Sign in to follow this  
Jack Bricker

Why were cannons in the USA non-shooting?

I know that this has probably been asked a thousand times and answered a thousand times in return but why did Lego stop shipping sets with shooting cannons to the US. It doesn't make any sense. They are not much more expensive to produce so their is no obviouse financial reason why they would do that. I do not believe there were any export issues involved with toy spring powered shooting cannons from Lego. So why was it done? If anybody knows would you please post a comment. I searched all over this forum and I haven't found a reason why Lego did this.

Safety. Yanks sue everyone over everything....

:pir_laugh2: + :cannon: = Lawyers

Why have they changed their mind? Beats me! :pir-laugh:

I think it was because of some toy safety issues.

Anyway, what bothers me more, is why are so many AFOLS making such a fuss about it? "I have non-shooting cannons, booo". Come on, how many of you are actually going to shoot them? I'm from Poland and (like all Europe I guess) they only sold shooting cannons in here. I have like 50 shooting cannons and TWO non-shooting ones. The ones with this cool emblem on the top. I got them with a used Imperial Flagship once (the classic one of course, not the new 2010 set :pir-tongue: ). I think they look way better than the shooting version, and I wish I had more of them to use in MOCs - they'd look so great, especially in imperial MOCs. The shooting aspect doesn't bother me at all. In fact I didn't like shooting them even when I was a kid, but maybe that's just me. :pir-classic:

I really don't see why some people are making such a big deal of it.

Come on, how many of you are actually going to shoot them?

I've shot mine once or twice; having to find the pieces afterwards kills the fun!

I'm from Poland

I didn't know that, even though it's in your profile... (I care 'cos my father was from Poland... I really must go there one day!)

:pir_laugh2: + :cannon: = Lawyers

Why have they changed their mind? Beats me! :pir-laugh:

:pir_laugh2: and that's perhaps a more interesting question to ask.

Because the grass is always greener on the other side. And 'kids' always want what they can't have. I don't own any of the non-shooting ones, but from pictures I don't think I'd like the emblem on top of the barrel. It doesn't look very Lego-y to me.

And then there were the ones with the black part in the back (the thing you pull out when you'd have a shooting version), were does non-shooting as well?

Edited by Rick

Seems like the question has been nailed. I remember thinking that the one shooting cannon my brother had was the most valuable thing in the world, and begging him to let me try it once. :pir_laugh2: I would agree that the pattern on non-shooting cannons is pretty cool. I believe it's also used in Western sets.

Wouldn't it be cool to transform a US cannon with emblem into a shooting cannon? I am pretty sure it can be done since the mechanism is not that complicated. Nonetheless, you would need to open the non-shooting cannong with a saw or a drilling device in order to make the transformation.

I am from Holland :pir-blush: and we only had the shooting cannons as well. I do own a couple non-shooting cannons, 3 to be precise. They were part of an inconspicuous eBay lot with knights, pirates and related stuff that I purchased somewhere in 2006-2007. Two of those non-shooting cannons have the cool crossed cannon emblem on the nozzle, the other one doesn't but has a "black towball" instead of a dark gray one (where one normally would pull the cannon to let it shoot).

Here is a link to the object (according to BrickLink this was only available in first pirate sets made between 1989 and 1991 (apparently it is an early design) and not in other lines where they used cannons such as Western sets:

non-shooting cannon with black handle

If the lack of shooting cannons is an object, it is always possible to win auctions off of European eBay sites (ebay.co.uk would do the trick for you) or to order them on BrickLink. Wonder what happens if one of those initially non-available cannons would cause a serious accident in the US :jollyroger: ... TLG can not prevent people from buying them abroad anyway. All they can do is avoid them being offered in new sets in the US.

Edited by jamtf

I assume we are referring to the new Pirates sets, because I have a bunch of shooting cannons from the 1989 line, and I live in the US.

I assume we are referring to the new Pirates sets, because I have a bunch of shooting cannons from the 1989 line, and I live in the US.

I think I remember (don't know the source anymore) that TLG initially released sets with shooting canons even in the U.S., but it was quickly changed. This must have been 1989, because canons were first used in pirates sets and 1989 was the debut year of pirates.

I've shot mine once or twice; having to find the pieces afterwards kills the fun!

True, also their targetting ability is practically non-existent with their erratic flight path. For me only the aesthetical aspect is what matters and I'm only concerned if the cannons look good in a set/MOC. The new 2009 cannons for instance have a nice look, but I couldn't care less if they are shooting or not. In fact I don't think I've fired any of the new cannons even once, just to see how they shoot. I simply don't care. :pir-classic:

It's nice to know your father was from Poland BTW, he must've travelled a long distance... :classic:

Anyway, what bothers me more, is why are so many AFOLS making such a fuss about it? "I have non-shooting cannons, booo". Come on, how many of you are actually going to shoot them? I'm from Poland and (like all Europe I guess) they only sold shooting cannons in here. I have like 50 shooting cannons and TWO non-shooting ones. The ones with this cool emblem on the top. I got them with a used Imperial Flagship once (the classic one of course, not the new 2010 set :pir-tongue: ). I think they look way better than the shooting version, and I wish I had more of them to use in MOCs - they'd look so great, especially in imperial MOCs. The shooting aspect doesn't bother me at all. In fact I didn't like shooting them even when I was a kid, but maybe that's just me. :pir-classic:

I am asking because I have aways admired mechanical things that work. I wanted to have pirate battles when I was a kid and I wanted the guns to actually work. I was always so curious about why Lego did not have those cannons in the US and so I am asking. As for the non-shooting ones. I hate the emblem on the top of the gun as it looks sooooo silly and all it does is sit there. Now here is an idea why doesn't anybody try to figure out how to have them fire altogether in ship MOCs. You got the computer bricks and the technic bricks to make it work. Why doesn't anybody try that.

