KimT

Clone Wars or ROTS?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

In the 2010 Rumor & Picture topic a lot of members have been discussing where to "put" sets like Swamp Speeder & ARC-170 Fighter.

TLG lists them as Clone Wars sets, but some members argue that they (the minifigs) having "regular" face prints aren't.

The lack of "animated" looks, makes them ROTS as in regular system LEGO Star Wars.

What's your thoughts on this?

Please keep the discussion clean.

Im not all that worried. All I am interested in is how good the whole set. Sure the dot eyes are traditional but I think that the CW styled faces do look like their character in the clone wars. I don't really mind what era they label and I dont think ithers should as well because a lot of people complained about the manga styled faces and now they have changed back to dot eyes some of you guys complain that they labelled it wrong.

Well i am pretty sure these are all clone wars sets! Seeing as we are only up episode 10 in a 22 ep run there is plenty more time to see the sets that are being made!

I am pretty sure i read somewhere (don't ask where :laugh: ) that this season would jump around the clone wars time line so sets with phase 2 clones should be self explanatory.

Im not all that worried. All I am interested in is how good the whole set. Sure the dot eyes are traditional but I think that the CW styled faces do look like their character in the clone wars. I don't really mind what era they label and I dont think ithers should as well because a lot of people complained about the manga styled faces and now they have changed back to dot eyes some of you guys complain that they labelled it wrong.

I agree with Roncanator. :thumbup:

It doesn't really matter what title their under, we aren't buying the set thinking "Oh great! This is ROTS, now I can buy it", Where buying it for the Lego inside. :wink:

CommanderFox

I agree with Roncanator. :thumbup:

It doesn't really matter what title their under, we aren't buying the set thinking "Oh great! This is ROTS, now I can buy it", Where buying it for the Lego inside. :wink:

CommanderFox

I agree with this for the most part. I never bought the CW sets. Not because they were CW, but because I thought the figs in those sets were horrid. But if Lego starts producing CW sets (such as the ARC 170, Swamp Speeder etc) where the figs look fine, then I plan on buying them. For me it's a non issue, but I won't go so far as to say it doesn't matter completely, just for the sole fact that it keeps getting brought up. If people keep bringing up the topic, then obviously to a lot of people it is important. I think creating a separate thread for this was very wise and who knows, maybe this one will end up getting pinned eventually, too!

Does it really matter whether a set is ROTS or CW? Sure, some people don't like animated faces on minifigs, but that doesn't really affect the set in any way. At first, I didn't like the eyes but now I don't mind them at all, I happily mix them with dot-eyd figs.

Well i am pretty sure these are all clone wars sets! Seeing as we are only up episode 10 in a 22 ep run there is plenty more time to see the sets that are being made!

Lucas said that CW series will have around 100 ep. so with 32 episodes till now we are not the half way yet...

Honestly, I don't think even TLC really care in which category they put their sets... Nowadays, it seems to me that anything that isn't an anniversary set goes straight in the Clone Wars category (heck, even the midi scale millenium falcon is in it!).

So no, to me it matters absolutely not. as long as the set is great, I get it. Although I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of those funky anime eyes, which tends to reduce my list of great sets...

So I suppose it's only the designers themselves who really consider if it's a set from the serie or from the film, which then gets them to choose between normal or anime face (like the ARC 170... Why would they give them anime faces since it's only appeared in Ep III so far)

Much prefer the clone wars faces - ordinary faces are usually really bland

anakin's face print is a mess but I think people have forgotten that's just one minifig out of many

I really couldn't care less how Lego classifies the set - once it's been opened and built, who was to ever know what the box art said anyway - not keeping boxes on display!!

I consider them RotS sets, but I don't really mind. I bought the ARC-170 and use CW pilot figs in them for consistency in my collection. The only other RotS sets I have are the AT-AP and V-wing. I've replaced their clones with my clone wars clones too. I wouldn't want my display to have a mixture of CW clones and RotS clones. All in all, if the vehicle is nice I will buy it without worrying about where it should be classified.

We don't know that animated faces means CW indefinetaly. Maybe TLG tried it out and isn't sure about them so they are mixing it up.

Either way, who cares, this is a ridiculous debate, it's a sweet set in LEGO that we've wanted for a while, can't we leave it at that?

Personally, I consider them both. ROTS was set at the end of the clone wars. :tongue:

Although it'd be lovely if all clones could have the same face...

Either way, who cares, this is a ridiculous debate, it's a sweet set in LEGO that we've wanted for a while, can't we leave it at that?

I wouldn't go that far.

And be careful not to offend other members with such a statement that their discussion is ridiculous :tongue:

For a lot of members the difference between Clone Wars and regular Star Wars is very important.

Some collect both, some refuse to collect Clone Wars and so forth.

Personally I've got no problem with Clone Wars.

I'd never include them in a Star Wars MOC though, as I find the heads a little too different from the regular system prints.

But then again I've already got the figs as regular system Star Wars figs, so I wouldn't need to.

