Back in 2007 I built an Octan truck. I was never really satisfied with it, and the solution seems to be to build scale models instead of my own design when it comes to cab over trucks.

Here is the replacement: A Renault Magnum. It has an XL motor for the drive and an M-motor for the steering. When the steering blocks, the coupling changes between locked, where you can latch a trailer onto it and unlocked, which releases the trailer.

2fly.jpg

11front.jpg_thumb.jpg 2front.jpg_thumb.jpg 2rear.jpg_thumb.jpg 2right.jpg_thumb.jpg

I have tried to recreate as many details as possible in this scale (1:25) while maintaining the functionality with a working differential and the dual functionality of the M-motor.

2side.jpg_thumb.jpg 2door.jpg_thumb.jpg 2under.jpg_thumb.jpg 2windscreen.jpg_thumb.jpg

The interior is quite simple with seats and the console.

2interior.jpg

Here is what is left of the old model.

2withold.jpg

The trailer is under construction, and I expect a video with the truck on my youtube account "soon" (this usually means days from now).

3trailer_mechanism.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=415503

The new Renault Magnum looks a lot better than the old Octan Truck. I'm looking forward to seeing your video of the tractor-trailer combination in a few days. Maybe you should consider entering your truck in a "Hard Truck Contest" featured on the website http://www.doublebrick.com/htc !

Very accurate!

This truck is functional and very detailed looking and that is really an achievement!

I am not really a fan of the actual Renault truck as produced by the factory, but your model is an exact copy of that so it's brilliant Lego-wise! :thumbup:

I am currently working on a project that is strongly influenced by your red Coca Cola truck and find it to be very difficult to incorporate all the motors and functions into the model and still leave some space for nice detailing like the real thing. I am getting there but couldn't have done it without your extensive Power function testing and the prototypes on Brickshelf.

:classic:

Wow, that's a grreat model, it's very accurate. Your pictures are very clear and present all the useful views.

Thanks for showing this!

Thank you for your comments.

> dluders

I can't participate with my trucks because they are of the old 1:25 scale 12 wide type, whereas HTC is a 1:22, 14 wide truck competition. But perhaps I should try to start something up in Denmark where we simply loosen that rule up a bit.

> simonwillems

I'm looking forward to see what you are up to. Glad that you could use the material I have up there for something useful :)

BTW. This truck is a bit cheesy. I mean, it contains 64 cheese slopes:

2 Dark gray

2 Light gray

3 Black

2 Tr. white

8 Tr. smoke

25 Red

22 white

With a length of only 29 studs, that is 2.2 cheeses/stud, which is a bit much while still being completely incomprehensible for the casual reader.

Cool Magnum.

Nice shape. Making a truck cabin looking curved while keeping interior and PF is not an easy task.

I just don't like 1x4 gray tiles in front above the headlight.

I know that this is a new Magnum, and it has angled headlights.

I would rather create older type which has straight headlights, thus it would not require any pieces covering them.

Very pretty. Good looks and functionality, that's what Model Team is all about.

Cheers,

Ralph

Hello!

I am always amazed by those huge Model Team creations. They're so full of details although being very big. Yours is no exception. A lot of love for detail went into it as you can see. :classic: And even if you're not familiar with the typical shape of a Renault Truck you will instantly recognize it as such, but the simple but brilliant Renault logo. This little piece add really much to its authentic look. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Yeah, I know what you mean.

It was a really hard decision to make, and this was simply the best compromise with the new design. I didn't want to build the last version now that I also have the latest generation Scania R-series.

It would also be nice if I could place the clear tile between the two studs of the front lights.

2front.jpg

2973413406_cee839f25f.jpg

That reference picture makes the likeness to the real truck even more clear. I've been looking at building a modern European truck since I completed my DAF fire engine and have been eyeballing the Magnum. I'd probably build the angled bits to the side of the radiator with plates on their sides, but the two studs extra width (I do build 14 wide) make that sort of thing a bit easier to do. Your solution with the tiles work well enough though.

Cheese slopes are a great invention and I use lots of them too. Just for fun, I counted them on my Buick.

58 dark red

8 light bley

4 reddish brown

21 trans clear

a grand total of 91 or (with a length of 31 studs) a 'cheesiness factor' of 2.9 :-)

It's not the largest number of cheese slopes I've ever used on a single MOC, but probably the highest number per length/

I remember getting my first two cheese slopes back in 2004 (in a creator set with red cars), but I could have never imagined ever being able to use so many.

Cheers,

Ralph

That reference picture makes the likeness to the real truck even more clear. I've been looking at building a modern European truck since I completed my DAF fire engine and have been eyeballing the Magnum. I'd probably build the angled bits to the side of the radiator with plates on their sides, but the two studs extra width (I do build 14 wide) make that sort of thing a bit easier to do. Your solution with the tiles work well enough though.

I am planning on fiddling around with a plate version as you suggest. Let me return with it and we will see.

Cheese slopes are a great invention and I use lots of them too. Just for fun, I counted them on my Buick.

(...)

a grand total of 91 or (with a length of 31 studs) a 'cheesiness factor' of 2.9 :-)

(...)

Perhaps we should introduce a cheese or SNOT techniques pr. length factors for Model Team constructions. We seem to be using quite a lot when trying to approximate the real things.

Great model. I especially like the working headlights and how well they "blend" into the look of the model.

You did it again bud, fantastic work! :thumbup:

I can add that i like the cheeses a lot as well, as i have been using them more and more on vehicles and other stuff.

Somewhere this year I hope to have a go at a full RC tank, but i can only dream of making things run as smooth as you do!

On a side note, how is your mosaic software now? I'm making one on my ship and it might be useful... :look:

The Mosaic software is still pre-alpha.

Here is another way of making the front. You get a more correct flat grille, but it also has more holes.

magnum1.png

Blogged!

I love this creation, Lasse! The combination of design and functionality is incredible, keep em coming :)

Now since I don't have access to LEGO bricks this semester, I will have to get my fix in other ways.

Here are the instructions for an improved version of the Magnum:

Magnum_0_43.png

The improvements include:

- Longer wheelbase for better traction

- Dual rear wheels for better traction and authenticity.

- Space for improving clutch resistance.

- Improved structural integrity.

- Liftarm frame for the rear diff to improve reliability (less cog grinding).

- More realistic interior.

But I have not been able to build it myself! I would very much like someone to build this thing and tell me if it actually works.

(A parts list and interactive step list images will appear later)

Edit:

Parts list and interactive step list images have now been added.

Edited by Lasse D