Why doesn't anybody try that.

Probably because it takes away from the look of the MOC.

Probably because it takes away from the look of the MOC.

Although I sort of see your point I would like to point out also that particular part of the MOC is usually covered up by the upper deck :pir-classic: . I think that it could be done and that it would be really cool to have working lights and cannons on an MOC. When you start getting worried about the ship not looking detailed in parts that are covered up by the hull, upper deck, etc... I think that you should remember that ship is still a Lego ship not one of those wooden model ships with the plank on frame build. Besides I think it would be a lot of fun to figure out how to do it. :pir-sweet:

Edited by bengun

I agree :pir_laugh2: especiall when it blends n with the carpet. I live in the US and had one. Every kid wanted it too. :pir_laugh2:

:pir_laugh2: I have shooting cannons- but only thing that can be done with them is loosing your 1x1 round pieces- or "cannonballs"- i shoot them sometimes :pir-grin: and i have always problems to find those cannonballs from my floor- and of course they go under the sofa and everything :monkey: so they aren't very useful- fun though but not needed- still reason why there is none in US. is of course difference in safety legalization i think :pir-sad2:

Wouldn't it be cool to transform a US cannon with emblem into a shooting cannon? I am pretty sure it can be done since the mechanism is not that complicated. Nonetheless, you would need to open the non-shooting cannong with a saw or a drilling device in order to make the transformation.

Actually, such a conversion would be a lot easier than you might think. I ran across an article, (link), that showed how to disassemble a cannon.

The only (mechanical) difference between the two types of cannons is that the non-shooting cannon has a white plastic collar where the spring is on the shooting version. Replace the collar with a spring from a ballpoint pen, or somesuch, and you'll have a shooting cannon.

I hope someone can get some use out of this information.

Actually, such a conversion would be a lot easier than you might think. I ran across an article, (link), that showed how to disassemble a cannon.

:pir-tongue:No need to travel that far me-hearty!

Besides I think it would be a lot of fun to figure out how to do it. :pir-sweet:

Perhaps, but what ship ever fires all guns simultaneously? Even modern ships don't do that as it can cause them to heel over... :jollyroger:

But what made them unsafe? A puncture hazard?

LEGO element in the eye hazard. Didn't you get my subtle hint? -> :pir_laugh2: <- Would this one have been better? -> :pir-sceptic: <-

When I was younger I was told that someone actually did file a lawsuit in the US against Lego after a kid got shot in the eye with one of those cannons. I have absolutely no idea if that is true or not though.

When I was younger I was told that someone actually did file a lawsuit in the US against Lego after a kid got shot in the eye with one of those cannons. I have absolutely no idea if that is true or not though.

How does a kid shoot himself in the eye with a low power Lego cannon, that's ridiculously hard to operate, and get hurt badly enough that their parents sue Lego......

I do own one of the 2009 shooting cannons, and I jave yet to use it in a MOC because it doesn't match my non-shooters. On the topic of the meblem, I just turn my non-shooters over. Looks better to me for a Pirate creation.

Has anyone considered putting one of these on a "cannonball" to make it easier to find?

According to DK's 'The Lego Book' it was because of a health and safety law that was more extreme in the U.S than in other countries.

Wouldnt be supprised if it was caused by a law suit, lets face it in western society there are too many lawyers and too many idiots who dont take responsibilty for their actions thus when they hurt themselves they sue which in turn takes the fun out of it for the rest of the population.

an example here in Australia would have been when some guy got drunk and went swimming in the surf late at night/early morning BY HIMSELF and got toppled over by a large wave and had his neck/back broken when he got slammed into a sand bar... he sued the life guards (who weren't even there as they dont patrol at night) ..... what a twat

I'd say i do go out of my way to get the older style firing cannons but this is largely just match the theme which was predetirmened when i got the sets back in 1989. but it is quite easy to get just about any cannon you want, if you really want firing cannons i recomend eBay UK - i managed to get over 20 firing cannons just this Xmas and they were quite cheap even with postage costs.

as for firing them i guess its only when i build new sets - just to test that they do work :pir_laugh2:

the one thing id love to see is a technic electric motor MOC built into a ship so it can fire several cannons automatically. something along the lines of: a bit of string with one end attached to the cannon and the other end to a rotating rod (which winds up the string thus pulling back the cannons spring) - "bags not" collecting all the cannon balls though!!

Perhaps, but what ship ever fires all guns simultaneously? Even modern ships don't do that as it can cause them to heel over...

They fired them in a rapid sequence, I believe it's called a broadside... Turn your speakers up really loud and click below:

Edited by NorthernKnight

Stupid OTT safety laws - I love my firing cannons and often deliberately build buildings using flat plates to knock them down.

If I got hit in my eye...

1. I would blame myself for aiming it there and not tell anyone and deal with it

2. If my parents wanted to sue (altough mine aren't that type) I would convince them otherwise

3. There is a very clear picture displaying the danger of shooting parts in the instructions so TLG have already addressed the (pathetic) hazard.