scruffulous

MOC: Class 66

I entered this MOC of a Class 66 in the 66 in 6 challenge over at LEGO Train MOCs on Flickr. It occurred to me that I should also post it on Eurobricks given the huge number of 66s operating in Europe.

4188374200_fcffda18b3.jpg

A couple of notes about the build:

• It is 7 studs wide and ~58 studs long.
  • It is powered by power functions. A medium motor drives the leading and trailing wheels on each truck, the centre wheels float. The IR receiver is hidden under the (transparent) inertial filter (?), and the rechargable battery sits in the fuel tank.

I'm hoping to post a video of it in operation as soon as I can get some spare time to build a loop and film it.

Very nicely done! Meticulous detail under the body of the loco, and how did you get the stickers to work on the grille bricks?

I'd love to do a version of an Irish class 201 locomotive, which is an unusual variant of the Class 66, being much the same loco but designed for hybrid use (passenger as well as freight). The most obvious difference is quite different-looking cab ends.

I can appreciate the need to have floating wheels in the middle of each group - anytime I've tried to model 201 class I've decided the ordinary Lego bogie wheels mounted in threes on bogies look pathetic for the model. Are the groups of wheels mounted on bogies?

Wow! Great work there! I particularly like the shape of the roof and how you achieved it. In addition, the SNOT work to achieve the cab shape is very well done. The stickers are superb and really add to the realism of the MOC. I also like how you chose to hide the IR receiver under the transparent curved slopes. Very innovative and something I had not seen before. Would you be willing to post some pictures of your truck design and how the motors interface with the trucks?

Great work!

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Looks like you put a lot of effort into this, the details are incredibly accurate. All the markings on the side really make it look great as well. The colors go together well. :thumbup:

Very Nice!

How many hours' work did it take you? I guess well over 50!

Will it handle curves OK:

- are the couplings attached to the bogies or the loco body?

- Is the wheelbase of the bogies OK with curves or have you replicated the wheel turning geometry from the real thing?

Mark

Some one give this man a pedestal! And a medal!

Very well done. I love the detail and the scaled proportions. All the the brain cells spent to figure out how to design the build paid off. :tongue:

A Fantasticly detailed MOC scruffulous :thumbup::wub:

It looks amazing! I really like the colour cobo of the Grey, Yellow and Black, They look Great together! :thumbup:

Well done and good luck with the challenge!

CommanderFox

Simply amazing Locomotive!! :wub:

Wonderful detailed work! Simply love that decal on the grilled bricks and the colour scheme is simply mesmersing!!

Thank you for sharing !! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone.

...how did you get the stickers to work on the grille bricks?

Are the groups of wheels mounted on bogies?

The "stickers" are actually waterslide decals. They are extremely thin, which makes them difficult to apply, but has the advantage that they can conform to the contours of the grille bricks.

There are 6 wheels mounted on two bogies. The sides of the bogies conceal much of the wheels, so it is not really apparent that the centre wheelset floats from side-to-side.

I take it that it's a 66/9?

The Fastline locos arrived in the UK in the middle of this year, so I guess they are 66/9s (i.e. the low-emission class 66 variant).

Would you be willing to post some pictures of your truck design and how the motors interface with the trucks?

I'm hoping to take some shots (and perhaps a video) tonight. I'm off to the beach tomorrow, so tonight is my last chance until Christmas...

How many hours' work did it take you? I guess well over 50!

Will it handle curves OK:

- are the couplings attached to the bogies or the loco body?

- Is the wheelbase of the bogies OK with curves or have you replicated the wheel turning geometry from the real thing?

It did take a long time...50 hrs is probably a reasonable estimate, perhaps a bit more. Most of the time was taken in designing the bogies...your comment on those is insightful: the wheelbase length is close to the limit for standard LEGO curves, and it does labour slightly when negotiating curves. It occasionally derails, but I think this is related more to the bogies not pivoting smoothly under the chassis rather than the long wheelbase. I'd love to see a bogie design that includes wheel turning geometry...I wouldn't know where to start. I haven't dealt with the coupling issue...attaching couplings to the body will be problematic because of the overhang on curves, but attaching them to the bogies would mean the end-plate would need to pivot with the bogies and would look terrible on curves. I'll probably just keep it as a standalone loco and continue to ignore the coupling problem (I don't have any rolling stock for it to pull anyway!).

...now I'm off to the beach.

..and I am just back from the beach in sunny Morocco :tongue:

This is truly a great locomotive...but is it possible to run on normal track beeing so long ???

I saw the compettion on Flickr (beeing a member of the same group there) but the due date was then so close

I didn't have time to participate, allthough that would have been an interesting challenge.

Hope to see more of your designs in the future :tongue:

New photos and a video up on Flickr.

Thanks for posting up the video. It's always nice to see how engines of this size negotiate turns.

Very nicely done all the way around.

Hi Scruffulous,

I'm pretty sure you're in Australia, so are you planning to come to Brickvention? Will I get to see this awesome Moc in the brick?

I've been following this on flickr, not only because of the challenge but I've been most interested in your bogie design.

Peter

I'm pretty sure you're in Australia, so are you planning to come to Brickvention? Will I get to see this awesome Moc in the brick?

Yes, I'm in Aus and hoping to be at Brickvention, and yes, if I'm there you will get to see the MOC in the brick. I guess I better go and register.