MrTools

Emerald Night Extra cars

Hi,

just a question, what is ENLIGHTEN?

Do they produce trains (compatibel to LEGO and 9v)?

Where to buy?

Thomas

Hi,

just a question, what is ENLIGHTEN?

Do they produce trains (compatibel to LEGO and 9v)?

Where to buy?

Thomas

If you use Search or Google you´ll will find that it´s a clone brand. Here´s some info from Brickwiki.

Are those Enlighten trains any good? I remember seeing them on eBay a while ago and was reluctant about buying one.

I bought two of these coaches myself. The quality of the bricks is not bad, but it just isn't Lego. The parts are virtually identical in design (with some surprising useful new designs: a 2x4 tile and two 2x2 plates with studs on both sides). The trainwheels have more friction than Lego's. Baseplate, buffers, turning plates are all rather good. The dark green pieces have a golden shine in them. The grey/silver roof pieces have no consistent color (but they are not bad looking).

The design of the coaches is very poor. They are too high: 7 brick rows. Part of the roof and 1 side hinges upwards, but the hinges always come apart or break free from the roof.

There is no sticker sheet. All decorated bricks are printed, but printing quality is not that great.

Conclusion: I wouldn't recommend these coaches to any Lego fan. I redesigned 1 coach, strengthening it by using parts from the second one (I couldn't get myself to use real Lego pieces for this), and my son uses it on his railway. But even he sees that this is 'no real Lego'.

For what's it's worth, I too would love to be able to buy 2 or 3 more coaches for my Emerald Night, but I accept that LEGO can only make so many sets each year and that extra coaches unfortunately didn't make the cut.

I was however interested to read that at least one person on this discussion thread has bought the pieces from bricklink to build what I assume are identical extra coaches themselves. While prices obviously vary depending on which Bricklink store you buy from, I'd be fascinated to know how much the the parts for the extra coach cost.

Any estimates ?

Dr. D.

anyone considered doing a color mod of the My Own Train Hopper (10017) to fit in with the Emerald Night coach?

There's really only a handful of pieces you need to turn brown from the original blue. You could throw in some more brown accents to give it the tan/brown theme.

I was going to give this a go, just wondering if anyone has tried it yet

I realize there's a difference in that one is cargo versus the other being passenger, but it still has a good looking color scheme :)

For what's it's worth, I too would love to be able to buy 2 or 3 more coaches for my Emerald Night, but I accept that LEGO can only make so many sets each year and that extra coaches unfortunately didn't make the cut.

I was however interested to read that at least one person on this discussion thread has bought the pieces from bricklink to build what I assume are identical extra coaches themselves. While prices obviously vary depending on which Bricklink store you buy from, I'd be fascinated to know how much the the parts for the extra coach cost.

Any estimates ?

Dr. D.

My guess is minimum 40$, so it might still be more convenient to try eBay to get the whole wagon at once.

Hi,

I still remember times, when my parents bought "extra train cars" for me - one by one! - (birthday, xmas, ...).

I can't really understand, why this is such a great problem for the lego group (even maerklin and so on manage it)!

I don't want this, but I think some "chinese vendors" will solve the problem in the near future!

Playing with trains ist always a hobby, where people (enthusiasts) want to expand their collection!

I think, it is very seldom, that someone starts with a complete set, it is however buying "and enyoing" new pieces - one by one over years!

So I hope, that Lego will release again single trains and single cars.

Greetings

Thomas

Any estimates ?

Dr. D.

i built two extra coaches at almost $60 per coach. that was using bricklink.

anyone considered doing a color mod of the My Own Train Hopper (10017) to fit in with the Emerald Night coach?

There's really only a handful of pieces you need to turn brown from the original blue. You could throw in some more brown accents to give it the tan/brown theme.

I was going to give this a go, just wondering if anyone has tried it yet

I realize there's a difference in that one is cargo versus the other being passenger, but it still has a good looking color scheme :)

Check out our dear Holodoc´s versions here :sweet: !

Now that's what I'm talking about, j3tang! :thumbup: I found some extra coach cars on eBay complete for 20$ a piece would you say its worth it?

Now that's what I'm talking about, j3tang! :thumbup: I found some extra coach cars on eBay complete for 20$ a piece would you say its worth it?

That's too cheap to be true. If they're on "Buy it now" then go for it, but if it's an auction I doubt it'll stay that cheap for long.

God yes ! At around $60 a coach via Bricklink (not to mention the hassle of probably needing to order parts from multiple sellers) it'd be a steal.

Dr. D.

I've just listed my carriage on eBay if anyone is looking for an extra one. (UK based)

Ha ! I've been tracking that auction !

