gusmoore17

Harry Potter 2010 discussion thread

Finally some good pictures. I love the castle exterior and all the minifigures.

The other sets are really nice especially the Burrow.

Thanks for the Pictures :classic:

The exterior of Hogwarts makes me think of the Father Ted episode where Ted gives Dougal a lesson on "small" and "far away". I think it's a reasonable way to try to acheive the look of the large group of buildings, but usable by minifigs with a minifig-scale interior.

The Burrow is still looking great.

My views on the others are not much changed, I think Hogwarts Express is a less clunky version of the previous model, but still terribly disappointing that it isn't a "proper" train model. The Ford Anglia is similarly a bit more streamlined, but somehow loses some proportions and now looks too short.

Hagrid's Hut... again perhaps a bit better than the previous rendition, but it is so much just a recreation of the previous model, which again is disappointing.

Quidditch - nothing too special about this, although again it is an improved rendition of the previous scene. That's not necessarily enough to go get it though!

Dobby's Release - for such a tiny set, not unreasonable. Far better than the previous attempt.

So... I'll have to get the Burrow and Hogwarts as soon as I can. As regards Hogwart's Express... I could get the minifigs on bricklink, but that would be poor value and when all is said and done, I think the train is a bit better than the last one - between the two (I have the previous one), some parts to go towards an MOC of a proper train model. Maybe will hold out for a price reduction or making use of store credit (Art & Hobby loyalty card) for Hogwart's Express.

Getting Quidditch and Dobby's Release depends on their price.

Hagrid's Hut - if I get all the others, I may have to get it for completion, but it is down the list.

PS. I can't believe some of you are whining about the lack of wands. I have like a bazillion of those wand/lightsaber sticks in a large variety of colors in my stock, and my whole collection still fits one cabinet so it's not large by far. I don't understand why people want absolutely everything to be included in every set, since all LEGO fit together and you can mix'n'match them endlessly. :sceptic:

I agree, I think the easiest way to get wands right now is the Ostritch Race set. :wink:

I do not like the Burrow at all. :sick: It looks way too cartoony with even dark red. So I'm obviously going to buy it for figs. :tongue:

Love the new pictures!

The Castle really does look a lot better there, doesn't it? Roll on October please.

For me just the Wesleys house please.

The new Aragog/his son/whatever big spider is called. Is ugly.

Agreed about Aragog. I personally liked the old one. Snagged it while it was still being sold at wal-mart. :) good times..

If my voice acting picks up I'll be able to afford Hogwarts III, Hogwarts Express II, and The Burrow. But if I get the chance, I'll get em' all.

~MC

Ah, real pics that you can get very close-up on!

Well, besides for the Burrow set, it's really all about the minifigures for me. Honestly, if I'm disappointed about something, I am allowed to be. This is very likely the last wave of HP, and if there are certain things LEGO still hasn't gotten right about the figures, I have perfect right to share that opinion and be less than satisfied.

Of course, all of my dislikes could change once/if I actually hold the figures in front of me, but just from the pictures I have some thoughts:

What I like:

Ginny - They got her down completely, soft face, perfect hair, grumpy expression as well.

Ron - The hair doesn't really match to any of the movies, but it has a nice unkempt Ron look, and his dopey face suits the character well.

Fenrir and Bellatrix - spot on.

Filch - it might be the same face as Boba Fett, but it works, even though it's a little happier then we've ever seen Filch. Happy to torture, I suppose.

Flitwick - cartoony, but very cute.

Marcus Flint and Oliver what's-his-name - they work great for their characters, especially Flint with a unique face.

Hagrid - his new face gives a good Hagrid feel.

Lucius Malfoy and Dobby - hey, they look like their characters.

Some gripes:

Harry - this version looks like a little kid. The annoyed face is a bit better (zoom in on the Burrow pic), but the regular face with the mouth up high speaks little kid. That's not a problem for scenes from the first two or even three films, but he does not match the 'age' of the Ginny fig at all. I will certainly be swapping in the Harry head used for the book four and five LEGO sets.

Molly and Arthur - their clothes look great, but their faces just don't give across their characters to me. Molly looks freakishly old, and Arthur has a grin that's too big. It's great to finally get them in minifig form, but I'm a bit disappointed with the face prints.

Malfoy - what is with that face? It just looks like he's really happy, not snarky-happy like Malfoy should be. I love the hair, but I think his over-used as a Russian soldier face is much, much better for the character.

Snape - the face doesn't match Alan Rickman so well, the last one in the last Castle was better. Nice hair though.

McGonagall - I don't see why LEGO needs to make everyone so happy. The dark green is nice, but she looks a bit too cheery. It's certainly not the Aunt May face though, on close inspection.

Dumbledore - on the zoom in, he definitely has a new torso. That's a plus, but a more serious face would've been nice. This is one face print they never changed, and while it works great for Richard Harris' Dumbledore, it's not as good for Michael Gambon's.

