Ashi Valkoinen

MOCs: Models of trains running in Hungary

Making them white wasn't a hard thing to do, I added 1×1 red brick with stud on one side bricks on the red 1×1 bricks on the side, they are holding white tiles. But because of this I had to do something with the seats inside, placing them on stud 2-3 and 6-7 didn't fit anymore, I solved this problem using jumper plates and tiles with center studs. Check it on this picture:

https://img1.indafoto.hu/4/9/2269_99ef04eb612baf0e86671a5109e22154/26776107_c27188d00d799c8b1323e0364a556e7c_xl.jpg

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Hi all, I'd like to introduce my new train creation. Maybe some of you faced the Brickshelf gallery of the new train, the next Stadler FLIRT EMU, built in different colouring.

The new LEGO Stafler electric motor unit was introduced to public at the first offical display of the real train to the public, on the 19th March, 2014. Hungarian State Railway bought 42 pieces of Stadler EMU in 2013, expanding its fleet to the total of 102 FLIRTs (which is the largest fleet in Europe in one country). The new generation of hungarian FLIRTs have different colouring than the previous one, they have a blue-white pattern, with yellow doors and dark gray roof.

26776105_c52775ba5e0127d5a4aab4b4e1ddf82

It is almost similar to my red Stadler FLIRT, slight different building used on the white-blue pattern and at the front of the train. Of course, this train has direction dependent front/tail lights and indoor lights, too, using LEGO PF-LEDs.

26776103_df7c4aa0d0216a5745784766e3df918

The two Stadler FLIRTs can be coupled together, in this case the front/tail lights can be turned of between the units.

26776101_4e814fd16debc144305739299ac500e

Leave your comments here!

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Very nice! I also like the colour-scheme of the new FLIRTs.

Looks great with the old FLIRT too.

Thanks for sharing your new creation.

Did I read that correctly, your brickmodel has been unveiled at the same time as the new FLIRTs?

Yes, you are correct, I built my FLIRT a month earlier, but I was displayed to the public at the the first dipslay of the real train. :)

That must be a great honor for you to be able to work with Stadler this closely. Congratulations!

Forgot to mention, but I dig the lightning on and in the train. (fyi: the drivers cab is dark during driving)

I really had good luck with stadler, one their members have seen my very first FLIRT modell at an exhibition in 2010.

Driver's cab is dark in my train, too, the light you can see on the picture above come from the bottom front lights, their light infiltrate to the cab.

I've built a new addition to my locomotive fleet recently, the ÖBB Siemens Taurus loco. Design almost based on my previous MÁV (Hungarian State Railway) Taurus with slight changes.

26776117_0e893c9c006eaf5aba88f6d5773621f

26776115_a72d92f5dfb8f935832154d1e4bebbe

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

As I wrote couple of months before, Stadler ordered two FLIRTs from me, after delivering the two FLIRTs built for them ( http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=546856 ) I finished the yellow-green coloured GySEV/ROeEE FLIRT with motorisation and lights. This FLIRT doesn't differ from my previous one, only colours: entire side is dominated by yellow and green strips, and seats inside are not blue but gray. It was really hard to find approx 100 old light gray seats (and another 100 for Stadler's modell). Now I have three FLIRTs in total, with different colouring, two FLIRTs by Stadler and one FLIRT by them from previous "era" (different scale). Now I have to do something about power supply to 9V tracks, three FLIRTs coupled together means 12 train motors and around 12 kg-s...

Video of synchron-test for three different hungarian FLIRTs (that's the thing I'd like to make with LEGOs):

Pictures: (Folder here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=548194 )

26776113_9847e2ff5eb280e2fea658186bdb51a

26776111_b966918c7d37477c3c77e3980e3c467

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

And the last creation of mine for this year will be a simple passanger car with driver's cab. I have an intercity train with my Siemens Taurus locomotive for two years, but it caused always problems to change direction with my train. Now this problem is solved, no more going around with the loc, just simply starting to reverse direction.

26776123_c65dfb9cb30c49ad6e557765c34e209

This type of waggon were bought by MÁV (Hungarian State Railway) from Germany, one of the so called halberstadter waggons. The original red colour has been switched to the traditional blue-white colouring of MÁV, however, suprisingly the front didn't get the usual yellow colouring. These waggons are compatible with V43 3×××, TRAXX and Taurus locomotives, but unfortunately they are not used at the front of the trains by daily operation.

The original one:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AshiValkoinen/0-HungarianTrains/Waggon-3/mav_vezerlo_fazekas_attila_picture.jpg

More pictures:

26776131_ef5891ad572f699cfcee9de0f14174b

26776129_dcb8e90330f5e6197b25e98a61dadbd

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Once there was a dream about coupling all hungarian FLIRTs together. For real trains there were a triple synchron test - and now I finally did it with my LEGO FLIRTs, using two speed regulators and 230V AC adapters paralell connected to the 9V loop. The train was 4.8 metres long. \o/

26776125_3c81865c9db01801fd94cbf6c20467e

LEGO FLIRTs:

real ones:

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Cool prototype matching. How many motors were you controlling at the same time? Did you take a measurement of the electric current draw?

