Ashi Valkoinen

MOCs: Models of trains running in Hungary

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The new cars (and now completed train) looks fantastic. Then the shot with the slip switches is great too, I really like your club's layout but I thought guys were all 9v

Currently we are on the edge of great decisions. While switching to non-compressed cars we reached the 72 studs long traincars, and by this time TrixBrix came up with their nice points - especially thos double-slips. We operate a permanent exhibition from December, 2017, and we find 9V motors are definitely not for this task - mostly the power pickup parts get broken quite quickly, so many 9V locos were switched to PF (AA battery box + PF IR v2 + two PF train motors and this configuration does the job) and it wasn't problem anymore to have plastic-only tracks. While the permanent exhibitions has many plastic tracks now, the layouts for one-weekend events still have they R40-based 9V tracks with 9V traffics on them, just to keep our stations accessable for the only guy who owns 9V (but he is also thinking about developing a WiFi-controlled system on his own for his own trains). If FX-bricks succeeds with their brand new 9V tracks and after S32 straights and R72 curves the P40L and P40R points and R104 curves appear then surely we keep the 9V on very long term - for the look and and for the possible future DCC-options.

1 hour ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

If FX-bricks succeeds with their brand new 9V tracks and after S32 straights and R72 curves the P40L and P40R points and R104 curves appear then surely we keep the 9V on very long term - for the look and for the possible future DCC-options.

Very good reasoning, as far as I am concerned.

Best
Thorsten

On 2/25/2021 at 12:36 AM, Toastie said:

Very good reasoning, as far as I am concerned.

And think about just the look of metal tracks! I don't use 9V train motors anymore, just battery-operated trains with different controls (PF IR, SBrick, RC!), and even if I shouldn't have think about compatibility to others guys owing still 9V I'd like to stick to metal tracks, just because of the look and added realism it offers. I'm glad that FX just started the buisness in time, finally I can get rid off the R40 9V points Iuse at my train station and start for something more realistic, keeping the metal tracks as well.

Last Monday I was out in the garden to shoot some photos of my MOC trains - I do owe ten almost completed trainsets, six of them are closed electric motor units (4 FLIRTs, 1 Talent, 1 KISS), at this day I took out my trains consisting of locomotives and traditional train cars.

1. All of them together:

26871033_b5b5609a0666ed9315cf32ff56e8ea2

2. All of them together, 2:

26871027_8923b2a5e1779c00450ecf13c3b476f

3. MÁV Ganz V63 with 3 intercity cars. In this case, the train cars are proportionally sized in 1:45 scale, but many details undeveloped - underneath the chassis and bogies needs a lot of work, including taking the necessary photos of the traincars.

26871035_8daae662d038feebcd7c9de867ae330

4. MÁV Ganz-Hunslet BVmot: a bit exception, because it is an electric motor unit, but it could be separated two four cars, middle cars can be used in other trains, too, and the EMU could be lengthened up to four middle cars, including any other compatible cars as well. She is quite well finished, all the details and indoor stuff is right where it should be, however I need to fix the little bend of the motor car.

26871029_eeba4f68461a16e6191e2f00ac00006

5. My latest full trainset - inland GySEV intercity train with GySEV Vectron locomotive, two of the RaaberCity cars and one older, Y-waggon in the colours of GySEV. Greens and yellows do really cheer up the colour palette of my trains, dominated mostly by white, blue and red. The Vectron will need one plate of height removed overall (will be hard to do but necessary for better proportions), the passenger cars are really finished.

26871031_fcc3878856a8ee3ac915614af3624f2

6. MÁV Siemens Taurus and two ÖBB cars - an international train running between Budapest and Vienna. I'm not satisfied with the front look of the locomotive (the black part for windscreen and surroundings is really badly shaped right now), however finally I managed to get the front lights on the edge studs of the locomotive using no drilling of plates, just original LEGO-parts. The 1×2 round plate with open studs was a great help to do this. ÖBB cars miss a third one (I do own only the gray windows for it), and also they are totally missing some details underneath.

