Kikuichimonji

What did you buy today?

Ok not much but I got an old 6899 Nebula Outpost - one of those little sets I always wanted as a kid and never picked up. I love all the neon translucent parts and wanted a small-ish space build that wasn't just a ship (i.e., a station of some kind). Love it, especially the brick-built telescope on top. Despite the negative comments about that set, I was always most interested in building sets and carefully positioning the minifigs for display, so I don't mind if it's a bit fragile.

Also got a couple of the S11 minifigs, because I can't help it. Gingerbread Man and Welder.

A S@H order earlier this month for thems double points!

1 - 21105 - Microworld - The Village

1 - 60015 - Coast Guard Plane

1 - 60019 - Stunt Plane

2 - 60020 - Cargo Truck

1 - 60021 - Cargo Plane

(1 - 60022 - Cargo Terminal from ebay)

1 - 60025 - Grand Prix Truck

1 - 60027 - Monster Truck Transporter

&

2 - Free minifigs :classic:

haul_18__10-2-13.jpg_thumb.jpg

Shayd - what is a k-box?

K-Boxes are the bulk parts bins they use to fill the PaB wall at the back of the store. The case is 7.5 X 9.5 x 6 inches (apparently they use English-standard boxes (at least here in the states)). I'm told the boxes are filled by weight, mostly to the limit of volume (contents may have settled during shipping) so the number of parts per box varies with the piece, but all cases of, say, 2x4 bricks are supposed to have the same number of pieces. (I actually bothered to count one once when I found an on-line reference as to how many parts each box contained and the total came out right - now I just take their word for it.)

In the US a K-box sells for $70 (regardless of which part it holds) and is available by request only. So long as the box hasn't been opened (for the purposes of stocking the wall) management seems quite willing to sell stuff by the case. At the store I frequent, they have a three ring binder of the cases in the stockroom as well as current order sheets for what other parts they can get at the moment (the "orderable" list - to me - seems a bit biased in favor of the parts needed to build coming month's in-store mini-build). I just ask them what they've got in stock, they show me the list, I make my selections and an associate runs in back and comes back with cases of bulk bricks (from the Mexico plant, according to the stickers).

My store knows me well enough to take requests (within the limits of the "orderable" list) with the caveat that if I don't pick it up promptly when it comes in, it might end up on the wall when someone randomly grabs a box from the stockroom (they don't "pre-sell" it to me and set it aside - they tell me they need to scan the bar code for bookkeeping purposes and can't do that until it's in the store).

Ultimately, it's not as cheap as getting bricks via Brinklink but can be more economical once you factor in the value of your time and postage for those rare situations where you really do need 2500 "2x2 corner plates in dark blueish gray" and Bricklink is sending you to two dozen different vendors to get them in sufficient quantity. At the moment I'm working on a sizable MOC of Barad Dur (from the Lord of the Rings) that has taxed my supply of black and dark grey bricks and needed to restock.

K-Boxes aren't as sexy as a nice new kit in a brightly colored box (they're just brown corrugated cardboard printed with a small LEGO logo and a recycling tag) or as challenging as trying to get 1500 misc. parts into a short PaB cup. But if you're after one stop shopping for stocking your own PaB wall, it's a quick way to bulk up (no pun intended).

Obviously, K-Boxes only make sense for generic parts in colors one tends to use often. I have no idea what I'd do with, say 9000 bucket handles in hot pink, for example, but for things like 6x8 plates (which I use a double layer of as a strong baseplate under most of my MOCs) or just the trusty 2x4 brick, it's surprising how quickly one can go through an entire case despite having started with the reaction of "well I guess I have a lifetime supply of these" when one first opened the box.

I was able to snag several Battle of Smallville sets for 50% off. I'll be selling off the Superman, General Zod, Faora, and Tor-an minifigs shortly.

Shayd - thanks for that information. You always have thought it and informative responses, so I like reading what you write. I have heard of people buying bulk from the back, but I didn't know that is what it was called. I did ask one what was in the back and ended up getting a lot of dark green bricks, but I hadn't considered possibly buying a large box for $70. But perhaps in the future I will.

Bought 5 S11 minifigs at my local TRU today which are Holiday Elf, Lady Robot, Mountain Climber, Pretzel Girl and Saxaphone Player.

Edited by JeagerEX

I finally bought an older set I missed when I was younger because of the dark ages:

1381 Vampire's Crypt

Ending the Double Points month, made an order for:

1 - 10229 - Winter Village Cottage

1 - 21105 - Micro World Village

1 - 21106 - Micro Village Nethers

2 - 40056 - Thanksgiving Feast

1 - 60014 - Coast Guard Patrol

&

40082 - LEGO Christmas Tree Stand as a freebie :classic:

haul_19_10-25-13.jpg_thumb.jpg

Bought 6 S11 Minifigs at my local TRU today which contains the ff:

Barbarian

Gingerbread Man

Grandma

Island Warrior

Scarecrow

and the Yeti..

Now, I stopped buying them until Black Friday or the release of a LEGO Movie minifgs because I've just completed all of them.

Won 60022 Cargo Terminal for $86, BL order for some add ons for my 2013 cargo jets, and some CMFs from an ebay seller including:

S6 8827 - Lady Liberty

S6 8827 Skater Girl

S9 71000 Judge

x3 S11 71002 Rock Climber

x3 S11 71002 Welder

:classic:

My first power functions train, 7939 (have emerald night, maersk, Horizon) but now motorized... wow, what have I been missing... trains :wub:

I'll work on powering up my emerald night next week for my Winter diorama!

And numerous christmas polybags :classic:

Chapters has some offers right now like 20% off LEGO this week, plus a 'freebie' $20 gift card for being an I-rewards member.

Between all the discounts, I got Eris' Eagle Interceptor for just $14 and change!

Just dicided to "just do it"

BL orders for 18.612 items in 12 stores. (for custom winter train station/winter fire house/winter gas station/winter mcdrive/winter house 2 colours/winter bed & breakfast/winter cafe/ winter church)

Let the counting start...

- the Vampyre Castle (a bit late for Halloween but oh well...)

- Vladek Encounter (an older set I might review at some point)

- Ambush Attack (Dino)

- Kingdoms Advent Calendar (2010)