gusmoore17

Harry Potter 2010 discussion thread

I think it was mentioned before, but maybe an Architecture-scale Hogwarts. :classic:

That would be kinda neat actually, but then again, who would buy that except hardcore fans?

It was the idea of the original series, but the main problem with them is that they weren't meant to be an accurate representation of Hogwarts from the exterior or interior. The main castle especially is very weak in design, at least to me, when compared to the real thing.

It never bothered me that the classrooms didn't look exactly like the ones in the movies. I actually kinda liked it that TLG took some creative liberties to make the sets more enjoyable and compatible with each other. After all, this is based on a series of books, and the movies are only a guideline to how the "real" Hogwarts could look.

The falcon didnt have any interior, unless you count the 4 seats in the cockpit and the gunners seat.

Of course I count that. What else would you call it? Besides, if a UCS Hogwarts had an interior, it would probably just be comprised of chairs and tables as well. But like you said, it would only be a movie-accurate exterior, and that's not very attractive to me. And as Svelte said, no one really has the space to put such a thing. Heck, I'm even worried where I'm gonna put 4842 if I get it. :laugh:

The thing is that the scale of the movie Hogwarts is massive - ludicrously so - but how much of all those huge towers and echoing cloisters do we actually see in the films? Surprisingly little. Yes, there's the dining hall, some classrooms, house rooms but this is still only a teensy fraction of the volume that the facade must hide from all the panning and fly-by CGI shots we get of the exterior. So a UCS Hogwarts with minifig scale would be impossible, IMO - too big and there would be nothing to put in it.

This was raised before, but the 4842 Hogwarts seems to be in some ways a compromise between a minifig-scale interior and a different-scale exterior - compare the height of the dining hall in the new model with the original 2001 version. However it's interior footprint is a lot more expansive and stable now they've moved on from trying to make the main model fit on variations of 8x8 and 8x16 footprints.

Woah. Did not expect that! Do they give prices, or just images?

It just shows harry potter minifigures and something that reads:

"Sets coming in October"

I think TRU will most probably have them in late next month. :classic:

unfortunately no, it was just a banner saying "availible instore from october".

when i saw that i too got my hopes up :hmpf_bad:

Why on the earth is LEGO torturing us like this :cry_sad:

Our only hope is TRU will get them early. :wink:

It just shows harry potter minifigures and something that reads:

"Sets coming in October"

I think TRU will most probably have them in late next month. :classic:

I best get saving then!

Someone uploaded the catalogue of 2010 in high resolution, including LEGO Harry Potter! I'm pretty sure these scans haven't been posted here. Finally we've got a very good look at the final designs. Good to see Dumbledore has a new face print, Luna's normal head print looks good (from what I can make of it) and the new Filch is great. All the other minifigures look also perfect to me. The sets are still looking wonderful, and the interiors even more! Finally a good look at the interior of Hagrid's Hut, the highlight for that set, it's looking nice and cozy. The Hogwarts interior is cramped with stuff, awesome.

A bit confusing though, with the trio (looking more adult with their old print) on the page. Oh, and what's McGonagall doing there with Hermoine...

1gkqcx.jpg

5mxxn8.jpg

:wub: I'm excited for these! I'm already thinking of reviewing them all and comparing the redesigns with their old version. :blush:

EDIT: uploaded smaller images that link to the high resolution scans. :thumbup:

Edited by Matn

Nice pictures, but why is Ron the only one with a scared face.. :cry_sad: Harry and Hermione both have a normal face and angry but Ron not LIKE HE'S ALWAYS SCARED but he's not!!

Nevermind that, whys Luna driving the hogwarts express? :laugh::wacko:

Because somebody has to since they are still not giving us a driver for it, even though she's probably not the best one for the job. :tongue:

Nice pictures, but why is Ron the only one with a scared face.. :cry_sad: Harry and Hermione both have a normal face and angry but Ron not LIKE HE'S ALWAYS SCARED but he's not!!

Well..I would be totally scared if I was about to drop my BFF from a flying car or if I was about to face a humongous ugly spider :P

Well..I would be totally scared if I was about to drop my BFF from a flying car or if I was about to face a humongous ugly spider :P

Rather, a humongous spider who happens to have an entire clan of relatives :wink: .

It is interesting though that Ron is the only one that has a scared expression..

If you do remember the scene from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, his face was rather comical, so i can see why it was included :wink: .

Sirius

Rather, a humongous spider who happens to have an entire clan of relatives :wink: .

It is interesting though that Ron is the only one that has a scared expression..

If you do remember the scene from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, his face was rather comical, so i can see why it was included :wink: .

Sirius

Yeah, you are right about the Aragog's vast family! xD

I've heard a whisper that we will get something super exciting at the start of 2011... even bigger than the new Hogwarts, if you can believe that :oh:

Sssssh! Don't breathe a word! :wink:

There's a review by dunjohn right here in this forum:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44223

It's not yet available in Australia from S@H but I just ordered a copy from Barnes & Noble in the US - they have ridiculously cheap international shipping, and even with that included, the price is under what we will probably pay for it in Australian dollars anyway.

I've heard a whisper that we will get something super exciting at the start of 2011... even bigger than the new Hogwarts, if you can believe that :oh:

You tease. This taunting thing your doing isn't funny or clever! It's deeply painfully! :tongue:

So, people, ideas? I think it'll be a Ministry set. Or a Battle of Hogwarts set...

I'd love to see a Diagon Alley set done in the style of the Medieval Market Village - only a bit larger.

I'm with The Brick Rat on this. I've always wanted more Diagon Alley shops after Quality Quidditch Supplies and the Knockturn Alley shop came out years ago!

Woah! Svelte, don't tease us like that. :sadnew: You got me excited though. I don't think it'll be another Hogwarts set. It could be a Ministry set but I don't see how that would be bigger than the Hogwarts set. Probably a little town, with a couple of houses, Hogsmeade (winter village) or a few shops from Diagon Alley. Of course, I hope there will be some sweet exclusive minifigures. I'm looking forward to some more info!

You are a very mean person!

Of course, I'm joking. Thank you for sharing, kind of.

Any more info svelte???? :tongue:

Those scans are great!!! THANKS MATN!

I despise the microfigs :hmpf_bad:

And will there be anymore sets in 2011? cos i saw klaus deiter has seen the new catalog.

Im hoping for a Spinners end!

That properly would be the Ministry of Magic if it is true !! :wub: A big fountain an some buildings.

Any more info svelte???? :tongue:

Those scans are great!!! THANKS MATN!

I despise the microfigs :hmpf_bad:

And will there be anymore sets in 2011? cos i saw klaus deiter has seen the new catalog.

Im hoping for a Spinners end!

Sounds like Svelte is hinting at another set in early 2011. One that'll be bigger than the 2010 Hogwarts. Please not a 5th version of the castle!

Hopefully it'll be the Ministry set, or a huge Deathly Hallows set. I'm not too sure what that'd include though.

Also, any idea when we'll find out about this? Will it be soon or are we going to have to wait till early 2011?

Edited by SuperChris