Sign in to follow this  
gylman

Ideas for future tecnnic projects

OK, as has been correctly stated, it is a bit puzzling why TLC makes so many forklifts, cranes, 4x4 cars, helicopters and motorcycles in their Technic line. Surely there is more that can be done you say!

But, the more I think about it, the more I find it hard to come up with practical ideas. It may not be as simple as we think.

So, let's open up the suggestions.

Try to keep the suggestions reasonable

-not insanely expensive

-Technic, not Mindstorms and not Bionicle and not Modelteam. That means: emphasis on function, no robotics, and no complex Rahi (lovely as they may be).

-something that would sell

NO: cranes, helicopters, motorcycles, pickup trucks and cars, forklifts, backhoes or front loaders, or any other typical items I've forgotten about.

There's nothing wrong with suggesting something you've seen on Brickshelf (but it has to be affordable and of general interest, not a knitting machine or a pneumatic hexapod).

Who knows, maybe the designers at TLC, about to design yet another crane for 2008, will see this thread and use our ideas!

I'll start things off:

Garbage truck: It has the usual engine, HOG steering, and main cabin. BUT:

Main Model: back loading garbage, complete with hydraulics to move and store the stuff internally once the outer holder is full

Second model: front loading truck, with hydraulic arms to lift a bin overhead and dump inside.

Some sort of emptying mechanism (turning your truck upside down does not count).

Any others??

Garbage truck:  It has the usual engine, HOG steering, and main cabin. BUT:

Main Model: back loading garbage, complete with hydraulics to compress the stuff internally once the outer holder is full

Second model: front loading truck, with hydraulic arms to lift a bin overhead and dump inside. 

Some sort of emptying mechanism  (turning your truck upside down does not count).

Any others??

Awesome idea. I have been less than impressed with the variety of models avalible recently in the Technic line. I love Technic's complexity and the functions the offer. As for new models I have been waiting the Fire Truck Technic model due to be out sometime this year! :-D Though even the Fire Truck is often a made in to to many Lego sets. A garbage truck would be very nice. I would also like to see a realistic looking utility truck such as this one:

SCP5000mod.jpg

Even this truck might fall under the "crane" type but I think it would be a nice model with cool functions. It would have to be much more realistic than that cab/tree loader thing they have out now.

As for an ORIGINAL model I would like to see a Challenger 2 tank model, with working turret, tread, etc. This is very unlikly to even cross Lego's mind when considering a new Technic but it would be awesome! ;)

Challenger-2E.jpg

Oh, and that new Black Cat take-off Heavy Duty tow truck looks increadible! It looks huge for $115 US.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT!

LegoBMW

I like the tank idea, as do many others, but of course it will never happen. :(

We should not restrict ourselves to vehicles. The technic 8094 set was very original.

Lots of clever ideas, and the gearing that made the second model work was the most complex of any official Technic model I have ever seen.

Hmm.....

This is a tough one. Before i give my sugjestions on new sets, looks at the current ones.

Cranes, 4x4's, various construction equpiment, cars, and varouis aircraft seem to be what make up techinc. But if you look on brickshelf these seem to be some of the most popular items to moc. Cranes being on the top off the list. In my opinion techinc really seems to fit the construction theme the best, so why stop? Buti do see what your talking about. Somthing different would be welcomed. So here it goes...

I'm going to cheat and offer a few differnt car, and construction idea's.

One thing i'd like to see are some models of actual cars on the road today.

A few examples....

1- Ford Mustang

2-Dodge Viper

3-Chevy Corvette

These might work better as model team,or designer sets, buti t worked for the Ferrari Enzo, so why not these?

One thing i haven't seen offered from TLC in a long while has been a tracked bulldoser.

Maybe somthing modeled after a Catapilar D10 with a ripperon the back would be cool.

Though i already built a custom trailer for 8836, I think somthing that lego has been lacking latley in there techinc sets have been truck and trailer combo. Somthing like 8872 would be nice, but with a bulldoser instead of a forklift.

Thats all i can think of for now. I'll think about it a bit more and see what else i can come up with.

The truck its self

How about a set of this monstrosity...

26611563_25f6ca271a.jpg

I could see it having many adjustable components, maybe even a motorized buzzsaw *twisted* .

I think they could sweeze all that down to a set around $100.

OMG! :o What the heck is that thing?

I remember reading about the world's large machine - a crane / earth mover of some kind, that was obsolete and disassembled somewhere in the US a few years ago. What that it?

Let me speak for everyone when i say STAR WARS III sets. Come on at least a Grievous with spring loaded (extra ;) ) arms like one of his toys.

