Sign in to follow this  
Jack Bricker

Steaming hot water hurts bricks?

I haven't heard this before but I could see it happening. Heating the bricks in water will most likely make the plastic more malible and prone to reshaping. The bricks may reshape themselves a little and make them less 'clutchy'.

I see it as a possibility but not very likely. Water from a tap usually doesn't get quite hot enough to do that kind of damage, although prolonged exposure could cause this.

I'd suggest using warm water adn some soap, no need to scorch your bricks.

Any heat that is more than normal may cause the bricks to warp slightly. If they do warp there is a possibility to lose their clutching power or not align properly. The best way to clean bricks is with warm water, not steaming hot.

If I recall correctly, in the instructions of my 4025 Fire Boat, it said not to put it in water hotter than 40 degrees Celsius.

Edit: I recalled correctly :wink:

Edited by Rick

I think it would be safer to wash them if the bricks aren't connected together. The connection points are under stress and could deform if the plastic is soften under heat.

It's possible to have water from the hot tap be close to boiling (100°C for any Americans in the audience) depending on thermostat setting in the water heater, or the plumbing/heating arrangement used.

That's significantly higher than the recommended 40°C. However, there is a simple way to test for approximately that temperature. Human body temperature is about 37°C so if the water feels warm to the touch, it is higher than 37°C. So really you do not want to wash Lego in very hot water (although obviously one can assume the 40°C is conservative as Lego want to make sure they can't be held to account for damaged bricks).

If I recall correctly, in the instructions of my 4025 Fire Boat, it said not to put it in water hotter than 40 degrees Celsius.

Edit: I recalled correctly :wink:

What kid is going to be playing in water over 104 degrees Fahrenheit? :tongue: I don't think that high of a temperature is necessary to clean your bricks. I wouldn't do it to be safe. :wink: You could put the bricks in a mesh bag and then put them in a washing machine. Hot and soapy water has done fine too.

It will mess up your bricks. It even says on some Lego boxes that you shouldn't put them in water hotter than 40 degrees Celcius.

The reason I was asking was that there was a Skull Eyes Schooner on ebay that had been washed in steaming hot water. I was very hesitant to buy it because I had heard that hot water can damage the parts and I then decided to bring it up on the forum. Thank you for your inputs. I decided to buy two imperial flagships instead and I am very happy with them.

Yep it's true. Never try to clean dusty bricks with hot water. It makes the bricks expanding a bit so they don't exactly fit on eachother anymore.

Just use some common water with a little bit soap instead. Too much soap isn't good either I think.

Yea it hurts them a lot. I use luke warm water while I clean my bricks. I avoid stickers at all costs!