Legostein

How to crop, sharpen and resize images online

Hello dear people!

Recently I read about a MAC user who didn't have the possibility to resize his images by the easy methods available for Windows users. I thought of how to manage this, and searched a bit on the internet for so-called online image resizers. Of course there are also special programs for each operation systems (OS). But a free online tool has the advantage of being independent of the OS. There are vast amounts of such programs available. Out of these I picked a more popular one with some special features and would like to give a short guide on how to use this online tool. :classic:

The web adress of the free online tool is: http://www.picresize.com

Before we start, here's some data and results:

Image to be optimized:

- file name: IMG_9233.jpg (typical name given by cameras)

- file size: approx. 1 MB (1000 kB)

- image dimensions: 2592x1944 pixels

Optimzed image:

- file name: rsz_img_9233.jpg (name given to optimized file by the tool)

- file size: approx. 60 kB (0.06 MB)

- image dimensions: 640x442 pixels

Now let's start.

1. Open the tool

We open the web browser and enter http://www.picresize.com in the adress bar.

2. Choose your image file

We come to the following screen and press "Browse" (red oval) to choose the file we wish to optimize.

picresize-1.jpg

3. Update your image file

We see the file name and directory of the chose file in the "Select Picture" field. Then we press "Continue".

picresize-2.jpg

4. Be patient :wink:

The horizontal blue/white spiral bar indicates we have to wait a few moments until our image has uploaded into the online tool.

picresize-3.jpg

5. Crop your image

The image is now uploaded and ready to be optimized. You see its thumbnail in the upper right corner. You notice that there is a lot of free space around the actual objects. With this tool you can also get rid of unnecessary free space surrounding your models. This is called "cropping". Following the instructions on the left side you can draw a dotted rectangle around your models (see thumbnail image). Then press "Crop Selection" to remove the unused space around your selection.

picresize-4.jpg

6. Choose the dimensions of your image

You will see that the thumbnail in the upper right corner has changed after successfully cropping your image. It now shows your selection. Now it's time to set the dimensions of the image (width and height in pixels). It's best to choose "Custom Size" and enter the desired width (640 pixels in width is usually enough). Be sure that you choose "Pixels" and not "Percent"! It is not necessary to enter a value for the height. The width/height ratio of your selection will be maintained.

picresize-5.jpg

7. Sharpen your image (optional) and confirm "Resize"

a) If your light source was not sufficent or if you had shaky handswhile you took the picture, it might be a bit blurry. Here you have the possibility to mark the box "Sharpen". Usually you'll simply take another picture that is not blurry and does not need further sharpening. In this case you just check the box "None".

b) Now scroll down a bit and seletc "JPG" as desired file type. Then click the field "Resize Pic".

picresize-6.jpg

8. Safe your image

You can now safe your image. Therefore press "Save to Disk".

picresize-7.jpg

A new window opens and you can choose the direction to safe your image. Press "Safe".

picresize-8.jpg

9. You're done!

You cropped it, (sharpened it), resized it, and reduced its file size. Well done!

rsz_img_9233.jpg

That's it! There's even a quicker way in case you don't need to crop your image first. I will add this in a moment. For now let me quickly safe the written words above. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

Hello again!

Now here's the shortcut in case you used the zoom function of your camera to only take on the picture what you want. :classic:

Again, before we start, the stats:

Image to be optimized:

- file name: IMG_9238.jpg (typical name given by cameras)

- file size: approx. 1 MB (1000 kB)

- image dimensions: 2592x1944 pixels

Optimzed image:

- file name: rsz_img_9238.jpg (name given to optimized file by the tool)

- file size: approx. 60 kB (0.06 MB)

- image dimensions: 640x480 pixels

Now let's start once more.

1. Open the tool

We open the web browser and enter http://www.picresize.com in the adress bar.

2. Choose your image file

We come to the following screen and press "Browse" (red oval) to choose the file we wish to optimize.

picresize-1.jpg

3. Use the shortcut.

We again see the path and file name of our image in the field. However, this time we don't press "Continue" but instead click on the little "+" for "Quick Resize".

picresize-2q.jpg

4. Enter your specifications

Once you clicked the "+" the window expands to let you enter your desired image specifications. Choose again "Custom Size" and enter the values for "Width" and "Height". Again, a value for the height is not needed as the width/height ration will remain the same. If you need to sharpen the image you just activate the related checkbox, otherwise just select "None" for the category "Special Effect". Select "JPG" as image type and press "Resize Pic".

picresize-3q.jpg

5. Be patient (again) :wink:

Please take some moments to let the tool upload your file and perform the operations you chose. The dizzy-making loading bar tells you it's in progress.

picresize-4q.jpg

6. Safe your image

You can now safe your image. Therefore press "Save to Disk".

picresize-5q.jpg

A new window opens again and you can choose the direction to safe your image. Press "Safe".

picresize-6q.jpg

7. You're done once more!

You did an image optimization in one simple operation. Well done!

rsz_img_9238.jpg

Now I am done with my quick guide. Of course there are many more of these free online tools. They all work in a similar way, however. :classic:

I hope this is of some help.

All the best,

yours Christopher.

Edited by Legostein

Thanks for the great tutorial! :sweet: I'll move this to LEGO General Discussion and News and add it to the tutorial index.

Thanks! Now I have a good (and free) site to crop images. :sweet:

Edited by JCC1004

No offence but I know an even easier way that can be used whenever and wherever. Here:

Ok start by finding your pictures in the finder window and select the ones you want to use like in the picture below. Make sure to open them in Preview.

yes.jpg

1.At the right hand side there is a picture menu and then select all that you want to resize again.

2.Select tools in the top toolbar.

3.Select adjust size.

4.Choose a good size from the dropdown menu or enter your own.

5.Press the OK button when done.

6.Click the red exit button.

7.Select save all from the dropdown menu.

8. Your done and you can enjoy.

Once you know what to do you can resize hundreds of pics in under 30 seconds.(Well I can)

Oh and many people think preview is a simple viewing program for the mac but it can do more than you think.

Edited by Eskallon

Thanks Legostein for this very helpful tutorial, I'll keep it in mind if Reviewers Academy students need a free tool.

:thumbup:

Heya,

no, no problem, no offense taken. :wink: There are many more programs I don't know at all. It's good we know what "preview" can do as many people only know it as pdf previewer such as Adobe Reader.

The reason why I talked about MAC users was simply that I looked for some free tool independent from the OS. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

I honestly love this tutorial, I just used this again and I'm bumping it just to make sure evryone sees it. It's so helpful when your not at your home computer and don't have access to something like photoshop, because no one likes to resize in paint.

Thank you!!!

Great tutorial, I never knew about that site, wish I had. Right now I use IrfanView, but I'd like to test this site out.

thank you for sharing, i know it is hard to find the best out of so many image programme. especially have so many features and fuction. i prefer small tool not so complex like photoshop.

so here is one simple and powerful image library .net i have been usiing.hope it is useful to you.

Edited by facesad

I don't think you're likely to get a reply from facesad.... he posted his one and old comment back in Sept. 2013... and since his post count is still at ONE.... he hasn't posted another comment on Eurobricks in 6 months.... :sceptic:

Seems like it was spam for a website. Just my opinion. Just Google "free online picture editing".

Or you could use Bricksafe.com or Flickr.com to put your picture and then view them in different sizes.

Edited by weavil

Seems like it was spam for a website. Just my opinion. Just Google "free online picture editing".

Or you could use Bricksafe.com or Flickr.com to put your picture and then view them in different sizes.

Or if you have Microsoft Office (necessary if you want to use MS Word)... Office Manager has most of these features as just dropdown toolbars.