Sign in to follow this  
Sisco

What is the funniest things you have heard said about Lego?

When I was buying the Battle of Endor last fall the cashier lady said: "I see a lot of grown men buying these"

One more thing has come to my mind.

When someone visited my house and saw my pirate ships on a shelf, he asked me: "Is this glued?"

Now, while I have occasionally seen several glued Lego creations in my life, this still seemed pretty funny to me...

Edited by Dreamweb

One more thing has come to my mind.

When someone visited my house and saw my pirate ships on a shelf, he asked me: "Is this glued?"

Now, while I have occasionally seen several glued Lego creations in my life, this still seemed pretty funny to me...

That reminds me, I remember someone telling me that they have to glue LEGO sets for their kid because the kid gets frustrated when they play with it and it falls apart. It made me snicker.

"You loon!"

(imagining it in Cornish accent) :laugh:

My lovely Aunty also said something un-intendedly funny too. I was showing my Uncle The Lego Book when they came to dinner the other week and while he got very excited to see all the sets he had had (HE HAD THE BLOOMIN' YELLOW CASTLE!!! AND SOLD IT!!!)

Blimey, you make me feel old.... I've still got the box!!

When I was buying the Battle of Endor last fall the cashier lady said: "I see a lot of grown men buying these"

:laugh::laugh:

I've given up telling them it's for my nephew/godson etc. My friend has a youngster but he's only Duplo age. :hmpf:

when someone called them 'LEGOS' :hmpf_bad:

i looked them in the eye, laughed at them then asked them to leave.

Same here. 8D "Legos"

It killed me when on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? that they wrote "LEGOs". I believe the question was regarding Brickcon. It went something like "What product is Brickcon for?"

That reminds me, I remember someone telling me that they have to glue LEGO sets for their kid because the kid gets frustrated when they play with it and it falls apart. It made me snicker.

This killed a small part of me :tongue: . Every Lego gluing is two more unMOCable bricks. :cry_sad:

I type Legos when I'm lazy. Which is always. I don't even capitalize the whole thing, since that'll require me to keep "shift" held down or hit caps lock before and after. That's a lot of extra work to convey very little more information! There's no point in typing a whole other word just to be pedantic. When I have to refer to them as individual piece types, I'll cut out the "Lego" and just call them bricks, rods, beams, etc.

I think of it like this. Xerox is a brand, as well as a verb. Xeroxing pretty much means photocopying with a Xerox-brand photocopier (trademark laws prohobit me to write that it'd apply to all photocopiers, though most people use it as a synonym for photocopying). If I don't need to say Xerox photocopying to get my point across, then I certainly don't need to say Lego pieces.

Hey, it's a good set.

I remember once in Spanish class, we were discussing what toys we played with as kids, and my teacher was trying to remember Lego. She described it as "those flat diamonds that stick together" or something along the lines of that. When I finally figured out what she meant, I was cracking up. :laugh:

Another time, this really mean guy who everyone hates laughed at me because I "still played with Lego". I then pointed out that I run a Bricklink store and make more money than he does. He shut up. My business-oriented friend said he "was proud".

In the LEGO store in Orlando, Mom talking to son: "But honey, you have to put this one together... " :sick:

:laugh:

That reminds me of a time in Wal-Mart, and this kid was in the Lego isle looking at the star wars sets. I went over there and asked him if he was going to get one. He said '"Nah, I hate putting stuff together"'.

I just walked away, muttering to myself.

Very funny.

Last Fall, I bought about 400$ of Lego Star Wars sets for the 10 years anniversary. And when the big boxes came by the post, at my home, my mother looked surprised and I said to her:

"I hope you're not too desperate that I'm addicted to Lego."

Then she answered:

"I prefer to see you spending your money on Lego than spending your money on drugs!"

Funny isn't it?

I think of it like this. Xerox is a brand, as well as a verb. Xeroxing pretty much means photocopying with a Xerox-brand photocopier (trademark laws prohobit me to write that it'd apply to all photocopiers, though most people use it as a synonym for photocopying).
(Emphasis by me.)

