22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

INDEXED

Today I will be reviewing 3179 Repair Truck, since no one else has. On with the review! :tongue:

Due to my lack of good quality box-art shots, I will present a high-definition photo of the front of the box since mine was glared and was not focused right. There is no visual difference.

BOX FRONT

3997328284_40752b7b77_o-1.jpg

On the back of the box, we see all the various play feature of the truck. Excellent!

BOX BACK

IMG_1496.jpg

On the bottom right, LEGO his printed detail of the worker placing his trusty tools (plus spare light bulbs) in the cabinets on the side of his truck.

IMG_1503.jpg

The top right has the man changing the bulb of the streetlight, and a illustration showing how the bucket can be rotated 360 degrees.

IMG_1499.jpg

Sorry for the cut off picture, but here is the full 360-degree illustration:

IMG_1500.jpg

---

Onto the contents of the box....

Parts, removed from box:

IMG_1506.jpg

Just a DSS (Dreaded Sticker Sheet), oddly proportioned instruction manual, two plates, and two poly bags of the parts.

DSS:

IMG_1509.jpg

This is when my camera's macro lens finally started to actually work. Sadly, there is many stickers in this set. :angry:

Instructions:

IMG_1512.jpg

These are oddly proportioned compared to the size of the set. And no, I am not going to take a picture of the screaming preteen on the back. We have seen enough of him. :hmpf::grin:

Un-bagged plates:

IMG_1511.jpg

Nothing new here, but useful nevertheless. :wink:

Part poly bags:

IMG_1513.jpg

Just waiting to be opened.... :devil:

Un-bagged and organized parts:

IMG_1522.jpg

An excellent selection of basic bricks. I wouldn\'t buy this one as a part pack, though. Which brings us to...

NEW PARTS:

IMG_1528.jpg

A green trash can! Perfect for recycling. I don\'t know why or what this has to do with repairing lights, but it sure is excellent! :grin::wub:

Minifigure:

IMG_1529.jpg

On the flip side, the minifigure is terrible and uses all too common parts. No back printing either. :vader:

Random Instruction page (RIP):

IMG_1540.jpg

This page shows the completion of the tan plate with the recycling bin and street lamp post. I would have much preferred a green or bley plate but it is probably tan so it can match the construction sets.

---

THE BUILD

We begin with constructing the pole and base of the lamp post.

IMG_1532.jpg

We then add the lamp to the post and the recycling can:

IMG_1537.jpg

After that, we begin building the chassis of the truck...

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

Next, we add the front bumper and some other details... I\'ll let the pictures and images do the talking..

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

Dumb stickers, I can never get you on right :tongue:...

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

After that, we build the object that will hold the boom and allow it to turn 360 degrees:

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

More stickers....

IMG_1564.jpg

And a rear window! :sweet:

IMG_1567.jpg

Next, will build the roof-mounted lights....

IMG_1568.jpg

Fixed:

IMG_1572.jpg

Another Sticker....

IMG_1576.jpg

A tiny rack of tools, too:

IMG_1578.jpg

The cabinets of both tools and light bulbs are added... The light bulbs are 1x2 trans-yellow plates:

IMG_1586.jpg

and then they are covered by beautiful tiles, plus \"stay\" clear saw horses are installed:

IMG_1591.jpg

And FINALLY, the boom with the cherry-picker bucket is built!

IMG_1594.jpg

More stickers! :sick:

IMG_1597.jpg

It bends, but when in transit, it folds down:

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

Final Views of the set:

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606-1.jpg

Not much in the way of spare parts, though:

IMG_1604.jpg

Conclusion coming soon... enough... :tongue:

Edited by Legoliner Pilot

Thanks for the great review. I like this truck, and I'll definitely be picking it up. One of the best trends that seems to be showing up quite a bit this year - doors! However, I do have one complaint - I don't really like the boom. Most of the utility bucket trucks I've seen have a boom similar to the fire truck from the station that was just retired. I wish this set was more like that but smaller, with the swivel at the rear of the truck, and two equal length boom sections. This has the same number of joints, but the unequal length of the two sections of the boom just looks odd to me. I wonder if they really make booms like this in real life?

Answered my own question, because this looks like it might be the inspiration:

eurotel_c.jpgeurotel_a.jpg

It's a Versalift Eurotel.

Edited by meyerc13

Thanks 'Legoliner Pilot' for the review of one of my favorite sets of the year ! :wub::sweet::grin::laugh:

Hey what do you expect from an electronic technican eh? :grin:

True the minifig is a let down, why any thing to do with electricity and the guy or girl must look like a dork ! :grin:

The truck is great, but where does the screwdriver live, heck he would use the screwdriver more than a hammer, right ? :grin:

Now they have changed the street light again, can't they stick to one design for a few years and not change it ? :oh3:

Overall it looks good, I be buying more than one as I will convert a few in to other construction/repair vehicles for my town. :laugh:

Great review and you beat me to it :thumbup::grin:

They had all the 2010 sets today when I stopped by Target

The green trash can like you said is great! I think I like it better than the green crate from the Fire Station and Garage

I agree that the fig is awfully repetitive, can't LEGO make some new torso designs? Like he could an electric company shirt or something.

Maybe a different color or construction helmet would be good too.

One of the best sets to start the year of with!

$15 at Target here :wink:

Thanks for the review of this 2010 set!

To me this set is a step backwards from another street lighting repair vehicle, the 6671 utility lift.

6671-utilityrepairlift-00035.jpg

Reason being:-

1) STICKERS!!!! The original one had printed electric pieces

2) The usability of this set is limited to street lighting or fixing high objects. Typical lego residents cannot use the lifts unlike the old one.

