Sign in to follow this  
Jasbrick

Review of 2009

Hi,

It has been a while since I last posted and I thought I would start by a review of all the work I have done over the last year (my first as a customiser). I would love to show every single one, but due to the sheer number I think it best to show an example of each theme that I have played with and a link to the set in Flickr if you want to see more.

So here they are!

Castle (a relatively new theme for me which I will be doing more in soon)

4200791799_f758f03f41_o.jpg

Centaur Swordmaster

Castle Set Link

Jin Roh (Alternative WWII with German occupied Japan influence)

4050091874_12ea975534_o.jpg

Special Police in Protect Gear Armour

Jin Roh Set Link

Stargate

3884758281_04133aba20_o.jpg

Jaffa Horus Guard

Stargate Set Link

Steampunk

3662098757_1a02b373b8_o.jpg

Steamtrooper

Steampunk Set Link

Zombie Hunters (One of my favourite themes)

4157192197_48748a6a22_o.jpg

Pyscho

Zombie Hunter Set Link

Brikviet (My absolute favourite theme)

3995325712_b08fe9db50_o.jpg

Ground Support Pilot

Brikviet Set Link

WWII

4025889562_5c7234c16f_o.jpg

German Sniper Team

WWII Set Link

HALO

4247258771_dd2650ef46_o.jpg

ODST Trooper

HALO Set Link

Comic Heroes

4050419370_c2bacec55d_o.jpg

Iron Man (Auctioned off as part of Creations for Charity)

Comic Heroes Set Link

Star Wars

4248033750_50383b0b60_o.jpg

Airborne Ranger Clone Trooper

Star Wars Set Link

Space Pirates

4128602092_78b0e5f358_o.jpg

Slayer

Space Pirates Set Link

Corporation

3332438075_020886b205_o.jpg

Military Contractor

Corporation Set Link

Briktish

4025889434_5831b98e05_o.jpg

Grinning Death

Briktish Set Link

Krieg

3371354126_5c4418457b_o.jpg

Krieg Paratrooper

Krieg Set Link

Napoleonic

3431915181_17250a4d6e_o.jpg

Sharpe, 95th Rifles

Napoleonic Set Link

That is pretty much it for the major themes... sorry if this is too large or contravenes a rule, however I thought it was best to get it all in one post.

I hope you like these and I will try and do better this year.

Jasbrick

Gosh, you're so talented! :wub:

Your style is quite unique, though, it looks like LEGO minifigs melted with Warhammer figs. It might be the future of official LEGO figs as well, but at least I hope they stay in the simplified, stylized form they are now.

So while I probably wouldn't buy your figs for MOCing purposes, they are fantastic in their own right. I especially love the Steampunk theme.

Wow, Jasbirck, your minifigs are fantastic. :thumbup:

I like all of them an equal amount. Keep up the great work, and I can't wait to see some more from you.

-'Skintas

Gosh, you're so talented! :wub:

Your style is quite unique, though, it looks like LEGO minifigs melted with Warhammer figs. It might be the future of official LEGO figs as well, but at least I hope they stay in the simplified, stylized form they are now.

So while I probably wouldn't buy your figs for MOCing purposes, they are fantastic in their own right. I especially love the Steampunk theme.

Thanks... I understand the comment regarding the warhammer figs, however it is very difficult to customise without at least attempting to include some detail. In most cases I hope that my figs stay true to minifig style, however I do admit that I have gotten carried away in the past (e.g. Stargate Jaffa).

I create my figs principally for my own use (even though I do sell some through Firestar) and I suppose it is mainly down to what we each feel is appropriate.

Jasbrick

I love your creations. You are an amazing customiser! Stargate is probabley the best custom I have seen!

Just out of interest, do you use Warhammer paints?

I love your creations. You are an amazing customiser! Stargate is probabley the best custom I have seen!

Just out of interest, do you use Warhammer paints?

Thank you very much.... with regard to paints etc. I describe this in my blog here.

Jasbrick

Thanks... I understand the comment regarding the warhammer figs, however it is very difficult to customise without at least attempting to include some detail. In most cases I hope that my figs stay true to minifig style, however I do admit that I have gotten carried away in the past (e.g. Stargate Jaffa).

It's not just about details, but also the color palette (you use mostly muted and dark tones, and tons of more shades than LEGO) and the shapes (your accessories have smooth and round corners, many cracks and crevices, and altogether more three-dimensional shapes). This all adds to the professional, high-quality feels of your figs, but also takes away their compatibility with official LEGO pieces, creating quite a stark contrast.

But as said, that is your style and you should definitely keep true to it, instead of just trying to copycat the authentic LEGO. :wink:

Really nice work, you've had a great year of customising! I need to look through this galleries in more depth now.

That centaur is especially nice, great blend of horse and minifig. Looking forward to more castle customs :thumbup:

These are really great.

I am embarrassed by the comparison of your customizations and mine.

Yours are just brilliant.

The Jaffa Horus Guard, it really is just astonishing.

Woah. Did you make all those custom pieces yourself? :thumbup:

A lot of these rely on pieces from Brickarms, Brickforge, Arealight, MMCB, Amazing Armory and probably most importantly Lego.

Jasbrick

That's incredible! :thumbup:

I'd love to see you try the Black Kit for the SAS!

Do you mean like this:

4072081110_37b10ac13a_o.jpg

Jasbrick

Edited by Jasbrick

They are soo Amazing Jasbrick!! :cry_happy::wub:

I really like all the Mandos and clone troopers in the SW section. :wub:

The other sections are amazing aswell!

Amazing job with 2009, can't wait to see 2010 figs!!

CommanderFox

For your first year, it is very impressive. It's always interesting to look back on one's work and see how they improved over time (I do it as well).

Anyways I enjoy your work dude. Keep it up.

-Omi

ooh. a very good post. this is tempting me to make a 'Review' of my own customs... I might do just that!

~tin7

I look forward to seeing that... going through everything you have done can be a very useful exercise, for me it showed me the gaps in my collection and helped me decide where I want to take things in 2010.

Jasbrick

A very nice selection, indeed. ) :thumbup:

Well, the level of your minifigs is really high, not to mention the detalization. One which even LEGO has never done. )

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us in 2010. Keep the work up! ) :classic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Just great looking mini-figs! Love the creativity...the details...the weapons!

The Centaur and that German sniper team have a real professional look. Wish Lego would do a WWII themed line...tanks, fighter planes, army platoons.

Also the Psycho fig with the Che-shirt is spot on. Only someone mentally ill would wear a Che shirt...perfect.