Sign in to follow this  
Joey Lock

Ship building & Customisation

Hi,

Yesterday I received my re-release of the Black Seas Barracuda and assembled it in the evening,

but the anchor doesn't really work well for me.

I can only raise it, but when I want to lower it, the anchor stays in its position (or sometimes moves half a centimetre) and there's more and more string in the room between the winch and the anchor. Then I can take the anchor with my hand and lower it manually.

Because everywhere it says that the anchor works well and you can raise AND lower it, I thought that I maybe made a mistake with building the anchor-winch system.

So, are those problems just normal or did I make a mistake? If yes, I did a mistake, what do I have to keep in mind to set it up properly?

Greetings,

funkybrick

EDIT: problem solved... spent some time making new knots

Edited by funkybrick

Well I own the original from 1989 and my anchor works most of the time. The main issue is the rope or string they give you is very stiff, adn the anchor is only plastic so it doesn't weigh too much.

My guess is you are winding it up so far that the anchor or the knot attached to the anchor is getting stuck in the hole of bricks. Don't wind it up too far and it should wind down as well. Maybe exchange the rope/string they give you for some black thread. I did that and it works 100 times better, becasue at that point, the anchor becomes the heaviest piece and the thread is much more,....bendable, or plyable, (I'm not sure of the word I'm searching for)

I hope that helped.

No, it's definitely not the knot of the anchor getting stuck in the hole. Maybe it's something with the winch? Maybe the knot of the winch is too loose or whatever (but I've already tightened it). I've got no clue.

Wait... there's one thin string included and three stiff ones. Maybe the thin one was actually intended to be used with the anchor and the crane should be built with a stiff one?

No... don't think so.

Thanks for your reply anyway, Big Cam. :thumbup:

Mmh... :pir-hmpf_bad:

No, it's definitely not the knot of the anchor getting stuck in the hole. Maybe it's something with the winch? Maybe the knot of the winch is too loose or whatever (but I've already tightened it). I've got no clue.

Wait... there's one thin string included and three stiff ones. Maybe the thin one was actually intended to be used with the anchor and the crane should be built with a stiff one?

No... don't think so.

Thanks for your reply anyway, Big Cam. :thumbup:

Mmh... :pir-hmpf_bad:

Um, I actually do think so. My crane has the thick rope, the same rope used for the sails. I'd swap it and report back. I think you'll be happier.

If you had to choose your favorite wooden ship, less than 125 feet long (i'm rather short on pieces) what would it be?

I've been wanting to build a replica of a ship for a while, but I'm not sure what ship I should do? Any ideas?

:pir_yoda:

P.S. I was thinking of either doing the HMS Beagle or The Généreux

possibly even the HMS Sovereign of the Seas though that might be pushing it a bit... Here is a model of it. (very fancy)

Edited by the_green_avenger

Yes the beagle is a very nice idea! I'd love to see that ship with Darwin and Fitzroy as lego figures!

And if you finish it in 2020, it will be exactly 200 years after the launching of the real Beagle :pir-tongue:

Anyway, that one would be great.

Other nice ships could be the 'Belle Poule' (a nice frigate that brought Napoleon's dead body back to France), or maybe the Endeavour, the Boudeuse or a nice British ship (like HMS serapis).

Ofourse it just depends on what you like, you can also make a less-famous ship :pir-classic:

(like HMS serapis).

If I wanted to do a ship from the Battle of Flamborough Head, I'd do the Bonhomme Richard... (which gives me an idea! :pir_laugh2:)

edit: I just realised that it's 152 ft. which is too long for me... (looks like I'll probably be doing the Beagle)

I say go with the the HMS Sovereign of the Seas. You can also show it burning when it was brought down. :jollyroger:

Thats the ship I'd like to do, but ALL that detailing would take a while... Plus I'll need probably another 100 white, and 200 brown peices

The model is of the 1680 rebuild of the ship, which is 160 feet long, while the earlier versions are about 120 feet long. However, If I were to do the HMS Sovereign of the seas, I would probably do the 1680 version, and just buy the $30 worth of pieces off BL.

P.S. If you made your own ship, would you want it to be on fire, or in all its majesty?

id go for a benreaux replica its not such a big ship and still pretty detail and would look nice

If you meant The Genereux, it is about 184 feet (55 meters) long, Which is a bit too long for me... Which narrows it down to either the HMS Beagle, or the HMS Sovereign of the Seas

Good point.

