (410) and London Bus (760/384), from 1973. After that, having a paper route to fund my Lego habit and filmmaking hobby, I managed to acquire several sets a year from then on and never experienced a "dark age."

--Mr Bill

It's also my oldest LEGO set:

small_500_lego_klodser.jpg

Some years ago I was looking in some old LEGO retailer catalogs. And "#500 LEGO Klodser" was mentioned already in the 1945 catalog.

I do also have some other wooden LEGO toys. Some of it is older than 1945, but it’s very difficult to date wooden LEGO toys.

This wooden rabbit was mentioned in the 1937 LEGO retailer catalog. I guess that it’s my oldest LEGO toy:

rabbit.jpg

Very nice old wooden LEGO set and toy!!

The increase in value of old LEGO sets has been matched by a great increase in value of old LEGO toys, especially those that still carry a LEGO logo or sticker.

Here are the major LEGO logo's of the last 80 years... the upper left was the LOGO used on wooden toys from 1934-44, and the 2nd upper left is the 1944-53 wooden toy logo. From 1953-60 this same logo was produced for wooden toys with a "dogbone" going thru it (as seen in the 2 lower left logos).

The LEGO Klodser logo was rather unique with "LEGO" in block letters and "Klodser" in script.

A red wooden box very similar (but wiith a sliding lid) was used for the very first LEGO "Automatic Binding Bricks" sets the first year they came out in 1949.

These are just 9 of the 40 or so LEGO logos that were used by TLG, which are from a chapter on LEGO logos in my LEGO DVD/download.

Gary Istok

8416002312_50d4ba33e4_b.jpg

I may have older, but the the oldest one that I can think of off the top of my head is this:

6571 Flame Fighters

6571-1.jpg

My collection could be compared to the symbol " < " if it was placed on a timeline.

Starting with a handful from the '90's, more and more through the '00's, and then exploding in the '10s.

So yeah, I don't have any old sets, but they're old to me, and that's all that matters. :wink:

my oldest and first set is 6509 Red Devil Racer, from 1991

6509-1.jpg

Bart

My oldest set is a space buggy from the 1980's. It came with a blue spaceman and those thick round space wheels you dont see anymore.

This: the #6801 Moon Buggy!

6801-1.jpg

The first set I got (probably in 1986), which is funny as it was introduced in 1981; the same year I was born in.

I have individual bricks that are older (my dad had those, so that makes them early '60s), but no complete sets with instructions.

My oldest is 5590 Whirl and Wheel Super Truck. Still have box, instructions, and all pieces.  

Edited by Chmashdehjare

I think it was a generic box of classic bricks, but I am not entirely sure.  I have a few incomplete Classic Space sets, which I remember receiving as gifts after I owned classic stuff and maybe a LEGO city car or two.   

On 4/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, Pato Sentado said:

6363, and most of the pieces are still there...

zsGAhn.jpg

x44fwA.jpg

4i8KSf.jpg

sxuTHO.jpg

Once again I'm struck by how fun these older "simple" designs are. I'm sure a bit of the feeling is nostalgia, but that really does look like a fun set to sit down and play with. I like the newer 6 and 8 wide vehicles and everything, but this is a good reminder that simple can be fun too!

6363 is in fact not a Town set but a long lost Space set ... :pir-wub:

This may not be very old for most people in here, but the oldest set I own is 3625 Sandy Seagull's Airplane from 1985. 

3625-1.jpg?200012091200

My oldest set is the first set I got in my (then) young life - I turned three years old when my family got me 323, one year after it came out, as a birthday present:

1965_birthday.jpg

And here she is on a shelf in my room:

323.jpg 

I took the photographs for @1974, unaware of this thread.

Best
Thorsten

My very first set, got it at 4 years old in 1984:

fabu3672.jpg

And my first Technic set, got it at 9 years old in 1989:

8044-1.png

Ahhh, memories... ^^