26871037_fbb563f07ae51faa94e8cd4a1129f82

Totally forgot to post about my latest LEGO MOC locomotive, the well-known Siemens Taurus loco with the colour pattern of GySEV/ROeEE railway company. While the Hungarian State Railway purchased 10 of this locos (the blue-yellow ones), at the same time GySEV bought 5 of these. After redesigning my MÁV-version for better proportions and details I looked around in my room and realised, that I did own most of the needed pieces for a GySEV version, too.

First image shows the loco from sideways - both the LEGO and the real engine. Note that all patterns are made using original LEGO-bricks, no stickers or custom 3D-printed parts were used to reproduce the pattern. It helped me a lot, that LEGO introduced the 2×2 wedge plate in green colour, too.

27106907_7f497382db47a36a9e40a372274c9de

Solution for front-tail lights - I have only a photo made of the MÁV-version, but the building techniques inside are the same - SNOT tiles, wedges connected with the thinest element, the turntable top, original LEGO lights lit up the transparent slopes using light transmitting cables. Image on left shows the headlights, image on right the tail lights in action.

27106901_27071ec92e64820aaed785b7c6acde5

Frontlights:

27106909_eb33f30808ec6b37e9ed54abdc52dc3

Tail lights:

27106905_2287252ce8c8a624ea3a252c4e144ac

With my GySEV Siemens Vectron locomotive:

27106903_841004db1341df596a3dd47634f2997

And a photo with the real thing:

27106911_24568d2afdcba06baad8a86e802b22d

Comments and ciritcs, as always, welcome. :)

Very nice as usual @Ashi Valkoinen!  I love seeing all these prototypes so accurately built.  My cousin lives in Budapest half the year, but I basically never go because they live in England the rest of the year and my house is halfway between the airport and theirs.  Hopefully I’ll go one day though - but once in the last 15 years isn’t a fantastic start.

Always amazed by the amount of details you manage to squeeze into your models, Ashi. And those light emitting cables, what a great idea. 👍👌🙌

Edited by Selander
Info added

This year was really busy getting my railway signalling and security system alive, but for the end of the year, I can present some new traincars as well.

For first, I accidentally participated OcTRAINber, when I realised, that the traincars I was planning to build at that time when the contest was announced fit the contest itself. I was quick - instead of the given two months I finished my cars before 30th of September, so in the last hours I could enter them to Brick Train Awards. And ironically I won the Best Passanger Waggon globally at BTA, but at OcTRAINber better entries were made. :)

So my OcTRAINber entry was a single, 26,4 meter long passanger car, refurbised based on new bicycle needs in Hungary. The shape didn't change too much (and maybe that's why the transformation factor was low for the judges), but the colour pattern and the insidings did a lot, and the newer colours with diagonal patterns and the usage of dark azure colour were pain to build both digitally and in real life. Fortunately both the old colour pattern and the new cars exist next to each other (in time and sometimes in the same train), so they weren't built only for the competitions, but also to extend my Hungarian fleet.

Bmx 21-05 series (behind) and Bdmpee 84-05 series (in front)

27148754_1357cc93bb4de57ea27302a8f20520d

The traincars are identical in dimensions, both have indoor lights powered from old 9V battery box, a PF extension wire and two pair of PF-ledlights. All patterns are made with original LEGO-bricks, no painting, decals were used. 

My other project was to build an InterCity car with the new IC-pattern of the Hungarian State Railway. It is quite complex with the different diagonals and narrow patterns. It becomes especially pain at the top of the sidewall where it joins the angled roof - it is impossible to build horizontal layers of 1 plates and including the angled part, too. So to close the gap between the top of the sidewall and the roof part, I used rigid 3 mm tubes, and the different colours of tubes are connected with an original LEGO-part - the metal axle for the running wheels!

27148752_e09c212dfa39f78be91ccfcab102a3a

CAF passanger car - Bpmz 20-91 series. Note the pattern on the side wall (I kept it 1 stud wide, so full interior is made) and the joint of the sidewall and the roof.