P.S. If you made your own ship, would you want it to be on fire, or in all its majesty?

Realy is dependent what situation it is. If it's in a battle, on fire.If it's docked or for showing off, have it clean and watch it shine(using photoshop).

Edited by hawkrider

1. What is a sextant?

2. What is the figurehead on the HMS Beagle? There's been a lot of debate of whether it's a simple scroll, or a dog (likely a Beagle)

3. What is a dolphin striker?

4. Would you consider the futtock chain rigging? And if I did use all the chains and such, should I use the Lego chain or real chain? I wan't it to be realistic, but mainly lego, so I'm unsure...

edit: how might someone do belay pins in lego?

edit: edit: Do you guys out there think I shoul do all SEVEN dingys, or maybe just one or three?

edit:edit:edit: My model is to largly be based on THIS model. I also got a lot from THIS book. (those interested in building recreations should definately look into the series)

You might be interested in this really cool website that will be able to answer some of these questions NOW!!!!!! It is called GOOGLE ! :pir_laugh2:

However, because I'm far nicer than Izzy:

Sextant: A piece of equipment used for navigation.

076%20Sextant.jpg

Dolphin striker: A piece of wood perpendicular to the bowsprit to help it carry the tremendous tension of the masts behind it.

220px-Stad_Amsterdam_Galleonsfigur.jpg

Futtock rigging doesn't have to be chain, I'd make it rope.

And how big is this ship if you'll have room for belay pin detail?

However, because I'm far nicer than Izzy:

Futtock rigging doesn't have to be chain, I'd make it rope.

And how big is this ship if you'll have room for belay pin detail?

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I want it to be AS CLOSE as possible to the real thing as I can make it (the Futtock rigging on the ship is chain) But do you think it should be Lego, or real chain?

Also I'd like to know what the figurehead ought to be...

The ship is 86 studs from the tip of the forecastle to the tip of the poop deck, and 24 studs at it's widest bredth (The real ship is 90x24.5, I used a 1:40 scale)

edit: do you have any ideas on what might be used for all the blocks?

You might be interested in this really cool website that will be able to answer some of these questions NOW!!!!!! It is called GOOGLE ! :pir_laugh2:

Google dosn't tell me whether I should use lego or real chain...

2. What is the figurehead on the HMS Beagle? There's been a lot of debate of whether it's a simple scroll, or a dog (likely a Beagle)

I once read that the figurehead of a sister ship (So a ship with exactly the same design) of the HMS beagle was called 'HMS Kangaroo'.

The figurehead of this ship was a kangaroo, so is very likely that the beagle had a beagle dog as figurehead.

(more about this here)

how might someone do belay pins in lego?

I used this brick here but I believe I was the first one who used them, so I don't know what the others used for belay pins.

Do you guys out there think I shoul do all SEVEN dingys, or maybe just one or three?

If you are making it minifig scale, I think seven is possible, otherwise, I think 3 are enough because otherwise there isn't much place left on the ship.

What might also be useful to you, some people have made a virtual model of the Beagle, a movie with it can be found here (dutch spoken, but nice footage)

I once read that the figurehead of a sister ship (So a ship with exactly the same design) of the HMS beagle was called 'HMS Kangaroo'.

The figurehead of this ship was a kangaroo, so is very likely that the beagle had a beagle dog as figurehead.

(more about this here)

I used this brick here but I believe I was the first one who used them, so I don't know what the others used for belay pins.

If you are making it minifig scale, I think seven is possible, otherwise, I think 3 are enough because otherwise there isn't much place left on the ship.

What might also be useful to you, some people have made a virtual model of the Beagle, a movie with it can be found here (dutch spoken, but nice footage)

Thanks!

Looks like I'll be doing a beagle for the figurehead, might be a bit of a challenge... :imperialguard_commander1:

I also used those (sort of) as belay pins for the Rochester. Currently with the HMS Circumstance, I'm using the same piece as belay pins. (I ran out of the material I was using for the sails, so I've been set back a little on that project) Can't really think of anything better to use... but I haven't even touched a single lego piece in regerds to this project.

The sound in the video is english (hooray), but everything else on the site is rather confusing. A nice video, although I already had all the info in the video. You said something about a virtual model, which I couldn't find on the site with the video...

Thanks for changing the title too. Now its more suiting....