Ashi Valkoinen

MOCs: Models of trains running in Hungary

Really nice trains, all of them, my favourite is the Stadler Flirt and great layout...

Can't stop thinking about the catenary, so simple and effective, the way they are regularly spaced just gives them that added realism.

Really nice trains, all of them, my favourite is the Stadler Flirt and great layout...

Can't stop thinking about the catenary, so simple and effective, the way they are regularly spaced just gives them that added realism.

Thank you very much. Realism is very important to our LTC, we enjoy to build realistic train models and layout. Sometimes we do exhibitions with train modeller clubs, we run quite few original LEGO trains from sets on our display.

This type catenary is a creation of our member, Farkas Balázs ( http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?m=vbazsa ). It's really good accessory for 10-20-... pieces of track. Otherwise, we have many electric locos and motor units, simply I can't imagine them without catenary. :)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AshiValkoinen/Exhibitions/2013-11-01-KidsFest/img_3028.jpg

Very nice indeed!

Thank you!

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

"Thanks" to my morethantwoweeks illness I had time to design my new hungarian rail-related train in LEGO Digital Designer. I really hope that I can finish this train in 2013. After my modern electric motor units as Stadler FLIRT and Bombardier Talent and after my modern IC waggons I decided to design a modern train again: the ÖBB RailJet.

The whole train in LDD:

26776075_be9a5c31d08eea6ca44f257df01bd5a

At this moment I'm satisfied with the two Economy-class Bmpz waggons and the Business+Premium class Afmz car. The 1116 RailJet Taurus design is built after my Hungarian Taurus, however, I made some little upgrades to make it a better model. Fortunately I could manage the orange strips around the doors using a lot of SNOT-technique, so I don't have to use stickers around all the doors. The only place where I'll need sticker is the "B" end of the locomotive, I could not solve to continue the narrow dbg strip to the front of the loco.

Door SNOT-solution:

26776073_1aa57aa5f7a24aa4e3d123c0febad67

To make indoors authentic the following .pdf helped me a lot (it's hungarian, but figures could be used by anybody who wants to build this train):

http://vasutgepeszet...03_vegleges.pdf

Of course I could not build all seats and windows because of lenght problems. The waggons are 57 studs long, however, they have to be at least 68 studs long. During our last exhibition I faced many problems with my long passanger cars, so I decided to design my RJ to be troubleproof.

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

That's an impressive looking engine! Looking forward to see it in brick.

Some nice work, the train cars look excellent. The only thing I'd recommend is to try to get a few thumbnail photos in the post itself.

After our last exhibiton I decided to renew my train station, especially the track ballast under curves and points. The idea was to fill the baseplate between the tracks with tan bricks imitating the sand and small grail used in freshly renewed stations in Hungary. (Like this one: http://iho.hu/img/galery/130429-kelenfold.jpg )

After about 7 to 8 hours work I finished only 4 pieces of 48*48 baseplates of my station,thanks to I have used non-ideal solutions during first building because the lack of some parts.

Here it is:

26776087_22f9507a6f0e6b6e29ec1f188d9f570

I decided to remove the long curved track segment from platform four (on the right), and I have built in a straight piece of track after the point, then the curved piece. Because the straight track segment is not paralell with the main track, it is shortened by one stud. The distance between the tracks of platform 3 and 4 is 14 studs.

To solve the problem of shortening I have built in a 1×1 tile to fill the gap:

26776085_a17439d7c14513d99065dc1b9eff9cc

The distance between track segments is 2 studs, because it will be shortened on the other end. The inner rail keeps waggons from derailing, however, I don't think they will, because those tiles are perfectly fitting to the tracks, It's not problem, that the current for 9V system doesn't go through the gap, because this rail is powered from both ends (not on the picture).

I've built a small signal tower, on the top of a point-switching mechanism:

26776083_abedf289b1c7c638d4c6ee5678da59c

The point between platform 1 and 2 got motorised, because the operator section for my station is at the other end of the station. Sometimes the main track (number 2) must be cut from 9V, and I can switch the point front of me by hand, the other one by this mechanism.

Please leave your critics here, I'll add more pictures after I finished with other baseplates.