27148750_87302bc2b97a625193c5b36223dd7e6

Closeup photo of the prototype - the hose tubes are connected to the body only at the two ends of the traincar.

Your comments and critics, as always, welcome!

Hello all,

this will be my first post in 2023 - the first two and half months of this year were busy with the LEGO train hobby, preparing for a big show held last weekend, and also some of my other hobbies such as larping took my time. Now I present my latest train MOC, the Stadler Citylink (tramtrain) in the livery of MÁV-Start, the Hungarian State Railway company.

27176180_76ade8a9321095c3ed9cc5a73371eb5

Fig.1.: The tramtrain resting at my station.

This vehicle is quite interesting in real - it runs in the cities of Szeged and Hódmezővásárhely on tram tracks, powered from overhead wires, but runs as a train on train tracks between the two cities using diesel engine. Really a hybrid. The LEGO-build was really pain with this one - as a low floor tram, it has quite small wheelsets compared to my LEGO-trains, and they turn out under the tram at a very low height. Making the frames to host the wheelsets, especially the powered ones was a really nice challange to complete, keeping the white-grey colour border at the desired height.

I think, using the small rollerskate part for SNOT-ting, the gray hoses and white figure neckbracket to connect and keep the frame thing was a nice idea, but it took time to get there. As usual, handling R40 geometry was a must for me.

27176178_7869b50d3f9a5cc6dd849dca91d27b2

Fig.2.: The tramtrain on a custom made 9V crossover - the "S"-curve with a crossing inside the turn is the most difficult geometry a train can face on R40!

The vehicle is powered with two, old type 9V battery boxes, these are in placed on the roof where the real vehicle has her diesel units, the battery boxes are connected paralel with right polarity to the SBrick in the roof of the middle car using PF-extension wires. The LiPo 9V batteries I used here are quite good, giving 1000 mAh storage each, but they cut above 500 mA current drawn, it caused sometimes stops when the tramtrain went a dozen of loops around. Placing electrics to the roof allowed me full interior design.

27176186_f925a98620094b555bdf32fe0234ea9

Fig.3.: The tramtrain completed and the first photo taken - note the black 9V battery boxes in the roof (surrounded by slopes).

27176184_5778749f429c81ad869cac9f04ee970

Fig.4.: The tramtrain fully on R40 curve.

27176182_5c2b0f5903427f68d914d9a157b760d

Fig.5.: On layout.

For future I plan to add indoor lights and front/tail lights as well - but first I need to figure out, how to hide those additional cables in the roof. 

Comments and critics, as always, very welcome!

Good looking tram. Sounds like you had some interesting challenges to overcome. The guy running from Death is funny.

Really well done! Nice job on the tapered ends and it's hard to tell but it looks like there are angled sidewalls as well.

16 minutes ago, bogieman said:

Really well done! Nice job on the tapered ends and it's hard to tell but it looks like there are angled sidewalls as well.

Yeah, I totally forgot about in the post above, but yes, the walls are angled as well. The bottom is 8 wide, the top is reduced to 7.

7 hours ago, ejayb said:

Ashi, were can I follow for updates about upcoming shows in Hungary? 

Hello! We mostly share information at our blog page (mlvk.blog.hu) and I also share these at my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ashivlgaugerailway/

I will do my net show at Békéscsaba city (12-14.05.2023.)

We will have a show together (with all the lug members) in the last weekend of october in Martonvásár city.

Thank you Ashi. I'm in Kosice so I'll look out for anything between here and Budapest.

27183024_d1667a44737621f94f89b6f663c831d

27183028_90faa824907b991697b35a54c70ff20

I'm happy to present my latest creation, the ARmz passanger car of the Hungarian State Railway operator, MÁV-Start. This type of passanger cars were made in Hungary, the ARmz is a 1st class coach with a short bistro section, which can serve a limited selection of foods and drinks onboard. The LEGO-MOC meant an extra adventure to take, the angled yellow stripes (this is for the 1st class) and the colourful pattern with different angles gave me really hard task to complete. The windows are 6,5 plate tall and 4 studs wide, while the separation between two windows are 6,5 plate × 6 plate black parts - again a nice size to fit with LEGO-bricks. And of course, I like to keep the interior free of SNOT-techniques to give seat to my minifigures, so everything on the side should have been done in the depth of 1 stud and the half-plate thin part of minifigure neck bracket. As usual, no decals were used to get the patterns.