There are 12 train motors in the three trains, two 9V motors and two PF motors attached to them under each train. I didn't make any measurements, but if the friend comes who has instruments for it, we will do it.

I would liek to share one more hungarian track-related MOC this year, the freight tram of the Budapest Transport Limited. I built this MOC years ago, but somehow I never took pictures of it, so now I did it. The Budapest Transport bought these freight cars in the early years of the XX. century, some of them are now more than 100 years old, but they are still running. They are used to transport tram bogies between tram garages or clean the tracks when it's heavily snowing.

There is some SNOT technic used in the small tram, the whole thing is built on a 9V train motor. The pantograph is built using one string part with rounded plates on its ends.

26776127_2143034c857770fc54fa013ba043373

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

After a long time I can present finally a new creation of mine again. Maybe more than two years ago I posted here the LDD images of my RailJet train, it took two years to get all the parts while processing with paralell projects like Koncar narrow gauge tram or my FLIRT-project.

So, RailJets, I'm sure everyone knows them, especially who lives in Europe. They are running mainly in Austria, but they can enter the railway network of Germany, Switzerland, Chech Republic and Hungary as well. RailJets arrive to Budapest (capital of Hungary) from Vienna main station, München and Salzburg. Now we have RJs here in every two hour both direction, so this LEGO creation will fit with my other modern electric hungarian trains.

26776143_1a9ad59e348d420844a444e6b1dc0ff

1. This project contained an Afmpz, Bmpz/1 and Bmpz/2 waggon. I plan to extend this project in the following order: Bistro car, an another Bmpz (Economy, 2nd cass car), then Ampz (Buisness, 1st class car), then the last Bmpz car.

26776141_3a7122bf1bed87fbeb73c76059b0785

Due to my limited money resources I built in used bricks, everything I could find at home, reducing my BL-orders to the really necessary level. Now my brick-containing boxes are totally depleted, I have around 20.000 parts at home, but there can't be found any black bricks, from 1×1 to 2×8 :)

Some details: I managed to build with using plates and bricks the orange narrow strip around the door. The width of SNOT technique door is 4 plates (32 LDU) and four studs (80 LDU) which sums up to a total of 112 LDU. Since a stud is 20 LDU, and half stud is 10 LDU, with a little stress and putting the top dark red slopes on jumpers above the windows I was able to give a really solid and massive end to the cars.

26776139_658da797584b128156da01e713ce9a3

Locomotive has a built in PF-battery box, while it runs using 9V-motors. PF is for front lights, the ploarity sensitive modded PF-leds are connected to polarity-switches (showing the top of it with my finger) which enables the manual change of lights, without draining the batteries with PF-receiver.

26776137_c7be27e1b000ef5957d513bf0b011c8

The only thing I couldn't solve the B-end of the locomotive - since I'm using my old Taurus design, I can't put the narrow red and grey strip to the SNOT used on the front. I tried to paint it first since I don't like to connect plates with decals, but I don't have the real sense to do it properly - maybe I leave it dark-red and black, maybe I finish with painting, idk really, what to do with it (but no, I'm not afraid of a little paing, decal or electric mod - you could know this if you are following my topic for a while :) ).

26776135_67b05317013fcc30043c5b365fd94bb

Waggons are connected basically with 5 stud long technic thin liftarms, and the train has usual magnets on both end. I found out that using only two 9V motors on the locomotive will shorten really my motors life, especially while pushing long cars in the sharp corners, so I put one 9V motor under the driver waggon as well. If I'll have the money to extend the train, I plan to add a PF-train motor electrified from it's 9V brother.

After I finished the train, I depleted my brick mines more, and started to build the bistro car as well:

26776133_ab35bfd2f20bbd6ab1a7bddff49f328

Your critics and comments always welcome, so don't hesitate to share your thoughts.

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Excellent work again. Those doors look absolutely fabulous.

And the not completely grey stripe is not something to worry about. I had to look really hard to see what you meant. But I guess if you want to strive for perfection you want a solution anyway. And I think stickers could then be the best option. There are some really nice sticker solutions and I have hardly seen any really nice paint solution.

Great work! Everything looks perfect, and I really like the stripework on the coach-doors. My only question is: will you add some details to the motor-bogie? It looks so plain without anything :wink:

It looks quite good, my only question is, are you going to put some framework around the bogies on the engine, they look quite odd now.

Thanks for your replies.

ScotNick, UrbanErwin: yes, you are both right about motorised bogies framework, the only reason I never build this part on my trains is creating a really fragile system. I cant use the 9V motor decoration here (there is a 12V current pickup mounted on the 9V bogies to make the train work also from old 12V track, displaying the multiple voltage operation of the real thing, so there is no room for decoration frame), other solutions without using glue will be fragile. Not in the first, second, or third loop, but in the 100th one. I often faced the problem that the train lost some part from the bogie framework, and on the next loop it derailed or left the display table, so I just gave up with it. If you have suggestions, how to create one without being fragile, it would be nice to apply it on my RailJet.

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen