51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

LEGO has annually released for the past six or seven years a beautiful Creator house. The first years they were white with red. Then came the beige town house, the yellow vacation house and this year we've got the Family Home.

This set has been released in July. With its 976 pieces and a price of 59,99 euro, it is an expensive building. However, LEGO is always expensive and so are these annual Creator houses. When you've got the chance to buy them on sale, don't hesitate! I've always hesitated and this is the first one I bought for a price of 40 euro. With the pieces, and instructions, you can build three models. I have chosen to build the main model because the others don't look so interesting to me. So I'm not going to talk about them, if you would like to see the others, click here.

The box is filled up well, unlike some other huge boxes. There are four instruction booklets, two for the main house.

img_4862.jpg

On to the building. In one word: beautiful. As you can see, the designers have done a very good job on the architecture. The little pond looks nice, with a brick built duck. There's even a birdbath, a golden one, lucky birds. A patio, and a sliding door, with dark tan tiles make it even better. Above the front door is a big light. The chimney is also very nice. And little thing to nitpick about; the roof looks a bit unfinished without the upper slopes (but otherwise it wouldn't be able to dismantle the two parts of the first floor). But if you want to, it can be made sleeker when you put them on yourself. The colors match so well together!

img_4861.jpg

img_4865.jpg

img_4866.jpg

img_4867.jpg

img_4868.jpg

Some close-ups of the building techniques or special parts. The building of this set was pretty interesting with the use of jumper plates.

img_4870.jpg

img_4874.jpg

img_4875.jpg

There's also an upper floor. The windows here make use of the new window shutters. I wasn't fond of them at first, but they start growing on me. The problem is that they aren't put on the window itself, but on a brick with clips next to it. That means you have to offer brick space when building your own MOCs. You can take the roof apart, in two pieces. There's room enough for a small desk and perhaps a bed.

img_4876.jpg

img_4877.jpg

img_4878.jpg

It's common that Creator sets don't have decent interiors. But they've managed to put in a fireplace and stairs on the ground floor, though a fireplace in your hall. Doesn't make much sense to me. It's up to you if you add interior or not, there's plenty of room.

img_4881.jpg

img_4882.jpg

img_4883.jpg

Conclusion: like I've said, 6754 Family Home is a beautiful set. The building was relaxing, like it has to be, with some nice techniques and much jumperplates to make the windows stand out. The architecture has been done well, the amount of details is perfect. The color sheme makes this set stand out, I wasn't so sure at first thought, but blue, tan, white and red mix very well together.. And the amount of tan comes in handy. The Family Home is also a very sturdy set, it doesn't break apart when there's played with it.The only things I don't like so much are the fact that the roof isn't made perfect, but if it would have been difficult to break the upper floor in two pieces. And also the plants, they don't look so good, that's fixed fast with some proper LEGO plants and flowers. And 6754 Family Home can be considerd as a parts pack, if you are able to buy one at a low price. I use mine in my town because it goes well with minifigures.

I hope you've enjoyed this review! :sweet:

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Fine review!

The set is excellent!

I like the overall appearance, and details like sliding door, little pond, and design of the windows!

Really nice set!

An exellent review and a very nice set, I am fortunute enough to have picked this set up for just £2 which is fantastic but I think that the £50 rrp is a bit steep, the only problem I have with this set is the lack of interior and as with most of my models I took elements of each book and merged them into one to make a fantastic set. Thanks for this review

Nice set with great color scheme. I find the price is a little bit steep but it still makes a nice addition in your City layout since Creator houses are being done at a regular basis. The tan bricks is much better than the common white bricks, and having them as parts could be quite useful.

Thanks for sharing it with us, and I can't help but to notice that you have been contributing reviews in our EB Community. Ever thought of signing up Reviewers Academy? :classic:

Nice review of a nice set. The only odd thing is the yellow door. It just doesn't match the tan of the building. Compared to 'older' creator houses. The good thing is that it has such a detailed 'garden' and the fact that there is a full first floor installed and not just an empty inside.

An exellent review and a very nice set, I am fortunute enough to have picked this set up for just £2 which is fantastic but I think that the £50 rrp is a bit steep, the only problem I have with this set is the lack of interior and as with most of my models I took elements of each book and merged them into one to make a fantastic set. Thanks for this review

How did you get this set for £2? Do you have pictures of your model with elements that you took from each book? I'd love to see them!

Thanks for reviewing this set. I have it myself (I foolishly bought it early for €62.50, but the shop only a month or two later was selling them for €50 - still I got a voucher of €20 for reaching €120 spent in that shop).

I find the alternate models pretty poor, they use a limited quantity of the parts, and to be honest I think it shows as the constructions are a big small/lacking.

I love the parts in this set, but even the main model, I would definitely put as "average". Average means not even the median quality (i.e. what most sets are close to) but a bit better even than that (as the cool exclusives pull up the average and Lego currently have few pathetic sets). I think it's thus a bit of a stretch to describe this set as anything other than average.