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

I was away from EuroBrick forums for two months - but fortunately I have spent this time with building my new train stations and show it at various displays in Hungary. That means I have succesfully finished it, I would like two show a couple of pictures with small descriptions.

26776081_5ff53dbc279c15cd0519f8c7a4b1c6b

1. Close view to my station. Platforms are numbered from right to left 1-4. The tracks on the right have regular distance between each other, building geometry with the "switch - straight - switch" method. The track on left are not regular, on the first end after the point comes two straight and one curve, at the other end after the point comes on curve, some straights, then curve-straight-curve part. The generated 4 stud gap is filled with one flexible track segment.

26776079_c06e029ca85cd46ab3c79739ad96744

2. Signals in front of the station. The small bridge built from "support" parts belongs to the station. Signals are working, with polarity reversals all hungarian signs (one red, one yellow, one green, yellow-yellow, yellow-green) can be displayed. The platforms have light built in, the PF-LED cable is connected to the baseplate via the blue pillars, and gets power from the connection on the edge of the baseplate (on the left side you can see it).

26776077_3bc9d3fd3057d2e8a797d7e70d088a5

3. View from the other end. You can see in the front my modified track connection.

Enjoy and please leave your comments and critics.

And a video of my Stadler FLIRT train, running on the layout:

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Looks like a challenging build to match the curves and color scheme with legos; but, you're doing a great job so far matching it to the real thing, for sure.

I'd be afraid to run mine in the snow, too. It looks cool though!

Nice platforms. But the rest around it is also very nice.

I like the track layout and great detailing there.

The small railway bridges are my favourite though.

Nice. I saw photos from Kidfest posted on Brickshelf the other day. I thought some of the trains and train station looked familiar. :classic:

Nice. I saw photos from Kidfest posted on Brickshelf the other day. I thought some of the trains and train station looked familiar. :classic:

Yes, those photos were taken by one of our LUG member, "kvp". He was only a visitor there, however, he has a great train stuff at home (why he is not on EB? :sceptic: )

It was a really great chance for me to show my trains to Europe (I think, hungarian builders are not so known in Europe), and I had a lot of discussion with others involved in LEGO trains.

Hey all,

I'd like to share a new LDD MOC with you, unfortunately it's only LDD, but I hope after the "still LDD-MOC Railjet" I can build this hungarian train too. This new train is the hungarian BVmot EMU, or "Samu", as it is called between railway workers.

http://upload.wikime...atabanya001.jpg

This is a 20 years old engine designed for Intercity trains, which were also launched about twenty years ago in Hungary. Urfortunately, the State Railway ran out of money this time, and only three of these trains were built and bought. I like this engine because its front part is complex and hard to build from LEGO-bricks - the sloped strips and front makes is hard to built.

So, I got my LDD and tried to model this train, too.

Results:

26776093_3c5270cb35aea4d676fc23dfe31b5fd

Pantographs are not designed, putting a minifig hand into a 3 mm rigid hose is not allowed in LDD. :) Missing cheese slopes won't fit in LDD, but will fit in reality:

26776091_6e30b9896ebc8a64d8ae1dfe129ac42

Front view:

26776089_bfacf757c15d7f03332feef29fb7286

Here is the BS-gallery:

https://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=539496

Please leave your critics here. :)

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Finally my red Stadler FLIRT (showed here years before) won't be modified anymore, couple of days ago I added the last electric part to it, two pieces of PF polarity reversal bricks (the pantograph is a new design, too):

26776099_d441394e0747f948a341a3763167bfd

This polarity reversals goes for the front/tail lights, using them enables to switch front/tail lights individually, or turn them off, if two Stadler FLIRT units are coupled together. As at this point I won't modify it anymore, here is the final circuit diagram of the train:

26776097_50aee21f43adaf1b02b6bf1d3075e2e

The train is 1.6 metres long and its weight is around 4 kilograms - four train motors needed to make it fast. To spare some cost, two 9V train motors give the power supply to two PF train motors. All the indoor details are built, seats in real arrangement, color scheme of the floor, and the side wall of the train is red on the outer side, white is on the inner side (white indoor walls help a lot to make the indoor lights more noticeable).

Here is a picture of the indoor light in work:

26776095_dbf46f94f60adaff916c4a487ac5a40

As i finalize the LDD-file of the train, I'll share it with Train Tech community.

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen