KurttKrueger

Troll Cavalry Ideas?

Greetings folks,

With the news of the new Lego Kingdoms theme, I got out my Crown Knight and Troll armies in anticipation for glorious, cross-theme inter-faction warfare.

I've added a bit to my Crown Knights, as it is the larger force of the two, but now turn my attention to my Troll Warriors. As theres an abundance of cavalry for the Crownies, I've been trying to think of steeds that would work for Troll cavalry.

Have any of you created units of Troll cavalry, and if so, what mounts have you used, and what accessories? While horses would obviously work, they don't seem to fit in with the theme of the Trolls, at least to me anyway.

Or do you view the Trolls as having masses of foot soldiers and giant, lumbering Trolls instead?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Kurtt

Edited by KurttKrueger

I'm not an army builder, but I don't really see trolls riding horses, either. In traditional fantasy, orcs often ride wolves or wolf-like beings (like the "wargs" in Lord of the Rings) and sometimes boars. I believe showed the brick-built wolves he had made for the trolls here about a year ago or so.

Out of official LEGO animals, I'd probably use the cows as steeds for the trolls, but I mostly see trolls as footsmen or riding in big warmachines, like TLG portrays them.

My orcs preffer using Ogres or wolves (brickbuild fenir wolf from Viking theme)for riding. But I saw many other orcs riding on Elephants or sand green dinosaurs as well.

In Warcraft tOrc leaders riding Big wolves, boars, pigs, dragons and Kodo beasts (Hippo like dinosaurs).

I think it would be great idea to make horse like-battle machines. It would fit for Troll-war machine master look. :thumbup:

Cows for orcs? Just one word: LOL

I've had the same problem. I rigged the larger trolls (the sand green and tan ones) to work as cavalry, but I think a Dewback from the Star Wars series would work as well (though that would be an expensive option).

Here's what I did:

orc_3.jpg

I wonder if you could smurf out some way for them to ride alligators...

Steve

You can stick to fantasy stereotypes, and have trolls with non troll mounts or just use giant trolls as cavalry.

Or break them and have your trolls mounted on horses.

I agree, it really seems that trolls wouldn't be riding horses, but should be massed in hordes. For light cavalry, you could probably try wolves, but I personally think that troll cavalry need to be as outlandish as the trolls themselves.

The computer game Battle for Middle Earth 2 had a unit of giant spiders with orc riders. I think the Aragog from the Harry Poter line, a modified Bionicle Visorak, or a MOC spider would work well as troll cavalry.

Some nice ideas so far folks, keep em coming.

Taun Tauns crossed my mind, as well as Crodiles and Dewbacks, the latter being horrifically expensive. I have a Taun Taun, so I'll have a go with him later.

I also thought about using the Raptor's from the old Dino themes. They seem reasonably priced on Brinklink, though they may be a tad big.

So, it would seem the general consensus of opinion so far is mass infantry and giant trolls over cavalry. I can live with that! :D

Edited by KurttKrueger

Wolves would make good steeds for orcs. They DO need steeds because if you want to raid a village these might be useful.00200_pillager.png

Wolves would make good steeds for orcs. They DO need steeds because if you want to raid a village these might be useful.00200_pillager.png From Battle for Wesnoth.

Kurt,

Have you ever though about adding NON-Lego elements to your army? For example, I am looking to purchase several plastic elephants and wolves to add for "evil" side to ride on as well as some dinosaurs. You can create a saddle from lego parts. what do you think about that?

Like posades said, I use mounted giant trolls. I remove the horns on the body, put a brown plate on it, a railing, and I usually put an archer or commander on it.

I have been thinking of using the Prince of Persia ostriches for my troll cavalry. I was hoping Brickforge might make warboars, but I'm thinking they won't.

Ahab out.................

Kurt,

Have you ever though about adding NON-Lego elements to your army? For example, I am looking to purchase several plastic elephants and wolves to add for "evil" side to ride on as well as some dinosaurs. You can create a saddle from lego parts. what do you think about that?

Its a nice idea gogobig, but I'm to much of a Lego puritan to consider having none Lego pieces in my collection I'm afraid! :wink:

Bear in mind though, Lego have produced minifig scale elephants.

Trolls/Orcs would be more suited to riding bigger, beefier beasts. Like the green dewback from star wars or the elephants.

Brick built beasts would work best like what the other people have suggested. Boars or wolves/wargs seem to do the work best.

Personally, I'd rather have them riding siege machines pulled by large beasts or the large trolls.

Trolls/Orcs would be more suited to riding bigger, beefier beasts. Like the green dewback from star wars or the elephants.

Brick built beasts would work best like what the other people have suggested. Boars or wolves/wargs seem to do the work best.

Personally, I'd rather have them riding siege machines pulled by large beasts or the large trolls.

I think thats the general feeling as far as the Trolls go. Look at Tower Raid and the Troll Assault Wagon. I might try and go with a cut down version of the Assault Wagon.

I built this little trorc archer chariot. It has some pikes, spikes and two side blades. In my legoworld, trorcs are nice to animals - its those pesky humans they cant stand :classic:

dscn1510s.jpg

I made it a lot smaller than the offiicial troll war machines, which I found oversized.

I built this little trorc archer chariot. It has some pikes, spikes and two side blades. In my legoworld, trorcs are nice to animals - its those pesky humans they cant stand

You used my word! I am so happy seeing this! :cry_happy:

Back to topic: What about riding the dragons? They can be usefull when you planing attack from above...

I have been thinking of using the Prince of Persia ostriches for my troll cavalry. I was hoping Brickforge might make warboars, but I'm thinking they won't.

Ahab out.................

That's an excellent idea. I plan on picking up a few of those sets myself. They seem to compliment Castle well.

An excellent chariot. The archer at the back makes me think of the Gladiator movie. :thumbup:

I think this one is very realistic, the blades are a deadly nice touch.