Ashi Valkoinen

MOCs: Models of trains running in Hungary

26 minutes ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Yes, those gaps will be filled with cheese slopes. LDD won't allow to place them there, because as I found two cheese slopes facing each other result in 2.6 plates width (a little more than one stud which is 2.5 in plates), but this method of stressing work fine in reality. Most of the cheese slope mosaics use the same dimensions as the "smallest" unit. The upper part of missing yellow cheese slopes will be filled with 1×2×2/3 slope (double), since there is no stud next to driver's cab's window to put it on.

You are right about bogies, they are the weak point of almost all of my models, I prefer to keep them clean since these trains run many real kilometres on shows, I simply don't like when trains derail on parts they lost on previous loop. I wish I could build a framework around bogies which are strong enough to resist forces awaking when bogies enter sharp curves and points.

Ah yeah. I'm not so much into LDD, have started 2 or 3 projects but nothing overly complicated.

Well, that's a valid point for the bogies. No problem to me, as I do like those old style trains of the 9V area most and tend to keep my builds as simple as possible. Though I have other reasons to do that :wink:

Still, your point of lacking bogie details is valid as well, I'll try to design something that fits the model and my expectations about not being so fragile. :)

Hopefully this train will be finished this year or in the first months of 2018.

And for today I'll post about a train I posted about in 2014. Since 8W trains cost a lot (each of my trains are working), it took 3 years to collect parts and finish, today I received the last missing 60 green seat parts.

I'd like to introduce the brick-built version of Hungarian BVmot (nickname: "Samu", 434 series) train, which is a four-car electric motor unit designed for long distance (InterCity) travel in 1994. Only three of them were built due to financial reasons, however they could have been the base of Hungarian InterCity travel. Each train consists of four cars - a 2nd motor car, a 1st class middle car, a 2nd class middle car and a 2nd class driver car.

img_6772_cut_sm.png

The motor car and the driver car was challenging, the angular patterns (orange-white, white-blue, blue-yellow) took lot of cheese slopes, but the designed I dreamed about in LDD worked fine in reality. I used quite lot of SNOT around doors - they are built mostly in SNOT, but the positioning and size of train door window required some SOT parts inside the SNOT design.

Closer photo of motor car:

img_6790_sm.png

Other challenge was offered by the middle cars - they have the same length but the 2nd class has 11, the 1st class car has 10 large windows n each side. I used regular blue train windows on 2nd class car, but a different solution was needed for 1st class car - I could not fit a simple tile between each window, because they are 9 plates high and one 1×4 tile put between with SNOT is 10 plates high... So I decided to throw train window and design something having approx. the same size. It resulted in SNOT transparent bricks and plates, with separation of 1×3 SNOT brick. The top of the windows were closed with half-plate thing brackets (9 plate height of normal windows = 1 tile, 7,5 plates height of 3 SNOT studs, 0,5 plates height of bracket.

With this technique every unique window separation could be done in LEGO. Just make sure you push everything strongly together, it is quite hard to fit!

img_6799_sm.png

0_img_6784_sm.png

The train is driven with two PF train motors, controlled with PF IR v2 (v1 simply won't make it move on curves). The train is able to work properly on standard track geometry (including points after points and 180 degree turnbacks), however it would look better on custom large radius curves.

In the future I plan to built indoor lights and front/tail lights as well (total of 14 PF leds will be used for this), but because of the cost of LEDs and extension cables it will take couple of months.

The LDD-design is available to be downloaded from this folder:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=560755

Comments and critics, as always, welcome.  

All the SNOT work is just great, good job on the nose of the train:wub:

The BVmot is a nice train. All of your trains look very realistic. Great collection!

Thanks for both of you. Hopefully I can shot a video of the train going around in two weeks. :)

Some friends of mine and me assembled a long radius curve loop last weekend. There was no exhibition, just some fun playing with our long, 8W trains, and due to the lack of the right size room and thanks to the good weather we decided to go outdoors. Here are some photos of my trains on these curves built from straight track pieces, my 8W trains really like these turns. With coaster's future 9V R120 points I can redesign my exhibition layout as well.

My latest creation MÁV BVmot train:

00_1_bvmot.png

MÁV Siemens Taurus locomotive with some passenger cars:

01_taurus.png

ÖBB Railjet trainset:

00_1_rj.png

I took some photos during the last weeks, trying to capture my LEGO trains with their REAL sisters.

To take this photo with Ganz V63 locomotive was quite easy, the only thing I had to do is wait next to a busy line until it appears with a freight train:

0v63_lego_and_real_sm.png

Railjet train wasn't a hard task to find, but I had only one hour to go out for the photo and the first place where I planned to take the photo was unreachable, someone blocked with huge rocks the old road leading there. I had no plan "B" for this so I quickly decided to go to the nearest train stop, but railjets do not stop there and that stop was in shadows by the time I got there. And ÖBB sent this train with reversed locomotive, showing it's black end on the front and braking the nice red color pattern going through on the side of this train:

00_0_rj.png

The hardest photo was my new BVmot train, there were only three sets of them produced, BVmot 001 was stored at an engine shed, BVmot 002 was stored far away from me and BVmot 003 ran on daily routine, but not with her cars. Fortunately the guys at the engine shed were kind to let me in for a photo - BVmot 001, one of her middle cars (2nd class) and her driving car (Bmxtz 001) was present, so I could take this photo:

00_0_img_0167.jpg

I haven't stopped building train, I'm currently working on the Siemens Vectron locomotive of GySEV / ROeEE railway company, and the FLIRT3 train of the same company. FLIRT3 won't be the only Stadler vehicle under contruction, the 6-carriage MÁV Stadler KISS should be ready until the end of 2018!

Nice one, even if a bit blurry, but the idea and your determination is awesome :laugh::thumbup:

Great idea to photo the models with their prototypes, and what an adventure it turned into. Excellent story.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:18 PM, Capparezza said:

Nice one, even if a bit blurry, but the idea and your determination is awesome :laugh::thumbup:

Yeah, the two above photo was taken when the real thing was moving in the background (freight trains rarely stop at tracks with platforms, and even when they stop, the locomotive surely won't be next to the platform, on the other hand I was going for open lines, not train stations :) ), and by the time both the V63 and Railjet arrived it get darker and my photo machine needed more than 1/500 sec to take the photo.

Last weekend I shot couple of videos about my finished FLIRT trains - finally at last the yellow-green colored train got an SBrick, so now the three differently colored EMU can work nicely together. I tested them in different configurations by running, and I found that even a non-working motor unit can be pulled with a working one or with two working ones in "sandwich" configuration. Good to know, if the batteries die in one of them, they can still be pulled to the next station for changing the batteries inside.

Fantastic consist! Your improved cabin really makes a striking impression. How many electric motors and battery boxes does each unit have?

1 hour ago, Beck said:

Fantastic consist! Your improved cabin really makes a striking impression. How many electric motors and battery boxes does each unit have?

Thank you. It was worth redesigning it, but truly said I'm still thinking about how it could be improved. I will never finish this project. :D

Each motor units has one big (Technic, AA) battery box (I prefer these because of the bigger capacity and the fact that they don't turn automatically OFF), an SBrick is plugged on the battery box. Three PF train motors (bogies 2,3,4) are under each train, the remaining three outputs of SBrick are reserved for front tail light ("A" and "B" end of train) and indoor lights.