I can't get enough tan bricks :) Also while red roof bricks are perhaps less versatile than black, I didn't really have any, so it was a good set to rectify that. The plates are also great to have, and I stole the white ones already for the Winter village MOC (as regards white Lego, it is one colour I really love in the recent sets, whatever about translucency issues for other colours or them differing in shade from ones just a couple years ago or even still present in today's sets - I think I will have to separate my older white as I do not like to use it as much).

How did you get this set for £2? Do you have pictures of your model with elements that you took from each book? I'd love to see them!

It was an argos returns pallet that I purchased for £50 which had loads of argos toys that had been returned for one reason of another and the creator house was sitting in it becuase it had one peice missing and after working out each of the toys cost the house worked out at being about £2, also included was ramasis pyramid lego game.

Here is the photo of the house that I built

DSC06329.jpg

Thanks 'Matn' for a review on a sweet family home. :sweet:

My son begged for one of these houses, he got it. :grin:

Quite an impressive build and ready for 'pimp-my-home'.

I'm thinking bedroom with ensuite upstairs and kitchen-dinette downstairs.

Again thank you. :sweet:

Great review, beautifully taken pictures. :thumbup:

Hope to see more reviews from Matn for the coming 2010 sets. The new creator house perhaps? :wink:

Personally i think this house is great for tan bricks for MOCs even if you don't like the design.

Anyone has pimped up interiors to share?

I rate it oustdanding. I really wish I had a place to put (it's been less than 2 years and my custom-built closet is nearly full).

Thanks for this very nice review Matn!

I'm literally seconds away from taking the decision of buying it. It costs €79.99 here in Greece and this is the only reason that makes me have second thoughts. :hmpf_bad:

Almost 1000 parts is a great thing though. :thumbup:

Very nice set! With a lot of tan... :thumbup:

Don't you just love this colour? :blush:

Its a VERY nice set and a great source of parts.

My only criticism is that it doesn't have the ridge capping pieces (a common shortfall of sets containing a sloped roof these days unfortunatly)

Got this set as an early Birthday present from my parents (Birthday's end of January if anyone's feeling generous enough into getting me a Cafe Corner or 2 :tongue: )

Haven't had chance to build it yet as I've only just got home.

May have a look tomorrow

OK, it's built.

Not a bad model to build but could have done with a few "real" looking plants for the garden instead of the ones included.

Maybe a bit of furniture for inside the house? A settee or bed (Had to make my own) & maybe a minifig or two would've been a bonus too.

Had to raid the parts bin for bricks to construct a wall at the top of the staircase too to stop minifigs getting up blurry eyed & plunging head over the edge!

Quite a big model to build though, enough to keep you occupied for a few hours.

Might not be the place to ask, but seeing as theres a few that have clearly built it here - is it normal to have a MASSIVE number of spares left over when building the standard set (two instruction books). I've 6 2x10 tan bricks, a 1x1x5 tan support pillar, a 6x2 white plate and some other bricks - as well as the standard extra cheese, plates, etc. And a red minifig-compatible cup which seems odd for Creator?

Are these for the other models or have I just managed to miss a massive step in the instructions - and still get a standing model!

Edited by Cian

They are most deifinitely for the other models. It wouldn't be really possible to have 3 totally different models with using the exactly same parts for everyone.

Yes, indeed they are for the alternative models. I have to admit I also freaked out when I was ready with building as I've never got a LEGO Creator house before. :blush: But as the alternative models don't look so good compared with the first model, they are nice extras!

It looks amazing. Love the architecture in general, along with the funny little add-ins like the duck pond.

A must buy, unless I can afford the Grand Emporium. :wink:

This is a truly beautiful set! :thumbup: The only thing i don't like i that i had 2 missing pieces- 1x4 brick and 1x2x2 angular brick. :sadnew:

Anyway everything that Creator set has to have: nice building tehniques, playability, awesome looks, a lot of useful bricks... :classic:

I have two four of these sets, just for the amount of tan bricks, windows, jumper plates and tiles, and now they are turned MOC's. Great house but still better collection of parts.

Edited by alois

I managed to find a MISB copy of this in my local Toys R Us store, last month. They must have discovered it hidden in the storeroom or something.

I built the third model (I think), this one:

otherhouse4.jpg

It was a pretty swanky and modern design. I liked all the tan and plates in this set, I especially can't get enough blue plates for water. There wasn't much in the way of special pieces, but that's Creator for you. It did have a gold dish piece and a clear "minifig head" brick, used to make a lantern. I really liked the sliding door in this set.

Oh one thing that bummed me out was that the backside of the house is just a tall tan brick wall! That's too boring. Display this bad boy with his back facing the wall. It looks like the other models have this problem too.

I like the Creator houses a lot. So far, the Beach House is my favorite. I wasn't able to build the Apple Tree House, because my girlfriend highjacked the bricks to try and make our house out of Lego. I still have the Log Cabin set to make, but somehow I'm not too excited about that one; I think the log cabin will end up being disassembled quickly. Looking forward to the lighthouse set later this year though.

Edited by Zeya