WesternOutlaw

Train Art

traintech1.jpg

tedblaylockupwardpull.jpg

I was just wondering if any of you fellow train fans are into train artwork -paintings, drawings, or even real-life images?

I discovered a new train artist (new to me) who does a lot of steam train art. His name is Ted Blaylock. I found a great image by him over the weekend for my home office/computer room. I'd love to decorate the room with train artwork.

For those of you into train art, do they inspire you to build LEGO Trains?

<ramble>I would definately say that photographs are a great source of inspiration for my building. I think there is a difference between photos and art though. I don't think you could really get details and things from paintings as they may not be completely accurate, but then again some paintings are accurate, and you might not even want a completely accurate train anyway. Sure, some photography could be classified as art, but how many details of a train are you going to get from a silhouette in the sunset or something? I think it is a bit too broad of a question to ask if I use paintings etc. as inspiration for MOCs, I think I just use any sort of media depending on if I like the look of it or not.</ramble>

EDIT: I just saw the image in your post TheBrickster, and I suppose that is a different matter, that image could certainly inspire a diorama.

EDIT: I just saw the image in your post TheBrickster, and I suppose that is a different matter, that image could certainly inspire a diorama.

Yes - I mainly meant paintings, but I'm sure other types of art, as well as mechanical drawings of locomotives could provide a lot of inspiration as well.

Yes - I mainly meant paintings, but I'm sure other types of art, as well as mechanical drawings of locomotives could provide a lot of inspiration as well.

I'm currently using a book of technical drawings, along with photos, and refering to other builders Mocs to build a German steam train. Paintings not so much, as they tend to romantisize things too much and as Cpt Zuloo points out the details are insufficient for prototype work.

I have a number of 'coffee table books' on trains that I repeatedly look to when building. I also use a lot of internet photo sites that contain train images. I can't say I have ever turned to a painting, such as the one you posted, for inspiration but it's an interesting idea...especially for the development of a diorama. Good thought there!

-Dave

Paintings in general do not show a lot of detail, but they do show the feel and energy of the moment.

I love paintings for what they are, a view of that moment, nobody remembers detail out the back of their head right?

So yes, paintings are inspiring, to get the mood, the remembrance of a moment or to get the feel of a diorama.

But as for building, I rather rely on pictures and technical drawings.

HA :laugh: !!!

I actually have a 1,000 peice puzzle (Never completed it though :grin: ). Its not a steam train though, but a yellow and silver Rio Grande #5771 with one engine, a B-unit, and three coaches. It is running on top of a low stone bridge perched above a rushing river with some sort of fisherman-cowboy-guy in the foreground and in the backround the beautiful Sierra Mountains. The backround looks like the one in your picture, minus all the fog and snow.

Although this stuff might be tricky to recreate in LEGO form though. I am probably guessing that the train and (if you have one) foreground would be minifig scale while the backround is microscale.

PS: I am trying to find the picture on the web and post it.

Edited by Brickstarrunner

Its not really the paintings i find interesting it more the adverts that used to be all over Britian for all those fast steam services, for example:

http://gatf.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/tf...w=470&h=592

http://www.travelpostersonline.com/ekmps/s...lways-379-p.jpg

http://www.cvphm.org/release/Dscn6358.jpg

http://www.culture24.org.uk/asset_arena/9/...9/v0_master.jpg

thanks cb

traintech1.jpg

tedblaylockupwardpull.jpg

I was just wondering if any of you fellow train fans are into train artwork -paintings, drawings, or even real-life images?

I discovered a new train artist (new to me) who does a lot of steam train art. His name is Ted Blaylock. I found a great image by him over the weekend for my home office/computer room. I'd love to decorate the room with train artwork.

For those of you into train art, do they inspire you to build LEGO Trains?

I have two Ted Blaylock pictures beside my bed in my room. One is of a RG&S train puffing through some snow. And the other is that very same picture.

Edited by efullner