Just as a point of interest, that's what is referred to as a 'genericized trademark', which is like how 'Kleenex' is synonymous with 'tissue', and any refrigerator can be referred to as a 'Fridge', whether it was made by Frigidaire or somebody else. As I understand it, the reason TLG made such a push for the 'proper' use of 'Lego' (notes in the catalogs and whatnot) was to prevent the genericizing of 'Lego' in the face of the proliferation of the clone brands in the 90s. Another fun fact: the built in spell checker in the Firefox browser recognizes 'lego' (without capitalization) as a typo. :tongue:

On topic, I've got two. The first is from the website It Made My Day:

I was entertaining a group of 5-year-olds during an Indiana Jones theme week at a day camp when I asked them if anyone knew who Indiana Jones was. One said,
Edited by JayDuck

I'm thankful I read this. I was unaware that I was wrongfully using and spelling the word LEGO. I'll do my best to work on that. I do know one thing. I'm hooked!!!

I dont know how funny it is but its kinda neat.

I was walking down the street comming back from a LEGO club meet carrying the red airplane from the new airport and a MOD of the new passenger plane turned into a corporate jet and some random person (mother and kid IIRC) asked me about it. I ended up pointing them to a sale at a store not too far away (buy 2 get one free)

Not sure if this counts, exactly, but in the same vein as "Legos." Throughout their Lego Games range TLG refers to the "buildable Lego Dice:" a cardinal sin among gamers. "Dice" is plural, the singular form is "die."

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?...cn=595&d=70

... funny, I'm just using that page as an example, but reading it, it lists "AWARD WINNER" among the contents. I suppose that's technically accurate, but... okay.

The following quote wins automatically for the stupidest thing ever said. I found it on lego universe gamefaqs message boards.

do they even sell real lego anymore?? something i can touch? physically?

Last night I was trying to explain to my friend I had a bad day at work and I lost an auction on Ebay.

"What were you bidding on?"

Some bits for my train set

"I didn't know you had got a train set, what Hornby one is it?"

No, it's a Lego one!

"Are you sure Lego make train sets?"

SLAP!!

And today I got the opposite comment from one of my colleagues whilst talking about her son being addicted to Xbox games and her other son being a party animal

"At least you have your photography, bikes and Lego"

:grin:

I get the "gift receipt" one all the time. The other funny one is when I'm buying a set in a local retailer (not Lego store, they know me there) and I have my daughter with me. It's happened a few times where the lady (or dude) behind the counter will say "Is she old enough for this?" while looking at my 3 year old daughter. I usually just smile and nod and go on my way with a giggle in my heart.

As for the Lego vs legoes debate. I say "Lego." I was brought up by a very proper English mother who would turn over in her grave if she heard me misspeak (although I do it all the time). The two that erk me the most though (as the whole "legos" thing isn't THAT big a deal for me. Say what you want to, it's YOUR hobby) is when I moved up here to the Chicago area. One: Calling soda "pop." A pop is a noise that soda makes. You don't call a car a "vroom" nor a cockroach a "crunch." The other is "Pass me the scissor." Notice the lack of S on the end. One wouldn't say "I'm going to put on my pant."

Now that we've gone through all that, I think I'm going to go out in to the wilderness and try to find a bunch of moosessseses.

~Chris.

Now that we've gone through all that, I think I'm going to go out in to the wilderness and try to find a bunch of moosessseses.

~Chris.

Awww c'mon it is Meese! :hmpf: Everybody knows that. :tongue:

On topic: I haven't really heard anyone say anything funny about LEGO, I was talking to one of my mother friends the other day and was a little hesitant to say what my biggest hobby was, when I managed to say it, the lady looked at me really funny and said in a very sarcastic way "An adult playing with toys? What a freak!" Then laughed and started to say that it was very very cool and that LEGO is still awesome after all these years. It made me feel very dumb for not owning my hobby as I usually do. LEGO ON!