Already up to £50, even without minifigs.... I can see an opportunity for potential entrepreneurs here !

Dr. D.

I´m not bitter, sorry if I come out that way. But this was proposed almost the day after the launch. It has been discussed on EB + all other open communtys, it has been brought to TLG through Afol´s both verbally & written, by the Ambassadors in the Ambassadors forum & at events & at meetings with TLG employees both verbally & written - and it has been explained by TLG why it´s not going to happen (but of course - one should never give up :laugh:). That written, my focus is more on not to keep crying over lost milk than taking some positive action. What do I mean by that then? Well here´s some examples on what can be done:

• Design an alternative model like the 10022/10025 and send it to TLG
  • Start a petition all over the communitys and bring the numbers to TLG
  • Contact a LUG/sign onto a LUG and try to benefit from the LUGBULK program to get the pieces

Will those two first do it? Don´t think so but ......

If I were into trains and wanted more carriages I would get the pieces and build me some. Lego is as you all know a system of parts that you yourself could build into what you want. Well, you have the instructions & the possibility to get the pieces - what´s the problem? I don´t think concentrateting on the "bad side" of the launch of an excellent set out of the blue, by saying basicly that TLG is stupid because they don´t do another carriage set, is the best approach. Instead we should design new stuff/put in ideas for things NOT being built/pieces NOT being made, to be able to build new stuff. This is more like a set being sold out and we, the Afol´s kicking TLG for not making one more copy so I could have bought it :wink:!

But of course you and everybody else are entitled to your opinions, it just felt to me that´s this issue been there, done that :wink:.

I realize this is an old argument and don't mean to beat a dead horse, but you have to admit TLG really teased buyers of this set by including so many extra stickers, obviously intended for extra carriages! What was the point of including sets of 1-9 & first, second, third class stickers?? My son has never forgotten those useless stickers, and asks me about them almost every time he fires up the train. I get it, spend 40-60 bucks and a lot of bricklinking to make your own MOC's is an option, but i'm afraid that's a tad frustrating to say the least, especially since you can't even get all the specific parts on lego.com, so i would have to fiddle around with multiple sellers and shipping fees just to make one more car. So disappointing :(

I had made explanations for this extra car issue but I guess it wasn't posted in this topic or some people didn't get it. First of all we have to understand that Train theme is not a good seller. AFOLs are pretty much the only target group and only a percentage of them are interested in trains. So demand is quite limited, therefore we can't expect much from a profit making company. There are some train sets in the City/Town line such as passenger and cargo trains but they don't appeal to us a lot, they are aimed at kids. Santa Fe etc.. are special sets aimed at us AFOLs and they don't sell well. As you all know, exclusive series have a limited range. Recently we had the Medieval Market Place, Emerald Night, Fire Brigade, Imperial Flagship, Death Star etc.. Since these exclusives aren't major sellers, there is a "limited production slot" for them. If they had made an extra car for Emerald Night, they would have to drop another set from the exclusive line. Can you imagine not having one of these sets just for the sake of one train car which doesn't sell at all? If you ask the AFOL community, they would rather have these sets than an Emerald Night car. Train fans are a minority in AFOLs and AFOLs themselves are a minority in TLG sales.

TLG tried to come up with train cars several times in the past and as we all know they always failed to sell. You are expecting too much. If you need an extra car, you will have to buy a whole Emerald Night and sell the engine. I'm sorry but that is the case. If there isn't enough demand, there won't be any supply for it. That's how things work.

The best thing lego could have done is simply adding an extra car to the existing set and making it a bit more expensive ;).

Bricklink - Pinball Surplus

Expensive, yes, but worth it all the same. Saves you the hassle of selling your excess parts.

Thanks for advertising your (closed) Bricklink shop. Did you have anything to add to the discussion?

Forgive me, I was not out to advertise, but rather continue the discussion.

I don't own the store, I have no affiliation to the store or its owner in any way. Any similarity in my name is coincidence only. However I did buy 3 of said carriages from that store. They're $60 USD each, which is expensive, but living in Australia, it was ~40% of the purchase price here. Seeing people searching for these items, I thought it would be helpful to inform them that they are available, and at less than £50.

This store has them too: Bricklink - Louis' Land of Loot

I too, was irritated that it only came with one car, its such a large locomotive, it looks out of proportion to the load that is supplied. I understand that TLG needs to keep its costs down and not overcomplicate its catalogue, but I wanted something nice to sit on the shelf.

The theory is that some of the parts for the car can only be sourced from that one set, namely the tan windows. The roof is also hard to aquire, so the most straightforward way to get more is to buy them as the whole carriage.