Voldemort - certainly miles better than the last horrendous try, but also a bit too cheery. Voldemort should not look happy at all.

I can't really comment on Luna, since we have yet to see her normal face, but I think it will probably be fine.

I agree so much with Clone O'Patra. :thumbup: They got most minifigures spot on, but some are too much influenced by the new LEGO standard for minifigure designs. Some look too happy, like Voldemort. It would be useful to have an angry face, to replicate some scenes. Dumbledore really needed a new face, oh well. Harry looks indeed like a kid, which is perfect for the first two films, but it doesn't fit at all for the last 5 parts. His mouth is a bit too close with his eyes, that's what makes him look much younger. I really hoped for an angry version of the Harry Potter head since film 4. And last, Hermoine doesn't really fit with her character I think. A redesign of the first one would be warmly welcomed.

But I still think TLG did an awesome job on these sets, and I would love to get my hands on all of them! :tongue:

What piece(s) did they use for the roofs of the Hogwarts towers? They're not the tiled parts used in previous versions as far as I can tell.

Go here and zoom in for a close look but I think you mean the piece below:

33215.1073683626.jpg

(In the green of course)

Here are the High Res pictures of the 2010 Harry Potter sets!

Warning Pics can be +2500 pxl.

cover.jpg

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Edited by grogall

I agree with Clone-O-Patra. :thumbup:

:sceptic: I think Lego were lazy with Harry's minifig. His face and hair look great for PS and CoS, but not so much for all the others. I like how he's wearing that outfit from PoA and HBP though. I'm sure the problem could be solved by changing his hair to Agent Chase hair and using that angry face.

On the bright side I too love the Ginny and Ron figures! :thumbup: Ginny looks so much like Bonnie Wright! I don't think Lego has ever made a minifig look so much like the actor before. And Ron is spot on. :thumbup:

Harry's hair should be shorter?! I hoped they would release the Clone Wars Anakin Skywalker hair in black, so it would fit the description of Harry in the Deathly Hallows.

Thanks for these hi-res photos, the sets look great. I'm actually starting to like the train! The person who made the sets put the wrong head on Malfoy and Ron. Speaking of Ron, his figure is perfect. Just as Ginny's is. Actually, all the minifigures look more than awesome. If they only revamped Dumbledore...

Thanks for the pics grogall. :thumbup:

For me the figs are the main attraction and there I agree with Clone-O-Patra.

As for the sets they look great, but I must see Hogwarts folded up before I judge it.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn Boba Fett never did a cameo in Harry Potter... :wacko:

post-2921-1274005119.jpg

post-2921-1274005134.jpg

I think these sets are A okay the way they are. Only gripe is: why aren't all owls in all sets printed versions? Or am I mistaken? At least those on Hagrid's hut (above the door) appear unprinted...

Idea: who else thinks Voldemort's torso could be awesome on that new Kingdoms-line's sorceror? Instead of that bland unprinted one... Meh, still too expensive a set just for that piece :-(

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn Boba Fett never did a cameo in Harry Potter... default_wacko.gif

Or it's just TLC getting the most mileage out of a new face-print they can get... ;-) Clearly the attracted customers may be way different groups, both age- and interest-wise, so giving them a perfectly made scarred-smirk-face in both lines isn't so much of a compromise on either group's part. I think it's better to even not think of face-prints as a persona-based thing, especially when it comes down to secondary characters.

Edited by Cutty

Go here and zoom in for a close look but I think you mean the piece below:

33215.1073683626.jpg

(In the green of course)

Oh yeah it would seem it's still the old piece, silly me.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn Boba Fett never did a cameo in Harry Potter... :wacko:

In my opinion, that's great! It will make the head cheaper on BL :grin:

Edited by commdr_neyo

Thanks so much for the great pucs Grogall! :thumbup:

I am looking forward to finally owning some HP sets.

Now remember to keep your head down when TLC comes knocking.

Draco is Ron?! Look at the train. :tongue:

I hope they fix the printing on Molly's legs.

I hope they fix the printing on her legs and torso. :laugh:

Edited by indianajones

To everyone who is complaining about ROn's non-skater hair in Hagrid's Hut:

Remeber that although these sets may be high-def, they aren't necessarily final. Look at the owl in Hagrid's Hut, they have no face/torso print. Look at the owls in the Burrows, they DO have torso prints, so the Burrows picture we have is probably pretty close to being the final product. :classic:

My only complaint with these sets is voldemort's new face. It just doens't look good enough yet. And also, Lego is getting pretty cheap, Notice that in the burrows picture all the wood tiles have stickers on them when in the past, they have always been printed pieces :hmpf_bad: I really do hope thats just something that they will change for the final set.

I'm surprised they don't use the new 3L Bar for wands that is in the new collector minifigs series. Would have looked better than those long 4L ones.