And the Viceroy and other 'special' characters from CW really look like system, so they'd fit in nicely, the clones wear helmets and so on.

Where those sets are from doesn`t really matter to me.

For me it is like some people have said before: If I like the set, I get it, Clone Wars or not.

If these sets appear in the series at some point (e.g. Kit Fisto flying an ARC-170 or Barris fighting alongside Phase II troopers with Swampspeeders), we can safely consider them Clone Wars, but so far, we don`t know really. As the release dates of CW sets so far often haven´t matched appearances in the series, it is likely we see these at some point.

However they might also remain in a similar state to the Droid Gunship and Republic Fighter Tank which were among the first wave of CW sets but have not appeared (or at least not yet).

Lucas said that CW series will have around 100 ep. so with 32 episodes till now we are not the half way yet...

I know that, but i was on about this season as that is what most of Januarys and the summer sets will be based on!

I personally don't mind either way, I quite like the Clone Wars sets, a lot of the CW faces give the minifigs a lot of personality and are very cute. But some of them definitely go too far, the Anakin is a little too creepy and the eyes are often too big. But I'm fine either way, I could care less if it's a CW set or a perquel set or whatever.

I just got my Barriss Offee and she looks great beside Ahsoka and the other CW minifigs.

Previously I've only bought Clone Wars stuff when I've run out of 'Classic' sets to buy, but some of the 2009 sets (thinking mainly of the Attack Shuttle) are great sets in their own right.

This year Lego look like they're aiming to capture the centre ground, with figures & sets that will fit in either category, which is great news for all of us. The use of dot eyes on the ARC pilots, and the PT-style Clone helmet in the Swamp Speeder are examples. Bad news if you like consistency, though!

Edited by Rufus

This year Lego look like they're aiming to capture the centre ground, with figures & sets that will fit in either category, which is great news for all of us. The use of dot eyes on the ARC pilots, and the PT-style Clone helmet in the Swamp Speeder are examples. Bad news if you like consistency, though!

Yes, very bad news. I love consistency, which is why I hate mixing pupil dot eyes and anime eyes and fleshies an yellows.

If only they hadn't animated the clone wars film and tv show, but made them with real actors instead, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Yeah, I do like that they seem to be going for some more in-between sets this year. Plo Koon's and Greivous' starfighters, despite being from the CW line, could easily be from either, the inclusion of Nahdar Vebb with Greivous is the only thing that point to it being a CW set.

They are both. There's an obvious difference between the ARC minifigs and the Freeco Bike. But it's really odd, some sets have normal minifigs like the ARC and the Swamp Speeder, but the A-5 Juggernaut coming out this year is more than definitely CW.

Thanks for creating this thread, KimT. Hopefully there wont be any more of these silly discussions in the rumor thread.

Personally, I don't give a smurf. It's the vehicles that count for me, not the minifigs. ARC, Tri-fighter, and swamp speeder are all vehicles that were used during the clone wars, so that's what they are for me - Clone Wars sets. Besides, the Arc and Tri-fighter were featured in the old Clone Wars cartoon. But in general, I guess you could say they are kinda both, as Darth Legolas said. I can definitely see TLC trying to meet AFOL demand by including non-CW faced minifigs in the sets, but categorizing them as CW so that the kids will still buy them.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Where those sets are from doesn`t really matter to me.

For me it is like some people have said before: If I like the set, I get it, Clone Wars or not.

If these sets appear in the series at some point (e.g. Kit Fisto flying an ARC-170 or Barris fighting alongside Phase II troopers with Swampspeeders), we can safely consider them Clone Wars, but so far, we don`t know really. As the release dates of CW sets so far often haven´t matched appearances in the series, it is likely we see these at some point.

However they might also remain in a similar state to the Droid Gunship and Republic Fighter Tank which were among the first wave of CW sets but have not appeared (or at least not yet).

Where you from? Here in the States, RFT was Target and DG Walmart exclusives in '08.

----------------

Now playing: Basil Poledouris - Kaboom!!!

via FoxyTunes

Sorry to revive a topic thats been gone this long, but rather thatn creating a whole new topic I wanted to put it here instead. What do people think about the battle of geonosis, and the battle of Naboo being listed in the classic section? The paragraph above that section reads:

"Recreate the adventures that launched Star Wars™ into the stratosphere. With LEGO® Star Wars Classic, you can build intricately detailed fighters, enter the heart of the Death Star™, do battle with Darth Vader™ and more. Whether you’re an avid collector of classic Star Wars toys or you’re just getting started, our authentic buildable models and Star Wars minifigure action figures will bring the stories of Princess Leia™, Han Solo™ and Luke Skywalker™ to life."

So what do you think OT fans? CW fans? is CW invading your OT only section? or are you Ok with it?

Personally, I don't care if something is called "ROTS" or "CW" for me, they are pretty much the same. And I am not a HUGE fan of OT stuff, but some of it is cool, I don't mind OT, and CW sets coming out together, especially if it means more Astromechs!