Note: The review index has this set listed as "Car Repair". This is a result of a murky translation from this site that is incorrect. It also has other of these unclear translations for the other sets ("Piglets Enclosure with Tractor" instead of"Pig Farm with tractor, "Big City" Prefixes which are for Duplo sets only, "Runabouts" instead of the real set name "Small Car", and it is also missing several sets such as The helicopter and limousine and the LEGO truck.

Don't worry about the Review Index. Names of new sets will be updated as new reviews are posted. Names also vary in some countries.

Your review has been indexed and I've added a poll.

Thanks for the review LLP. It has a pretty good parts selection. The only downsides are - like you mentioned - the same old minifig yet again and the two hidden gray 'slopes' in the construction. Two 2 x 4 plates would have been much better! But I guess it has to do with either cost or the ease of building/taking apart for kids. But it reduces alternate building options significantly. Classic town sets used to have much better piece variety and therefore lend themselves better to alternate builds.

Very nice review Legoliner Pilot.

I still can't make up my mind whether I like this set or not and how much. I think that it's one of those sets that you start fully appreciate it once you have it in your hands.

The use of doors is a very good detail, so is the green trash can. I like the face that it's used in the minifig. I don't have much of this kind and it's an extra reason for me to buy it.

Who am I kidding? I'm gonna buy it nevertheless.... :wink:

Thanks for the review!

It would have been nice to have seen at least 2 of this printed tile

Printed Tile Link

on the rear bumper and then just a little number plate sticker rather than that long messy sticker :-(

Also would have been nice to have 2 drawers and 1 cupboard on the truck rather than 2 cupboards.

I also like the fact that they have used 3 of 2x2 slope bricks for the bonnet of the truck, in the past we have seen an annoying combination of a 2x4 and 2x2 to make a 6 wide bonnet which is annoying, especially when one of the bricks has a smooth slope and the other has a textured slope, I am sure this must annoy others, especially when building roofs, I guess when Lego replaced an injection mold, they cut the costs and made the 2 x 4 slope smooth rather than textured?

But still one of the nicest small town sets of the year, must get several to make a repair depot

Paul

Edited by paul_delahaye

Thanks for your review Legolinerpilot. I got my Repair truck two days ago and fell in love with it :tongue: ... This has to be, in my opinion, the best small size set of the city line for 2010. This brings me back to my youth (early 80's) where LEGO use to come up with plenty of civilans sets and this truck is just that... Well tought little truck that is a super addition to the city line. I will probably buy a few more.

Great review. I like this set, but I don't think it's better than sets from past years of the same price (e.g. Recycling Truck). :classic:

Thank you very much everybody! :sweet: Initially I though this review was terrible because most of the pictures are mis-focused and there wasn't a lot of content. But to no avail with that! :tongue:

Don't worry about the Review Index. Names of new sets will be updated as new reviews are posted. Names also vary in some countries.

Your review has been indexed and I've added a poll.

Thank you very much, TheBrickster! I was waiting for the review index to be updated, and now you did it! Thank you so much! :cry_happy::classic:

the green trash can is much cooler than the gray ones...good review! :thumbup:

Also now we can have one trash can for Garbage, and one for recycling. Great for houses or even in the back of the modular buildings!

I recieved this set for Christmass and love it! Very simple, yet lots of playability.

Thanks for the review.

I found the set for 9e and was tempted. It's an average set, which means it's good :classic: but nothing memorable.

I like the fact that it is designed asymmetrically, with the two opening compartments on the same side (the sidewalk side).

I like the crane mechanism, but is it sturdy enough? It looks quite flimsy.

The green trashcan is a great piece and very "retro" (I haven't seen them green for years), hopefully we'll see more in upcoming sets.

I am unsure whether 6 is the right width for this... could have been 4 and still make sense.

I don't mind the stickers: printed parts are nice... until the day they start fading away. Stickers are not so good-looking but at least you can always print more and replace the old. However, transparent-background stickers would be much better.

The only part which I don't like is the streetlamp. Great to have one, but the stem is really a bad flimsy piece. If it had been just a simple 1x8 plate it would have been better.

Thanks for the review.

I found the set for 9e and was tempted. It's an average set, which means it's good :classic: but nothing memorable.

I like the fact that it is designed asymmetrically, with the two opening compartments on the same side (the sidewalk side).

I like the crane mechanism, but is it sturdy enough? It looks quite flimsy.

The green trashcan is a great piece and very "retro" (I haven't seen them green for years), hopefully we'll see more in upcoming sets.

I am unsure whether 6 is the right width for this... could have been 4 and still make sense.

I don't mind the stickers: printed parts are nice... until the day they start fading away. Stickers are not so good-looking but at least you can always print more and replace the old. However, transparent-background stickers would be much better.

The only part which I don't like is the streetlamp. Great to have one, but the stem is really a bad flimsy piece. If it had been just a simple 1x8 plate it would have been better.

I don't play with my sets much (I put them in my city, set them up, and leave them in the layout for awhile), but the crane is very sturdy because it uses Technic to connect to the truck. :classic:

Yes, the new (and the old) lamp posts are very flimsy and will bend if you apply a light force. :sadnew:

Yes, the new (and the old) lamp posts are very flimsy and will bend if you apply a light force. :sadnew:

Heh, I'm still thinking about 7867 when talking about light posts. I am too old :tongue:

7867-1-1004650161.jpg

I was also skeptical about this set, but when placing a recent S@H order I couldn't resist the urge to add it to my cart. After putting it together, I'm glad I bought it. The art on the front of the box does not do the set justice. I would have photographed the truck from the passenger side (with the boom extended), highlighting the two compartments as well as the boom.

I think this set looks great, and can't wait to add it to the collection.

I would of liked more "drawers" or "opening compartments" on the driver side though. I think something needs to go in the empty space there.

Thanks for the review!