Basically my hardest limitation on the pattern is the non-existence of medium azure brackets and half-plate item - the bottom horizontal blue lines would be better to be built in 1,5 plates + 1,5 plates, while the upper ones at the angled roof part as 0,5 plates + 0,5 plates. However, I can live with this compromise, but if medium azure half-plate LEGO-parts will be available, I'll redesign the side wall to get more accuracy.

Other side of the train:

27183018_97674a7cb6f478f83e223eed8067398

Car end 1. - side 1.:

27183030_9171199a55d315117ae65adf91bb162

Car end 1. - side 2.:

27183016_d1655d7f4caa7a0106aabf2a44e0f97

Car end 2. - side 1.:

27183022_b30f66a2b64d311b96c44dc40b47d27

Car end 2. - side 2.:

27183020_e108048afb3b4e6b6fad01d2e179d8d

And this passanger car is third coach in a full consist I was working on - now with the previous inland intercity cars I can have a short train with two 2nd class cars (one for bicycle transport, too) and this 1st class car with a short bistro section.

27183026_65e59768a98c17492e553145348e5da

From left to right: IC+ ARmz, IC+ Bbdpmz, CAF Bpmz coaches and Siemens Taurus locomotive, with Hungarian State Railway livery.

This patterns cost a lot in parts and weight - the coaches consist of 1500+ parts each, interior lights with their own battery box included also. The locomotive (just as my others) works with two PF train motors, a big battery box and V2 IR receiver to have enought power to pull these cars - actually, it can pull even 9-10 cars on R104 tracks with no problem.

Terrific accomplishment to get the color scheme in all bricks/plates, no stickers, in spite of the cost in part count.

I am really happy to tell, that finally I made some photos to the album titled "LEGO and REAL" with my GySEV/ROeEE railway company FLIRT units. GySEV workers helped me to arrange a quick setup at their storage yard, where a FLIRT3 (435 series) and FLIRT (415 series) were presented for me. I redesigned my train fleet in March, 2022, but barely had time to visit the western part of Hungary where the company GySEV operates. But now!

GySEV Stadler FLIRT:
27197730_b0c1a3f5d184fd5fe1a8da7a1765902

GySEV Stadler FLIRT3:
27197726_e281a9f0aaa4473b76f3415e5acc4ad

GySEV Stadler FLIRT3 and FLIRT together!
27197728_c9507735524ef5e7cf482c4574be34d

Hope you enjoy these photos! I really enjoyed the journey taking them - and for the coupled setup unfortunately I had only half an hour, because the trains had strict schedule to arrive and leave! 

On 5/30/2023 at 3:27 AM, Ashi Valkoinen said:

GySEV workers helped me to arrange a quick setup at their storage yard,

You have more power than most lego train builders! Great work and amazing photos

On 6/1/2023 at 6:07 PM, zephyr1934 said:

You have more power than most lego train builders! Great work and amazing photos

Wow, thank you! :)

Fortunately I have good communication with the two Hungarian raiwlay companies (MÁV and GySEV), and also participated with my LEGO-trains on some of their events.

And it is not even an unique power - I summon @Sérgio to give us some fresh photos of his portugese trains! :)

Hello Everyone, today I am sharing my first rendition of a DB Stadler flirt 1, made in Lego, this is still a work in progress, so any comments, critics, or anything else is greatly appreciated. 

Here is the link to the pictures (this is the only way I could put in the pics, there is a limit on eurobricks)  Lego DB starlet flirt 1 side angle | jack bryan-jones | Flickr 

Edited by jbrickj