Sign in to follow this  
Rijkvv

ARTICLE: The history of Res-Q

Res-Q.png

Improvement needed.

In the history of Lego town, there was a big improvement needed for emergency workers. Ambulances were too late at the accident, and capacity to get some medical assistance was not enough to be really helpful. After some serious accidents, where civillian salvage tools had to be rent, it was clear that the rescue services had to be reorganized.

foundingresq1.jpg

The first steps.

In 1992, Unit 1896 went into service. This unit had a futuristic high-speed ambulance, a high-speed doctor's car, a motorbike and a helicopter. The heli also had some stretchers at both sides. Maybe not the most comfortable solution, but certainly quicker and better than the previous ones.

1896-1.jpg

In the years after that, every rescue action went well. The Miniland dead count by accidents was the lowest in the continent. But there was still improvement needed. Although the medical assistance was the best possible, salvaging victims that were trapped in their vehicles, as well as evacuation of victims at heavy weather and in remote locations was almost impossible. The Coast Guard opened their new station in 1995, and a year later their offshore sea cutter went into service, but even this ship was no match for the extreme hurricanes that were coming. The people knew the calm weather wouldn't last long, because the region knew the worst natural disasters ever and almost every year there was a heavy storm.

Just in time.

The solution came in 1997. Three wise men, who founded Unit 1896, decided to start Res-Q. A base was needed, as well as five extra units for different tasks. Some minor units were stationed in other parts of the city. The vehicles had the same futuristic look as Unit 1896, and almost the same color scheme. This all was just in time. In the winter of 1997, the worst weather in almost 1000 years created general destruction. Cars were blown into the sea, bridges collapsed, trees fell on cars... there was no place where you could shelter. Res-Q saw it's first action. The former commandos, firefighters and of course members of Unit 1896 worked hard to save as many lives as possible. After the narrow escape from death, the major of the city decided that the whole world should take advantage of the system. In january 1998, only weeks after the hurricane, many vehicles went into service in every continent. Every nation wanted to have well-equiped vehicles with a crew that would risk their lives to save other people. This was the time I first met the brave men and their fantastic vehicles.

foundingresq2.jpg

In the golden years of Res-Q, they had personnel and vehicles for every situation. Everything excellent equiped. Unit 6445 for example was not just an ordinary ambulance. It had off-road tires and a zip-line for a quick evacuation. An ice axe could bring the rescue worker to places where even his vehicle couldn't come. Both the Units 6451 and 6473 had an additional vehicle, while 6451 also had a rubber boat.

6445-1.jpg6451-1.jpg6473-1.jpg

The downfall of Res-Q.

In 1999 and 2000 the workers had to rely on their vehicles. The manufacturer was in financial troubles, and hoped to solve the problem by making the vehicles uncomplicated and simple. This had not the effect the company had hoped for. The vehicles were not as advanced as their predecessors and were hated by the Res-Q personnel. They lacked tools and salvage gear. After two years large strikes dominated the street views in town. The Res-Q workers didn't want to fly in an unreliable chopper. The manufacturer decided to get back to the advanced vehicles. For Res-Q it was too late. The stations were dismantled and the vehicles were scrapped.

Let's hope a new rescue organization is found, or even re-activation of Res-Q. We never know what disasters mother Nature has in mind...

Edited by TheBrickster

Cool article. I like your use of the catalog pictures. :grin:

Res-Q is probably my favorite subtheme from the late 90s, and is evidence that TLG still knew how to make good sets during the town junior era. I think 6473 is the best set of the line. As you said, the theme definitely seems to have been inspired by the earlier Trauma Team set.

Thanks.

This was ment to be a sort of tribute, it's one of my favorites as well. Too bad I only own one set. Should get it complete with stickers, and then the rest of the theme. I never saw a (sub)theme with a wow-factor like Res-Q, not even Divers. Back then I didn't think about juniorization, but now I realize this was one of the last great themes before the dark times. Before the juniorization. Too bad this theme ended with Jack Stone sets.

I have something with rescue organizations with high-tech equipment. The Thunderbirds was my favorite TV series as a kid. :grin:

Nice article Richie. These indeed were some pretty decent designs, considering it was at the time Town Jr. was dominating our beloved mainstream town line. Along with the Divers subtheme, these were pretty much the only decent sets available during the time TLG seriously lost its way. The only thing I don't really like are the trans-dark-blue wind screens.

These sets used to be pretty cheap on ebay, at least a few years ago. I got all 7 of the Res-Q sets MISB around 2005, and most were significantly less than their original prices.

This theme was around at the same time as Extreme Team, and in fact 6462 came with an Extreme Team guy being rescued. I think the idea was that the Extreme Team did extreme things and got themselves into trouble, and Res-Q was there to bail them out. :laugh:

That sounds logical to me. In the Dutch version of the weekly Donald Duck magazine an advertize was placed, with the same background as the catalog. Two sets were placed in boxes (like in catalogs), one being 6473 Res-Q Cruiser, the other being 6584 Extreme Team Challenge. It also said "11 new sets" or something like that.

Great article 'Richie'. :grin:

Some of those Res-Q vehicles I had not seen before, I think the design had been watching too many The Thunderbirds re-runs though. :oh3:

The last picture frame has a rescue truck in it, first time I have seen that - though I prefer my own Police Rescue van, but for the 1990's it was perfect ! :grin:

Thanks for writing it :sweet: , oh yeah I agree with 'Legoliner Pilot', could you write one on the history of City (It would be a long one - you would have to do it in parts.) :classic:

Interesting read Richie. I had a few of the ResQ sets, which I reviewed right here in Train & Town - it was a neat theme.

I think this deserves a front-page blog! :thumbup:

Thanks for the article! I had almost forgotten this line even existed.

I find myself attracted to the 7726 Coast Guard Truck with Speed boat, as well as the new 7213 Fire Truck with Boat. Both of these, as well as a couple of the other coast guard sets with ATV's and the new fire helicopter, are almost ResQ style.

They could come out with a great high-angle rope rescue set, both for outdoor and industrial accidents. Also maybe a nice extraction team with jaws of life and lifting bags, etc.

Here in the USA many search & rescue teams are volunteer, but coordinated by the county sheriff or park ranger where the search is taking place. I might have to make a MOC with a nice police radio van, and some volunteers in 4x4 trucks, on horses, and on foot.

All in all I think it's a town sub-theme that deserves reintroduction, or at least to be expanded under the coast guard/fire/police themes.

Cool article. I like your use of the catalog pictures. :grin:

Res-Q is probably my favorite subtheme from the late 90s, and is evidence that TLG still knew how to make good sets during the town junior era. I think 6473 is the best set of the line. As you said, the theme definitely seems to have been inspired by the earlier Trauma Team set.

I agree with this post. :thumbup:

By the way, speaking of Thunderbirds, I was listening to the Thunderbirds theme song as I was reading this topic. :grin: I thought it would be great music for RES-Q.

-Toa Of Justice

@The Brickster: thanks for blogging it! :classic:

@Legoliner Pilot and lightningtiger: I don't think I'll write an article about City. I still don't really like it, the only improvement in the past years was the switch to 6-wide trucks. If you mean town from the 90s, I don't know much about the history (dating back to the 50s). For this article I knew almost everything, even the 1991 catalog picture still in my memories. The only thing I discovered after my dark age was the existence of set 1896. I think City is a too large theme to write a good article about.