That will do. >-|

OMG! :o What the heck is that thing?

I remember reading about the world's large machine - a crane / earth mover of some kind, that was obsolete and disassembled somewhere in the US a few years ago. What that it?

Thats a minning machine. I remember seeing that on TV on Mega Machines. Its the worlds biggest minning shovel. If i remeber correctly thats when they were moving it to another minning site over 60 miles away.

As for an ORIGINAL model I would like to see a Challenger 2 tank model, with working turret, tread, etc. This is very unlikly to even cross Lego's mind when considering a new Technic but it would be awesome! ;)

Challenger-2E.jpg

Iv'e always heard this from everyone. What would be wrong with TLC making army vehicles? I don't see any harm in making a tank, or even a Humvee? I don't think the argument that its would be to contriversial would stand, so what gives? I think a Challenger 2 tank would be sweet, and a military Humvee, or the civilan hummer would be nice as well. I know they would have to get licensing for the hummer, but the tank could be made without a problem!!

How about a set of this monstrosity...

I found a moc of this on brickshelf here

looks quite impressive.

As for other ideas how about more space ideas I would like to see a lunar rover as used on the moon landings, lots of scope for robot arms

I like the tank idea, as do many others, but of course it will never happen. :(

We should not restrict ourselves to vehicles. The technic 8094 set was very original.

Lots of clever ideas, and the gearing that made the second model work was the most complex of any official Technic model I have ever seen.

I love electronics in Lego.

I'd like to see a motorized, pnumatic Rock'em Sock'em robots type thing.

And with controllers that look similar to modern videogame controllers, not the one or two button boring stuff. You know, so they could at least sway to the left or right to dodge.

This would have served the 2001 Bionicle line well, as the intended play feature was popping off their masks after blows to the head.

(The rahi KIND of tried to eecute this function, but meh.)

Not much into technic but maybe that is good as it would allow for fresher ideas. :-D

Not in any order or preference

Gundam classic type of set or a Mech warrior type mech. Neither of which really are exo force, something more complex with a better stability and mechanical build, secondary model could be the the other style

Steam engine with coal car. Not made to work with LEGO trains but as stand alone models with plenty of pneumatic parts and churning wheels, secondary could be a smaller pump cart and a small platform.

A jet, military preferably with retacting wings and landing gear. If not military maybe something similar. A good secondary would be a an older plane like the redbaron.

A Rube machine. Something along the lines of the ball works that people have been making for a while now. Different energy changes and motions, plenty of moving parts and it could supply enough parts to make your own versions of it.

A lift bridge. Any bridge could work but building a lift bridge that would require pulleys and tons of gears to operate. It would need to be somewhat larger and be able to lift completely vertically. Secondary model could be a crane.

A clock. A working clock that would not keep time perminantly but it would be able to keep time as long as it was continually being activated every hour or so. Secondary could be a smaller traditional cuku clock.

Note: These are not real sets, just my ideas.

General Grievous: $19.99

Build the leader of the droid army using the Lego Technic system! Fight off your enemies with arms that split so Grievous can hold four lightsabers! Display this fearsome menace in awesome poses, with SUPER ARTIICULATION! Eyes light up! Lightsabers Glow in the dark! Stands "12 inches tall! Includes four glow in the dark lightsabers (Blue 2x, Green 2x) and a cloth cape.

Death Star Gunner: $19.99

The feared Death Star owes a fair amount of its power to the feared Death Star Gunners! With SUPER ARTICULATION and a blaster, this trooper can do it all, weather he is blowing a up Princess Leia's Homeworld, destroying a Rebel cruiser, or just blasting away at Rebel invaders, you don't want to meet him in an alley! Inlcudes moving antenna and blaster.

Clone Commander: $29.99

Use this special set and build anyone of these Clone Commanders: Bly, Cody, Bacara or Neyo. Inlcudes two blaster hand guns, SUPER ARTICULATION, two waistcoats, two holsters, two blaster pistols, and an blaster rifle, this trooper can do it all.

These would be even more movie accurate than the old technic mega-figs.

A clock. A working clock that would not keep time perminantly but it would be able to keep time as long as it was continually being activated every hour or so. Secondary could be a smaller traditional cuku clock.

LEGO could make a wall socket to power functions plug quite easily although the different types of plugs in different country's would cause trouble.

What would be wrong with TLC making army vehicles?

make clocks, not war.

personally, i'd like to see some practical applications. things with a scietific aspect. maybe a telescope/microsope, a balance scale, a simple clock even. stuff like that, with an emphasis on the Six Simple Machines.

you know.... edumacational.

KEvron

Edited by KEvron