Sign in to follow this  
tomie satoshi

LEGO BRICK DICTIONARY

United lego fans, we should take Lego culture on the higher stage.

Storage topics and other similar are very usefull, but how can we storage bricks without knowing their names?

For example:

you and your friend are building some lego idea and, in some moment, you say: ''hey, could you please pass me the..., well you know that brick with sharp edges, one, that is 4 spaces wide and... (you get the idea)''.

Why not? It will be fun making the Brick dictionary, and who knows what can we discover new.

Example:

lego1.jpg - can we name it:

LEGO Classic 4, or

Klasik 4, or

(just) Klasik, Classic, or

we can name it- 2 x 4 high, or

4 x 2 high, or

4 duble high...

Or we can name it- Josh, Tom, Bricker, Cony, or something else...

We could insert colours like special notification...

Possibilities are endless...

First we should decide on what language will Dictionary be.

Danish?

English?

French?

Other?

After that imprtant decision, every country could pick someone to translate on thier language, but the first Dictionary must be international and he must be accepted (so when speakers of two different languages could understand during their construction).

This is very important idea, and every decisionthat we make should be confirmed by other members of Lego fans.

Best wishes and happy New Year,

Tomie Satoshi

I usually name the brick by it´s dimensions, or, if there exist, the commonly used name for the brick (cheese slopes, jumper plates etc). For example; "Can you pass me the 2x4 brick?", or "Could you please give me some cheese slopes?"

Naming all bricks would be hard, as there are many hundred, maybe thousend different pieces. To memorize 1000 names... well, I´d rather get the brick I need myself. :tongue:

It´s an interesting idea though, and it might work with more commonly used pieces.

If we should make a dictionary, I would strongly suggest to make it in English, as that´s the most common language on the internet. Almost everyone understands English.

Edited by Dennimator

The name of this topic is wrong. It should be Bricktionary. :wink::grin:

As for the language, I'd say Danish, as it's where LEGO is from. Of course, they'd offer translated versions.

Why can't we just use the 'official' (maybe not official, but...) BrickLink Catalouge names?

I usually do that...

I rarely build amongst other people, so I just imagine the brick in my head when I need it. :grin:

Why can't we just use the 'official' (maybe not official, but...) BrickLink Catalouge names?

I usually do that...

I rarely build amongst other people, so I just imagine the brick in my head when I need it. :grin:

Maybe not official, but Brickset, Peeron and Bricklink use it, so it's official enough for me! :classic:

Yeah, I'd call it by its dimension and its type. "Pass the 2x4 Brick!" "Can you hand me that 2x2 plate?" "I need you to get out that bucket of 2x2 tiles and 1x1x2 slopes, alright?"

Though I'd rather say cheese piece to someone rather than its complicated name.

Maybe not official, but Brickset, Peeron and Bricklink use it, so it's official enough for me! :classic:

Exactly my point.

Although I sometimes use terms such as 'cheese slope' or simply 'plupp'. :grin: